CW Renew Dynasty for a 2nd Season

Discussion in 'Dynasty 2017' started by Carrie Fairchild, Apr 2, 2018.

1. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,211
    Yeah, me too. I don't pay any attention to ratings. I couldn't tell you what the highest rated show in the UK is, for instance. It doesn't seem to be as big a preoccupation over here.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Clubsoda

Clubsoda Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +173
    TNT Dallas sucked so hard it made JR Returns and War of the Ewings look like Oscar nominated works of art.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,128
    Oooooooh, I'm not sure I could go quite that far.

I preferred the tone to nuDALLAS over the '90s movies, but the details of TNT's version were a major problem.

4. Miss Texas 1967

Miss Texas 1967 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +447
    I'm surprised but pleased. I hope the writers have seen their ratings and listened to some audience feedback and are in the process of creating a second season which focuses on all of the positive and writes out the negative.

5. Rove

Rove Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,515
    Not to rain on the parade of Dynasty 2.0 fans but how did this get renewed based on lower ratings than what TNT Dallas was receiving at the time of it's cancellation. The mind boggles.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,093
    Because it's a different network and The CW operates differently to TNT.

IIRC, The CW was in the red before they signed their Netflix deal almost a decade ago, so Dynasty already making profit before even airing is huge for them (like Les Moonves pointed out last August). Add that it's a pure CBS produced show and the CW is heavy on the Warner shows, it has a built in advantage there too. I fully expect the Charmed reboot to be renewed next season based on this almost no matter what for the same reasons, especially as they're losing at least Crazy Ex and probably Jane the Virgin.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. E-JULIAN

E-JULIAN Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +100
    I'm excited with this renewal! I still prefer the original Dynasty to the new one, but I've learned to enjoy both in diferent terms and with Alexis arrival I must admit is a better guilty pleasure to watch week after week.
    No one will ever take from us the original series and we can watch and rewatch it on DVD as we wish, so I can't understand how so many "fans" wished the worst to the NuDynasty. I've been reading fatal omens from the moment the media reported the reboot from CW, those doomed predictions continued when NuDynasty premiered and the rating fell to 0.20... They didn't want to hear the positive comments or even the posibility to be renewed because Netflix makes it a profitable series internationally when the original order of 13 became a full 22 season. Enter Alexis and I keep reading/hearing NuDynasty is doomed!
    Well, for now it's not, we can enjoy it for another year... It's time those purist fans, unable to accept the reboot to stop watching (and badmouthing) it, keep the crystal ball in the basement (it's obviouly broken or they are not good psychics), and keep watching the DVDs, while we enjoy the best of both worlds.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +2,206
    So the Netflix numbers must be really good then. Here in Germany it has a 5 star rating on Netflix, which means most people who watched it gave it highest ratings.
    I guess we can forget the CW US-ratings discussions from this point on, because obviously those numbers really mean nothing for the show's future at all.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,128
    For those keeping score: I wasn't suggesting that nuDALLAS didn't suck -- it very much did. I'd just prefer a fourth (or fifth or sixth or seventh) season of nuDALLAS had it been up to par.

It's hard for me to be enthusiastic about nuDYNASTY, even though I haven't been all that critical about it. It's mostly just there, and pretty much what we expected it to be.

10. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    I also wanted more of TNT's DALLAS if it could be de-Cidred. And just think, I am not much of a DALLAS fan but I wanted it to do well because I saw potential in the cast.

Peach DYNASTY is a mixed bag for me: on the one hand outreach and ratings are so low, I no longer worry it will tarnish the real DYNASTY's memory. On the other hand, it had gotten to much like the Kardashians without the believable acting, I had given up early on. The last three episodes I sampled again are improved (and Liam is hot). If anything, another season (and CW's history shows a second also means 3rd and 4th) can either help them further fix things to make it enjoyable or sink under their own limitations.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,128
    Correct. And we should feel free to praise or bash (or both) as the need arises.

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +840
    Ratings have become increasingly redundant in recent years. I liked to keep track of them as I find the network stuff interesting but the ratings obviously don't mean much now.

I remember, as far back as Revenge, it was said that if a show got a third season renewal it was a given that it'd be renewed for a fourth, even if the ratings stank, solely because a package of 88 episodes was required for syndication deals. The bar appears to have been lowered even more now so that you don't even need to perform well from the get go once things are going well abroad. US ratings to Dynasty is what Australian ratings are to Neighbours. It doesn't matter how low they fall in their home country, they're being produced for sale overseas. I've said it before but if US networks had only adopted this approach earlier, we could've had more than one season of Models Inc.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,093
    The CW likes to get its low-rated shows to at least four seasons and around 70-80-ish episodes, so unless we see a ratings spike that's the sort of shelf life we should expect for Dynasty.

14. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,383
    I think NuDynasty can only tarnish the memory if it's doing better than OldDynasty.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +2,206
    I thought that magic number was 100? Because i remember just 2 years ago the producers of NBC's "Grimm" were celebrating the 100th episode and the fact that they then could go to syndication with it. Or is that number lower with cable shows?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
  16. ChrisSumner

ChrisSumner Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +111
    NuDallas suffered from a distain for soaps and serialized storytelling. In season 3 they finally accepted it was a soap and it was much better. I would’ve loved a season four based on where they left off.

It’s always been 88 for network shows.

I hope that based on this renewal we can hope for a few seasons at least. Hopefully summer binging can help it like it did Riverdale and next season sees some sort of boost. I find the show totally entertaining and it keeps getting better. It’s not the same but I feel it stays true to the original while putting its own spin on things. The only thing I still truly hate is the actress playing Cristel. As written I love her, but the actress is so weak. With Nicolette this week I feel she faded into the background. Couldn’t compete in terms of chemistry with Blake or Fallon and this is Nicolette’s first episode! She’s gonna have to step it up.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,093
    Actually it was 100 for the longest time until about a decade ago. The real number nowadays is more 80-85-ish so that they can run weekday reruns for three months straight
    without having to start the cycle over, people tend to use 88 episodes as the number since it represents four full 22 episode seasons.

Since The CW is more digitally based their number for their low-rated shows seems to be around 70-80-ish episodes lately, though Crazy Ex-Girlfriend will probably end 57 episodes if they order another season of 13 episodes. It seems like people in the industry predict that the number of episodes seen as required for "syndication" will go down further from the 85-ish episode numbers with the advent of popular cable dramas with short seasons and digital platforms.

18. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,006
    I really wanted more of new Dallas too and was disappointed when it was cancelled. :(

Too bad Netflix couldn't save it as it seems to have saved new Dynasty!

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,515
    Agreed. I appreciate the balance soapchat offers with its varied opinions, otherwise it's all vanilla and the only thing I like vanilla is ice cream. :)

20. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,515
    I heard the same thing. Like most things I suspect that number has changed.