1. The World Cup of Soap Operas

Click here for more details
    Dismiss Notice

Dallas 2021

Discussion in 'Dallas Writers Room' started by stevew, May 11, 2019.

1. stevew

stevew Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +616
    Medals:
    Dallas 2021:

set on the original (post miniseries) layout of Southfork with updated and original decorating and in the city of Dallas with new and original venues.

Jensen Ross Ackles as “John Ross” Ewing III - the patriarch
    [​IMG]

Austin Butler as Boaz “Bo” Harper Ewing - the best friend[​IMG]

Julia Stiles as “Amy” Lee Anderson Ewing - CEO Ewing Industries [​IMG]

Jace Norman as “John” Ross Ewing IV - the troubled son
    [​IMG]

Maia Mitchell as Eleanor “Ellie” Sue Ewing - the powerful daughter
    [​IMG]

Jacob Hopkins as “Steven” Clayton Ewing - JR’s protege
    [​IMG]

Jared Padalecki as Matthew “Matty” Culver - the go to man / ranch foreman
    [​IMG]

Jamie Dornan as J. (Jamie) “Damon” Wendell - the enemy
    [​IMG]

Christina Ricci as Mavis “Lee” Anderson Wendell - the enemy
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 12, 2019
  2. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,635
    Medals:
    The only feedback I can give on your casting is that if Jeremy Wendell II is the son of Jeremy Wendell I think the actor should be older.

Except for that I don't really have an opinion on your casting since I don't recognize any of the actors/actresses you've chosen and I only know the characters from other incarnations of your stories.

3. stevew

stevew Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +616
    Medals:
    I agree as this actor isn’t much older than John Ross but from what I saw of the actor he fit my idea. So many be he’s Jeremy’s youngest son not oldest. Thank you got your feed back.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,635
    Medals:
    You're welcome. :)

Also out of curiousity what's the name of the actors/actresses?

5. stevew

stevew Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +616
    Medals:
    I’ll add them above.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. stevew

stevew Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +616
    Medals:
    Dallas 2021

Five news commentators facing each other: “The world of oil and business woke up today to learn that the last of the great oil tycoons, JR Ewing, has died. When you think of oil drilling you think of J. Paul Getty and H. L. Hunt and J. R. Ewing. The son of legionary oil rigger Jock Ewing, J. R. lived a life of scandal, two wives, illegitimate children and shady business deals. In the end he mastered the game, creating Ewing Industries which today owns several companies including the field services company Ewing Oil, Wentworth Tool and Die and Branch Water Security. Ewing Industries is also the largest investor in DSP Bank from its investment in the former Cattleman’s Bank as well as in the Trident Corporation from its investment in West Star and CyberByte. It’s oldest family asset is the Southfork Cattle Corporation, which began with J. R. Ewing’s great grandfather, Enoch Southworth in 1858.”

“Ewing Industries announced that John Ross Ewing the third and Boaz Harper Ewing each will each inherit forty-two percent of the company.”

“No estate tax this year, J. R. Ewing couldn’t have planned his death better.”

“Some say he did plan it through aggressive lobbying.”

“Anyone wondering who will show up for the funeral? His x-wife, Sue Ellen Lockwood, sold out and moved back to the UK twenty years ago. His brother Bobby, after another clash over control of Ewing Oil and the family ranch, left nearly bankrupt. His brother Gary left Texas back in nineteen seventies over family fighting, the stuff that’s made up the novels of Valene Clements, Gary’s wife.”

“J. R.’s half brother, Ray Krebs, lives in Virginia with his wife, former Secretary of Energy and Stanford Professor, Donna Krebs.”

“How about Cliff Barnes? J. R. bankrupted him as well, ending the Barnes Ewing feud, which people around Dallas still talk about. They say Barnes’s sister, Pamela, lived in hiding from J. R. for decades, before Bobby Ewing found her. They’re married and also live in Virginia.”

“Senator Bobby Ewing from Texas.”

(note: even if I wrote this in 2012 I would have stated with J. R.’s death considering Larry Hagman’s health and used flash backs. I’d have used J. R. as the ghost of the father much like Hamlet. As is, I’d use some flash backs from CC’s filming just to include Larry Hagman, especially the scene where he dances with Sue Ellen in this 2021 version. I would have also used Linda Gray to guest star, focusing on the next generation in 2012 as I will in this 2021 version. Finally, I would have used Patrick Duffy to guest star as well, though maybe more than in this version).

A lawyer approaches Sue Ellen by the pool off the back of Southfork. “Excuse me, Lady Maitland.”

She ends her conversation with old acquaintances about the DOA. “Yes.”

“I’m Paul Channing, Mr. Ewing’s lawyer. He asked me to hand you this.” The man gives her a letter.

Sue Ellen enters the back of the house, the dark study, alone. She reads the letter. “Dear Sue Ellen, I want you to know that my last thoughts are about you. I believed you could never have loved me and after all I put you through, you’d never believe that I love you. I’ve made my peace with Bobby and Gary and even Ray, near as I can, but I will have no peace with you. Momma’s last words to me were to take care of you. She told me you loved me. She’d be proud of how you’re running her foundation. You’re a remarkable woman. I am so very sorry for hurting you. Now I am alone again, left with just the knowledge that my own insecurities did this, to you and to me. I love you always, J. R.”

Sue Ellen falls to her knees crying, mumbling, “I’ll always love you, J. R. I’ll always love you.” Out of the envelope falls Miss Ellie’s engagement ring from Jock. Sue Ellen puts it on her finger.

Outside family and friends gather. They share old stories. John Ross introduces his children. “John.”

Someone mumbles nearby, “I heard he dropped out of U. T. and sent to Bartlett College and then dropped out of there.”

“This is Ellie. Eleanor Sue. She’s starting her gap year. She was very close to her grandpa. And this is Steven.”

Someone says, “Oh I new your namesake. Clayton Farlow was a fine man. Or is he named after Dusty?”

“Both I suppose but really, Clayton, he was the only grandpa I ever knew.”

“Well I’m sure you’ll grow up to be just like him. A fine man.”

“He’s an all A student at Bixby Academy.”

“Fine school young man. Fine school.”

Bobby approaches Amy and hugs her. “How are you holding up, Amy?”

“I’m fine. I keep myself busy.”

“I’ve heard. J. R. couldn’t have been pleased when John Ross stepped down at the company, let alone turn it over to you. I mean, no offense. He was a bit of a chauvinist.”

“No he wasn’t pleased. John Ross is still involved.”

“I’ve got to say when John Ross married Punk and Mavis’s granddaughter, ole J. R. couldn’t have been happier.”

“Except Jordan Lee was also my grandfather.”

“Yes, that had to irritate my brother. He always expected me to marry Jenna Wade. Never got his way.”

“That’s Lucas’s mom?”

“Yes. She’s on her fifth husband living in Switzerland.”

“Good to see she’s got something to keep her busy. And how’s Pamela and Christopher doing.”

“Great. I’ve got three grandchildren now. Let me show you.” He pulls out his wallet and shows her pictures.

Gary with Lucy greets Ray. They ask about Donna and Margret. Ray asks about Val and the twins. Bobby steps over for the big reunion. He then says, “Hay isn’t that Matty Culver?”

Ray says, “Sure is. Sam’s grandson. Looks a lot like him. I hear he’s running the ranch, has been since he returned from Afghanistan. Donna keeps in touch with him. He was a Navy Seal.”

Bobby says, “Oh there’s Bo. Let me go say hi to him.” He walks over and hugs his nephew. “Bo, how you holding up?”

“Well as can be expected.”

“Your mother here?”

“Somewhere.”

“Where are you living now?”

“Well, I’ve been living on Southfork since they called in hospice for my father. Now, I don’t know where I’m gonna go or what I’m gonna do. But if you’ll excuse me. Sue Ellen looked up set, I’m gonna check on her.”

“Sue Ellen?”

“We’ve got pretty close these last few months. She moved into the ranch too.”

“Oh I didn’t know.”

Bo leaves and Gary approaches, “That Cally’s boy?”

“Yeah. And that’s Lee Wendell,” pointing to a couple arriving, “with her husband Damon.”

“Lee’s Amy’s sister?”

“That’s right.”

“And Damon’s Jeremy Wendell’s son?”

“Youngest, yes.”

“Bad blood between you and J. R. and the Wendell’s.”

“Very bad.”

Bo walks into the study to find Sue Ellen crying on the floor. He sits with her and holds her.

Amy approaches John Ross, “Someone just asked me if your father left you the house.”

“Of course he did, but how rude to bring it up.”

“They wanted to know if you were considering giving it back to Bobby considering what happened.”

“What? Of course not. Who asked you that.”

Amy motions toward a woman looking up, in a big hat, Katherine Wentworth. “She asked about James Beaumont and Heather Harwood.”

“And there she goes approaching Uncle Bobby. All we need now is Cliff Barnes and someone is going in the pool.”

Cliff walks up from the driveway.

<cue Dallas theme song and opening credits with 3 way split screen>

Dallas

starting in alphabetical order:

Jared Ackles

Austin Butler

Jamie Darnon

Jacob Hopkins

Mia Mitchell

Jace Norman

Jared Padalecki

Christina Ricci

and

Julia Stiles

7. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,635
    Medals:
    I've read it but I don't really see how this is any different from your other stories as they are almost always set in the future with new characters and the next generation as a focus. I might be in a minority but I would like to read more stories before JR died!

Also I think it would be better if you could stick with one next generation story longer instead of constantly retweaking the same concept and starting over.

Just some constructive feedback.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. stevew

stevew Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +616
    Medals:
    Thank you and I do appreciate it. I guess I just run out of steam on a thread and switch it up. I agree they’re just some tweaks to the save ideas. This is mostly for Kenny Coyote

http://www.soapchat.net/threads/loo...fically-as-an-alternative-to-tnt-dallas.6912/

He mentioned “If some of them went as far as to create their own version of a Dallas continuation which they felt would have been more accurately in keeping with the events and characters of the original as well as beingcloser to the original in both spirit and style.”

Don’t get me wrong, JR was great, but by 2012 I felt there was no way to make him the lead of the show, though Larry Hagman still pulled it off, that was a result of how bad everything around him was.

So I would have only wanted Linda Gray as a regular guest star. I would have used Larry Hagman to create flash backs, sort of like Brothers and Sisters did. I’d also have used a series of letters from JR to Sue Ellen, John Ross and his grandchildren - more like Jock being kept in the story after the death of Jim Davis.

Though I like your idea. Maybe that’s my next thread - a new movie with JR alive and replacing the 2 we saw in the 90’s.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,635
    Medals:
    I get that this is in response to what Kenny Cayote requested. Yet I doubt he had a totally different universe in mind. I think he was more looking for a continuation with the characters that we know and love from the original show.

I mean who is to say that a Dallas continuation that disregard the Dallas TNT series has to pick up in 2012 or later?
    You could just as easily set your story in the early 2000s or even late 1990s depending upon if you want to include the reunion movies or not.

If your story picked up in 2005 for instance JR would still be in it and John Ross and Christopher would still be the young 20 somethings that you usually write their kids to be somewhere way in the future. Also Lucas and Margaret would be the teenagers.

Just an idea. ;)

10. stevew

stevew Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +616
    Medals:
    Good points. I’ll wait to hear from Kenny Cayote. I was under the impression he was looking for a new take on TNT Dallas from 2012. Though now that I think of it, that would mean this would be Dallas 2012 and so John Ross would be in his early 30’s and thus those around him similarly adjusted ages. I’ll wait to hear from Kenny Cayote go see what he’d like before I continue.