1. Show your support for DALLAS in the battle of the soaps

The Character's Exit

Click here for more details
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are experiencing some issues and there may be some downtime to correct this. Apologies for any inconvenience

Dismiss Notice

Dallas - A New or Old Beginning?

Discussion in 'Dallas TNT' started by Rove, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,840
    On another thread Sir Michael Parkinson recoiled in horror after watching a recent episode of Coronation Street and the level of violence shown. Ome (Soapchat Poster) crafted the following response;
    TNT Dallas was meant to focus on the next generation but failed. It was clearly being produced for today's audience but still failed. Which brings me to question. If Dallas had been produced and presented in the style of its "golden years" could it have recaptured some of its success, that is, better than what was presented?

• Like Like x 2
  2. Karin Schill
    Fine

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,442
    Original Member Since:
    September 2004
    I think it would have worked better if it had been more true to the way the original Dallas was told. It was great storytelling and a lot of people miss that kind of slow paced TV these days where you really get a chance to get to know the characters. :)

Sure the new show looked fab in HD and I don't really miss the freeze frames but I do miss the time spent on the build up of the storylines and the pay offs that followed.

The new show kept building up to things with disappointing ends (no pay off). I think the clearest example of this was how the viewers were lead to believe that Pam might return and then it was revealed that she had been dead all along. :(

• Like Like x 1
  3. tommie
    Brooding

tommie Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,245
    Original Member Since:
    I dunno
    Oh God no.

It would've bombed. Dallas was a child of its time - it worked because there was nothing like it at the time. But now? It would feel outdated and oldfashioned. Whatever you think of TNTDallas, you have to realise that it had to be updated. You might or might not agree with what TNTDallas did, but doing oldDallas wasn't an option.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. tommie
    Brooding

tommie Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,245
    Original Member Since:
    I dunno
    See? This is one of the things when I would say they got it right - we finally got closure on Pam. Victoria was never going to do the show and well, no Victoria, no Pam.

Also - it was unbelieveable that Pam would've stayed away from Christopher anyway.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Elizabeth Ewins

Elizabeth Ewins Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I agree and disagree with this thread. I certainly don't want clothes and hairstyles and sets and language of the 80's.But I think that slow storytelling where you get to know and care for the charactors and having it be charactor driven storylines would have worked. Fabulous sets and hi definition definitely would have worked.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. tommie
    Brooding

tommie Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,245
    Original Member Since:
    I dunno
    I'd like to think there's a way of slowly keeping the water boiling while having fast-driven plots at the forefront. It's a balance that many show runners today don't get.

Have your A- and B-plots in the audiences face, but have that C-plot boiling in the background.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. pete lashmar

pete lashmar Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +466
    I've been watching The Wire recently and even today it is an acclaimed drama. But, like Lorimar Dallas it's a slow ride - characters are able to breathe, plots are able to unfold unlike todays TV shows. A 10 episode run of Dallas as a slow burner could still work. In an age of binge watching put all 10 episodes out at once, as they do with Netflix and Dallas could be must watch again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,840
    And that's what I miss most. The slow burn of good story-telling, leading to a cliffhanger which would get you through the off-season. I'm not talking daytime soap speed or the break-neck speed of TNT Dallas.

9. BD Calhoun

BD Calhoun Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +358
    Original Member Since:
    June 2001
    I would have rather had the show "bomb" and feel like Dallas, rather than have it bomb and be unrecognizable. That's why I think it's funny when people say the show would have failed if it had been more like the original Dallas because it failed even with the all of the changes. The new show was a convoluted mess. An "updated" Dallas doesn't mean the focus changes from an oil and cattle family to drug cartels. IMO, the new show was at its best during the fleeting moments when it evoked the feel of the original.

Yes, the pacing needed to be a bit faster to fit with the shorter seasons, but that doesn't mean you throw reason and logic out the window. The details clearly didn't mean a damn to Cidre, which is why characterizations often changed on a dime. Cidre only cared about her "delicious" moments, whether they made sense or not. That's why Cliff casually orchestrates a bombing that kills his grandchildren, Pamela Rebecca has a drug fueled threesome with her husband and his mistress, and one of the villains actually works for the CIA.

There's ambiguity and gray areas, and then there's outright sloppy writing. Cidre relied on the latter.

I've said this in the past as well. It was the aesthetic of the show that needed to be updated, not the storytelling. Dallas was meant to be a prime time soap, not a crime drama.

The pacing needed to be a bit faster because the seasons were more condensed, but it should have still focused on the themes of the original show.

As for the sets, the continuations of Full House and Roseanne are using sets modeled after the originals. There's no reason Dallas couldn't have done the same. Update the decor, yes, but keep the floor plan the same. Instead, they made the house as unrecognizable as the rest of the show. The new set felt cold and soulless, much like the series itself.

10. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,840
    You're absolutely right. I had no sense of orientation while viewing TNT Dallas. Take the case of the two images below;
    Southfork Interior.jpg
    The image on the left is of 4800 Park Lane, Dallas and is what Lorimar Southfork interior was modelled after. The image on the right is TNT Southfork and look where it leads to...straight outside rather than to the formal lounge room.

Give me the updated 4800 Park Lane anyday. It's what I expected the Ewing family would be living in 2012.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. BD Calhoun

BD Calhoun Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +358
    Original Member Since:
    June 2001
    What's funny is that they tried adding the room leading to the breakfast terrace, but they put it in the wrong spot. It should have been located behind the old living room (it was the dining room on the new show). Instead, they put it directly in the center rear of the house where the chimney with french doors on both sides should have been.

Richard Berg was the set designer, and he's also the guy behind those ugly water color portraits. Needless to say, I'm not a fan of his work.

Yes!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,840
    I agree. I found those portraits rather distasteful, insulting even, and not just to the viewer. With regards to TNT Southfork I thought the funniest move was the old dining room had now become Bobby's office.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,840
    Interesting that this series has popped up in this thread. A few days ago at work some of the guys I work with had high praise for this series and recommended I seek it out. I just happened to mention this to my elder brother and he has the box set. Guess I'm in for a binge session.

• Agree Agree x 1