Dallas - A New or Old Beginning?

Discussion in 'Dallas TNT' started by Rove, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Toni

Toni Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,859
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    So the turkey will be airing the next "turdie" from the Cider House...I just wish her the success she deserves... :lmao:

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. tommie

tommie Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,497
    Eh, who knows - maybe this'll be a good fit for her?

Blood & Oil was pretty bad, but that wasn't her fault since she came in after the (incredibly dumb) concept had already been set. Not sure why she keeps doing such soapy shows though considering she admitted she preferred thrillers and such.

3. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +10,550
    I've never seen it! What was so bad about it?

4. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,497
    It was just one of those shows that was off to a bad start right from the pilot with a contrived concept. I can see why it was in "development hell" for a few years, before ABC decided to give it another go due to Empire being red-hot at the time and it was the closest thing to a prime time soap pilot they had. With that said, it's only ten episodes and the last one pretty much ties up the story so you should give it a go.

Cane is probably her best show though out of those I've seen.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Rove

Rove Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,194
    Perhaps that genre would best suit her, the shock and awe approach and less time spent on character development which is what a series like Dallas requires.

6. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,194
    Willie as Tommie rightly pointed out it was a contrived concept. Without giving to much away you cannot have some down and out couple suddenly finding themselves mingling with high society. Characters were created straight out of "How to create characters for a Soap Opera Series for Dummies" book.

It was a yawn fest.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +10,550
    Unless there's a reason, a story behind it. Was it?

8. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,194
    Billy and Cody LeFever move to Rock Springs, North Dakota, where there is a rush for new huge oil fields. They dream of getting their piece of the pie, but they have a difficult start. When Cody finds out she is pregnant, she wants to return home. Carla, the wife of oil baron Hap Briggs, finds out from her political contacts that a section of the Bakken oil field once thought barren is actually abundant. At her new job in the pharmacy, Cody overhears that Hap is buying the McCutching Ranch, from where he wants to drill into the field which is under protected Native American land. Billy convinces Cody to stay in town a little longer, and he borrows money to buy a lot from Clifton Lundgren that provides the only access to the ranch. Their gamble pays off, and they make their first million leasing the lot to Briggs, while Billy also negotiates a 5% stake in the McCutching oil revenues. Hap cuts off his troublesome son, Wick. As revenge, Wick plots with Garry to steal a truckload of oil from his father. Hap catches the two, but they are wearing masks.

Willie I've taken the above Pilot Episode synopsis from Wikipedia. Even this is not an apt description how ordinary it was. Everything felt forced. Nothing organic about it. And Don Johnson as some Oil Barron just didn't work. He lacked that killer instinct Larry could so easily portray at times with JR.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,497
    This isn't even accurate - they're originally moving there to start a laundromat (!), but their car with the washing machines crashes (!!), so they sort of decide to get into the oil business instead. Because they couldn't just, you know, move there to get into the oil business. That would just be totally off the charts and too wild of a reason.

That's not Cynthia's fault though as she came in after the pilot, but it was pretty much screwed after that.

10. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +10,550
    That's like, I wanted to become a priest but I couldn't find the church so I became a whore instead.

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. Toni

Toni Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,859
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    upload_2018-2-6_18-24-44.jpeg

I know. I found this meme of yours...​