1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cristal4.0

Discussion in 'CW Dynasty' started by thomaswak, Nov 17, 2019.

1. thomaswak

thomaswak Soap Chat Well-Known Member EXP: 11 Months

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +976
    I've noticed here that Cristal3.0 receives a lot of hate :
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=10&v=TE2drolksCw&feature=emb_logo

The question now, is : do we need to prepare ourselves for Cristal4.0 :D ?

I'm quite confident they won't recast the character (3 Cristal is already way too ridiculous)
    But if they had to, who do you see for the role? I mean, @Alexis suggested Nicollette Sheridan and @Ked suggested Elaine Hendrix for Alexis. Now it's time for us to cast the next Cristal, as recasting tradition. This topic, is not be taken seriously, and is just for fun and fantasy.

I like Dania Ramirez. The only problem is that she's shorter than previous Cristals :
    Nathalie Kelley : 5.7
    Ana Brenda Contreras : 5.6
    Daniella Alsono : 5.7
    Dania Ramirez : 5.4

[​IMG]

But, she can play lovable characters with moral and values and make it work (Rosita Sanchez)
    She had an amazing chemistry with Grant Show

And they already got married

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
  2. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Star EXP: 2 Years

Threads:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +4,061
    The Gillieathon actually turned the original Krystle's character into Anders--he is the one providing a moral compass and support to the rest. Instead of yet another recast, they would do well to bring back an original cast member, Steven, have him again be the more ethical voice and have him deliver Adam his comeuppance (but only very shortly. Sam Underwood is the best thing they have).

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior EXP: 12 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +9,381
    Oh FFS! I vote for a CGI young Linda Evans. What age is Jessica Player?

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator EXP: 19 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +5,653
    What really surprises me is the amount of negative things I hear elsewhere about Ana-Brenda's portrayal of C2. I actually liked her tenure, at least her contributions as an actress. The writing bugged me because they went too far with the "is she as nice as she seems, or is she playing everyone?" angles, careening back and forth to a point where I didn't CARE if she was good or evil or somewhere in between. If they had finally decided to make her "on Blake's side" as C3 obviously is, then I would have liked to see A-BC continue in the role. But to hear some online speak of her, they thought she was terrible. Of course a lot of it comes from the "They never should have let Nathalie Kelley go" brigade, people who feel the need to tear down one person in an effort to elevate another. I agree with them in principle (NK's Cristal/Celia struck the right balance of right/wrong when dealing with Blake's machinations), but once NK took off they needed to accept the new normal. It wasn't A-BC's fault that NK left, so why heap scorn on her?

[rant over]

I think that they will work much harder to keep Daniela Alonso on board as C3, if not just to avoid the negative/derisive press it would create if they recast again.
    And now Cristal is doing all the dirty work that Anders used to do to bail Blake out of his messes! By the end of the season, she'll be heaving corpses into the lake. Come to think of it, I have a list I could give her....

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. GillesDenver

GillesDenver Soap Chat Fan EXP: 2 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +726
    Joseph should become transgender so Linda Evans could replace Alan Dale as "Josephine" !

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior EXP: 12 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +9,381
    Is Joan Collins available? I would love to see Cristal#3 go up the stairs and then see Joan Collins come down along with a voice over saying "The part of Cristal Carrington will now be played by Dame Joan Collins" that I would tune in for.

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. thomaswak

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +976
    A cristal recast would be a disaster. We would have Nathalie Kelly fans, Ana Brenda Contreras fans, and Danielle Alsonso fans say : "I hate the new Cristal, I miss _ _ _ _ _" (fill with any of the names mentioned just before)...

Each new Cristal will receive hate from the previous ones fans. It's a malediction that can only get worse each time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Star EXP: 2 Years

Threads:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +4,061
    But we can deal with a total crowd of 15-16 people...

• Funny Funny x 4
  9. Grant Jennings

Grant Jennings Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,052
    I like Daniella Alonso, though I liked Ana Brenda Contreras too, I think Alonso brings more energy to the role and has better chemistry with Grant Show. I don't want Cristal to be a bland Stepford Wife but I think they've made her too much of a mob wife. The writers struck the right tone toward the end of season one with Celia questioning Blake's tactics and supporting the Culhane family; if only the network hadn't given so much weight to the dreaded focus groups. I really hope Cristal has a wake-up moment and becomes morally grounded - the "healer" she was initially written as when she was introduced. I could see it being revealed that Mack didn't fire the shot that killed Mark and caused Cristal's miscarriage with her saying "my God, Blake, what have we done!"

10. thomaswak

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +976
    So far, they are at least 112 (No kidding)
    But it's rising :D

11. Mason Carrington

Mason Carrington Soap Chat Member EXP: 1 Year

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I like the latest Cristal. I thought the issues people were having was with the actual character, not the actress.

12. thomaswak

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +976
    I like all the Cristal actresses. My preference still is Nat Kelley.

Ana was really likable when she was playing that nice, sweet, healer Cristal. Then they tried to turn her into a scheming "Bonnie Parker". It didn't work imo.
    Daniella is working better as scheming Cristal. Better chemistry with Grant than Ana too. Anyway, the writers have decided that Daniella's Cristal would be bad ass, so now we have to live with that. She will never be that moral compass much needed in the show. Unless she has a huge change of heart when/if she discover that Mack was innocent, and that she was accomplice of his murder with no reason., as @Grant Jennings said.

Unfortunately, this Dynasty never got the relation dynamics right. The pilot and early episodes were a huge problem. Fallon fighting her father for power?? Fallon was supposed to love Blake unconditionally. Without this love, Fallon and Alexis dynamic could not work either : Alexis was going for Blake's head and Fallon was the one fighting against Alexis, rejecting her, and even was ready to lie for her dad during a trial. Fallon would do anything for Blake, especially in early seasons. And this loved could balance Fallon : she was selfish, she was mean with Krystle, she used Jeff, but she undconditionnaly loved her father and her brother. That's how the Fallon character could work. And Blake loved Fallon too, even if he knew her flaws. That was a great dynamic. Sure they had their fights sometimes, but their love was above them. With Nu Dynasty, I don't feel that love between Grant's Blake and Elizabeth's Fallon. They are just selfish characters.

We were many to complain about this : in the show, everybody was a bitch. Everybody but Steven. And what have they done to him? Steven now is not even a Carrington, and everybody has totally forgotten is very existence. I don't know why the writers hate so much moral compass character, or characters with values. Oh, yes, they implied they were less interesting. Yeah, moral compass are less fascinating. But they are much needed to balance a show. No great villain without great hero.

I understand that - for some reasons - they didn't want to go "full OG Dynasty" and put some twists and changes with the characters. I'm ok with that, as long as the dynamics still work. The relations have to be organic, not forced.

They got Cristal 1 wrong since day one, and when they finally fixed her by the end of the season, she's killed.

In a perfect world, Cristal 1 would still be here, Alexis would have gone under plastic surgery only once (From NS to EH) and I'm pretty sure that the ratings would have been a bit better now.

And The CW has to realize that the writing is way more important than endless recast. Look at Fear The Walking Dead. Most fans hated Madison. I hated her too. And fans thought that season 1 & 2 were average to ok. The Show Runner fired all the writers and hired new ones for season 3, and now the fandom (I included) consider that season 3 was amazing. And they made me love Madison! With season 3 the character was more layered. They didn't change her radically. But she wasn't annoying and cringy anymore. Her dialogues and reactions were great... Unfortunately, they changed the show runner and all the writers again, they killed two of the main cast, Madison included, and now fans consider that season 4 was bad and season 5 is the ultimate crap. I can't agree more.

Whatever the genre is (Comedy, Drama, soap, sci-fi) watchers need their show to be taken seriously. Bad decisions like Fallexis and 3 recast do damages they don't even seem to understand.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,700
    I say let's diminish the role like the actresses height. Each time they recast Cristal the actress becomes shorter and shorter until Fallon - walking through the corridors of the Carrington mansion - stops and exclaims, "Anders can you send a servant, I think I stepped in something."

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,700
    I think that's the point of new Dynasty and most of us have missed it. Go way back to the pilot episode and Fallon introducing us to the world of the 1% of the 1% and she references the Trumps, Murdochs and Kardashians. If you look closely at these families you'll discover it's about me...me...me.

The problem in attempting to offer this kind of behavior with a series like Dynasty is ordinary viewers will switch off because they/we simply cannot relate to it. Original Dynasty gave us a glimpse into the opulent lifestyle of the rich and for a while viewers thoroughly enjoyed it...and why? Because it offered us an escape from our own dreary lives and imagined what it would be like to live like the Carrington family.

The other notably difference between the older version and this version was the original played it straight, no matter how ridiculous the script became. This new version just hams it up far too often. As I've said many times, I laugh at it, not with it and there is a huge difference.

I'm not sure what new Dynasty was meant to be and clearly it doesn't because not many (viewers) are interested either.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +3,616
    This is what bothers me the most with killing Celia off - in theory, it's actually a decent twist, especially since they already had a "real" Cristal out there somewhere and in the first part of the season Celia/Cristal didn't exactly work out as a character. Since they claimed that they were set to kill her off by the time they got the full season order (essentially episode 14 forwards), then why didn't they blow up her and Blake's relationship more? Personally, I would've had her and Blake's relationship come to a point where even the viewers can't believe that it could be redeemed. Instead they ended up fixing the character and moving her into the right direction, which just made killing her off a slightly bizarre move. That way it also would at least set up Blake to be able to move on more quickly.

As you said, I thought Ana Brenda was well-cast as "the healer" character that it originally seemed like they were setting her up to be... then they all of a sudden had to saddle her with a mob past, which was where they seemed to initially go wrong with Cristal1.0/Celia. It's like they desperately wanted Cristal to have an exciting past because being a working class woman with a mundane divorce in the past is just too boring.

At least now they've decided on a direction for Cristal to go into, which likely makes it easier for Alonso to play her. You could almost see Ana Brenda being a bit confused at times what direction she was meant to go in.

• Agree Agree x 4
  16. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle EXP: 19 Years

Threads:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +9,209
    I still say the original plan going back to 2017 was to have multiple Cristals meet up in the finale and beat the hell out of each other in a fountain. Maybe they can shoot it at Piedmont Park in the pond. With all the gays clapping and booing, depending on who's dunk-slapping whom.

Maybe they can coax Collins into making a cameo to break it all up with a shotgun blast, facilitating a group miscarriage. And for all that you really need as many Cristals as possible.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator EXP: 19 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +5,653
    The back-story on Cristal/Celia (as I recall it--correct me if I'm wrong) is that when Celia (and Sam) crossed the border into Arizona, Celia was really sick--like, deathly ill. She ended up at that spa/clinic where Cristal Jennings was working, and the folks at the spa nursed her back to health. Cristal and Celia became friends and when it came time for Celia and Sam to depart, Cristal gave Celia permission (for some reason I can't fathom) to use her identity/name Cristal Flores (her maiden name). Celia then went to Atlanta to start her meteoric rise up the ladder at Carrington-Atlantic, while I assume Cristal Jennings continued working at the spa until she read that Cristal Flores Carrington (AK Celia Machado) had died in a fire. Cristal J seemed perfectly okay with Celia running around using her social security number and claiming to be her...but then, Cristal also seemed perfectly fine with sliding into Celia's grieving husband's bed in record time. Now we see Cristal Carrington (nee Jennings) is this savvy, manipulative operator who can scheme with the best of them--and apparently it's a family trait. If they had written her that way from the day she arrived, it would have saved a lot of time, but I don't think it was purposeful--they just didn't know what they wanted to do with the character. THIS Cristal would never have been okay with some stranger running around claiming her identity, but A-BC's Cristal would not have engaged in the childish bickering with Adam that we've seen her doing this season. And I certainly can't picture DA's Cristal offering spiritual advice involving yoga chants and healing crystals in a Sedona spa.

Rather than a Piedmont Park throwdown with multiple Cristals, I'd prefer a one-on-one with DA's Cristal duking it out with NK's Celia at Stone Mountain, with Cristal ultimately getting thrown under the toy train that takes the tourists up and down; but just as everyone welcomes Celia back and assumes Cristal is dead, she shows up at the manor with her face all bandaged up, facilitating C4's startling introduction. And at this point, Fallon stays true to her word and throws herself down the stairs.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Milescolby

Milescolby Soap Chat Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +82
    The writing remains the biggest problem for Cristal. I really liked Daniella in the first couple of episodes, but perhaps partly because of the novelty factor.

But then the writers made her a one dimensional mob princess, and what makes this worse is that Daniella doesn’t come across as being that likeable in her performance. Much as Ana Brenda sometimes got lost in scenes, she had natural warmth in spades. The feud with Adam came from nowhere - they barely interacted at all in S2 and then this - without any reference to Adam’s issues with mother figures, which they could easily have exploited here and/or made a point of Cristal intuitively feeling uneasy about him and what he’s capable of. Instead she just comes off as jealous of him without any more shades to it. Or if there are, they have gone completely over my head.

Perhaps as the fallout from the Fallon & Nadia revelation develops, things will become clearer - and also when Alexis returns, she might reveal more about the fire incident to Cristal.

But the problem remains as it always was with the writing, and recasting again would just perpetuate this.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +22,568
    I have yet to read a season 3 review that makes me think "I wanna see this"

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. thomaswak

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +976
    Yep. I really liked Daniella as C3 in the first episodes, but now, not so much. They don't write her like a likable character, and Daniella's resting bitch face can be quite annoying sometimes (sorry Daniella) and I'm afraid third time is not the charm.

I agree too that the feud with Adam feels forced. I don't mind the feud, but it wasn't organic.
    It's like Jeff's obsession in framing Blake when it's Adam who poisoned him to an horrible fate.

• Agree Agree x 1