Dallas’ at 40: The Inside Story Behind the Show That Changed Texas Forever

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Barbara Belle of The Ball, Sep 20, 2018.

1. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,924
    Ah, I remember it well -- the last two weeks of July and the first two weeks of August, and the hottest summer in a hundred years in many parts of the country, 1980. It was so hot and so dry for so long (months, really) that everything took on a surreal, hypnotic quality, everything somehow floating and frozen (ironically) in time. In retrospect, it was the spiritual closing of the '70s.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
  2. The holiday Whore

The holiday Whore Soap Chat Superstar

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,748
    Wasn't Linda originally to be the Pam role? But then she was too old to play Duffy's love interest? Maybe she didn't like the idea of filming in Dallas. Who knows?
    EDIT.
    Oops... Sorry didn't realise this had already been brought up.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,920
    Reading all this reminds me how much I MISS this series. There is STILL a story to be told about televisions first family - The Ewing's. It needs to be BIG, BOLD & BRASSY.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,920
    Commercial television would have us believe it's the "Golden Age" but I call bulldust on that one. Netflix is THE brand which has changed the way we view things. It's why writers, producers, directors and actors are knocking on their door. Unlike commercial television which is constrained by outdated laws governing what we can and cannot watch, Netflix offers the freedom for those writers to create their vision, without outside influence. As Victoria states in this post in part;

Commercial television has become a cesspit of reality crap, yet the commercial networks cannot understand why year on year people are deserting the networks in favour of companies like Netflix. Now I'm reading those very same companies are crying poor to their respective governments because they argue "We cannot compete against the likes of Netflix and are requesting some kind of monetary assistance to produce local drama." Wait. What? Commercial networks are wanting to grab my hard earned taxes to prop up their failing commercial networks. Unbelievable.

While the hardware is jaw-dropping good to create breathtaking film and television it's the substance which dictates whether we are going to continue to watch it. TNT Dallas is a good example. Southfork never looked so good in HD. It's how I always envisaged seeing this stunning property. The problem was the inept showrunner who had no concept what made Dallas tick.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,920
    And yet Lorimar states they had her under contract and were looking for a project for her. Seems rather odd the script for Dallas was ready to go and yet it never made it to Linda Evans. I don't picture Linda playing Pamela but I do see her as Sue Ellen for some odd reason.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,924
    She had recently done a TV movie for Lorimar called "The Hunters" with James Franciscus, so she was probably fresh on their minds.

7. Mustard

Mustard Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +506
    They'd never have the patience today to do a series like Dallas properly. Those early largely self-contained episodes from Seasons 1 and 2 DVD were necessary, to get the viewers to properly know the Ewings and their world. The brass would soon be going for sensationalism and short term rubbish today. Heck, we saw it in TNT Dallas.

This isn't just an American problem either. I'm a big fan of British science fiction series, Doctor Who, or rather I was. I'm pretty horrified by what it's become in the 21st century. 1970s Doctor Who is some of the best TV ever.

Yes, I'm not quite sure why but Linda Evans was never offered the Pam role. Victoria Principal won the role by beating out Judith Chapman, who was the other woman considered.

8. Mustard

Mustard Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +506
    You'd think learning what made Dallas tick at its best would be of paramount importance. The Barnes-Ewing feud, Pam being the heart and soul of Dallas with Bobby being the muscle backing her up, with them also being a Ewing son marrying a Barnes daughter and the subsequent conflicts in the Ewing family brought about in both business and personal relationships, and also Miss Ellie's links to Digger Barnes, the Southworth heritage of Southfork Ranch, and her marriage to Jock Ewing and the oil wealth, along with ruthless J.R. being the charismatic antagonist of Dallas with his ultra-capitalist pursuit of corporate profit and clout for Ewing Oil with himself at the helm.

Look at all these links and you can write around them for years. You can use your imagination to create something similar too, not just a repetition.

There's other things too, like the marriages of J.R. and Sue Ellen, and Ray and Donna, and Katherine's journey from nice woman to devious woman to complete psychopath while having very understandable motives. All provided drama in their own right.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,920
    Really? The things I learn on Soapchat. I had to Google Judith Chapman. I just don't see her as Pam.

10. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,920
    I agree. Commercial Networks no longer have patience to allow a show to bed itself with the audience. The executives have this weird sense a new show needs to rate well, from episode one or face the chop. So much for confidence in your product. But I am thankful some companies out there like Netflix are happy to take the reins when others have given up.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Barbara Belle of The Ball

Barbara Belle of The Ball Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,787
    I skived off school one afternoon in 1982 to listen to Linda Gray being interviewed on radio 2 and she said that summer, she was filming a scene with Barbara Bel Geddes on the SF driveway, the director shouted action and they couldnt move as their heels had melted into the SF tarmac, they were stuck there and their" brains had fried"

• Like Like x 1
  12. Treeviewer

Treeviewer Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,798
    I may have misspoken. I was thinking of the time it must have taken to morph from "Untitled Linda Evans Project" rather than the development of Dallas per se.

13. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,924
    Apparently, it was all about 6 weeks. December 10th 1977 when the script was done to filming by the end of January '78.

• Informative Informative x 2
  14. Barbara Belle of The Ball

Barbara Belle of The Ball Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,787
    Tessie also sent me this from texas Monthly

So, Who Did Shoot J.R.? Why We Still Care About ‘Dallas’ (Part 1)
    Max Marshall, who wrote our October cover story, had never seen the show before proposing his piece. Follow along on his journey to being seduced by the trashiest, campiest show of the eighties.

When 24-year-old Max Marshall pitched us an oral history of Dallas, he’d never watched an episode of the show. He knew that it had been globally famous and shockingly influential—it might have helped bring down the Romanian government, you know!—but he later admitted to us that he couldn’t name two of its characters. Somehow, that didn’t stop him from pitching a story about a prime time soap opera from the eighties, nor did it stop us from assigning him the story.

In order to catch up, Marshall spent the next four months with Dallas. He watched more than two hundred episodes, read half a dozen books, and interviewed dozens of cast members and crew. When he began watching, he was somewhat repulsed. Halfway through the first season, he was somewhat confused. Then, at some point, he got seduced. He joined the world of superfans, and then he flew out to Los Angeles to meet the people who’d turned Dallas into a global phenomenon on par with any show in television history.

This podcast tells that story in two parts. In the first episode, Marshall walks us through the experience of watching Dallas. He replays moments from some of its strangest and greatest episodes, and he captures some of what made the show so addicting and long-lasting. In the second, he shares intimate clips from talks with Linda Gray, Charlene Tilton, Patrick Duffy, and others. The former stars recount fights on set, get emotional about Larry Hagman’s death, and give a rare window into real life at Southfork.

In addition to the podcast, you can read the oral history here.

Listen to "Who Shot JR: Why We Still Care About 'Dallas' (Part 1)" by Texas Monthly via #spreaker https://www.spreaker.com/user/texasmonthly/dallas-podcast-ep1-v5-nointro

• Thanks Thanks x 1