Dallas Character Dallas After Pam

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Angela Channing, Jul 21, 2017.

1. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +7,166
    Medals:
    Aside from Pam herself, I want DALLAS after Pam to turn dustier and darker (it did the opposite), to have Miss Ellie resist calling in the authorities during the range war for reasons which perplex the family -- but later turn out to be because of things Wes Parmalee whispered in Ellie's ear about what was buried out there on a section of Southfork. And after Miss Ellie dies a year before the show ends (I'd never have her permanently leave the ranch with Clayton) Ray can get wind of the fact that Parmalee had died somewhere desolate and far away, Alaska?, only weeks after Ellie passes...

If you had to do Sue Ellen's movie, do the the story "straight".

Lady Jessica's murder spree would be of cartel members we actually knew, most of whom had been blackmailed by Jessie who'd claimed they'd father Dusty. And the story would be done like a gothic horror movie, not facetiously.

David Jacobs once suggested Miss Ellie have her own local TV talk show. Katzman would never have allowed it, but I like the idea occurring during the oil-spill/Jessie'-return season: Roy Ralston has Ellie make a few appearances on his show, and she wins over the crowd with her gentle, unpretentious humor and delicious recipes -- so much so that when Ralston takes his own show national, the local station offers the show to Miss Ellie. JR actually thinks this is a good idea until she starts pushing liberal, pro-environment causes which upset JR and the Dallas oil community at large. So JR tried to sabotage her on air.

Once JR runs Cally off, Sue Ellen actually releases her movie, wreaking havoc with the Ewing family reputation.

I think Susan Lucci and Barbara Eden should be the same person, if they were there at all.

April doesn't marry Bobby but instead becomes his next stalker. And after Cliff goes after Michelle, Afton winds up dating and becoming engaged to Bobby. I think Bobby and Afton may have shared only one scene together, but I could see them a battle-fatigued, eleventh hour couple for the show. (Which natrually infuriates Cliff).

JR and Bobby figure out Wendell was still running Weststar after all.

Once Ellie dies, Clayton spills the beans and reveals Ellie believed JR to be Digger Barnes' biological son, sending JR off onto a year long rage-binge (DNA tests can undo it later, if we want to validate JR's Ewing blood).

But all these stories, and the ones they actually did, can't be done as winking-at-the-camera "camp".

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
  2. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,731
    Medals:
    Dallas for me, should've ended in 1987, with Pam becoming pregnant at the start of the season alongside Jenna, though the father of Jenna's baby turns out to be Jack Ewing (an off screen one night stand, plus another baby for the Ewing clan to battle it out for Ewing Oil, twenty or thirty years down the line)

Pam gives birth to a baby girl: Elanor Rebecca Lucy Ewing (I always envisaged Lucy being Pam's bff as their friendship seemed more real)
    And Bobby decides to quit the oil business and open a ranch in the Mid West, leaving JR in control of Ewing Oil, JR and Pam make peace not with words but a slight smile between them, Ray and Donna would move to Washington with their daughter, Jenna would marry Jack and stay in Dallas, Sue Ellen and JR separate but on friendly terms as she and Dusty get together and JR decides that Mandy is the woman for him, the last scene will be of Pam, Bobby, Christopher and baby Elanor driving out of Dallas paying homage to their first scene way back the the chilly winter of 1977-78.

If need be Dallas could then continue with the occasional television movie or miniseries in the late 80s into the early 90s.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,586
    Medals:
    Well since I am a woman I do want my happy ending regardless if it makes sense or not... ;)
    But yes you do have a point about the fanfics.

Also since I watched the final four seasons of the show first I actually love the lighter tone the show had then. Heck I even loved the new younger characters like April, Michelle, James and Cally that I could identify with when I first watched the show. I know I'm in a minority about that one. But it's true. :giggle:

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,802
    I to could have lived with the mystery aspect. For a short time on TNT Dallas I loved it when Bum informs Christopher, JR was in Abu Dhabi not only to close an oil deal but for several months JR had been searching for Pam. Like millions of fans around the world I was excited to think where this story was going. I loved the mystery of it all and of all people why would JR be involved? Was Pam alive? Who was that woman in a black hat in the security footage sent to Christopher with Bobby and Ann looking on? Was this Katherine?

I know TNT Dallas was about the next generation but with the death of JR (Larry) I thought dropping a nugget that Pam could still be alive was awe-inspiring and don't tell me any different this excited Dallas fans. Okay, others will proclaim that Victoria stepped in with her press release (after much chatter on-line) and killed any interest in her returning to Dallas but if the producers had contacted her and said, "Look. We know you have no interest in returning to the role however we're going to use the character of Pam to add some mystery. We'd prefer if you didn't respond to any media requests or drop a press release."

After Larry's death Dallas desperately needed an injection even Lance Armstrong would have been proud of. Dropping Pam's name into the mix had exactly the desired effect with the viewers. But...it all came to naught. She had died in 1989.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,802
    I've always believed Dallas is one of those shows where a full season, say once every 5 years would have more than satisfied viewers appetites. A good story with a beginning, middle and end (with a twist). The problem I envisage was Larry's influence. Would it have been more of the same nudge nudge, wink wink parade? I'm talking about Dallas: JR Returns and Dallas: War of the Ewings.

6. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,802
    I'm going for....
    images.jpg
    The one in the middle!

7. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,802
    I always wished Dallas had gone darker after the death of Bobby, but only if he had remained dead. The season leading up to Swan Song was the only time Dynasty had beaten Dallas (by a whisker). I wonder if this had anything to do with the Donna Reed influence? Anyway. I believe Dallas had finished with a stronger ending season with the death of Bobby rather than other show which ended with characters sprawled out on the floor in their Nolan Miller gowns.

It was at this time when I believed Dallas could (and should) have went darker with the ultimate fight for control of Ewing Oil. I was beginning to get a little annoyed with JR's constant winning smile (especially the freeze frame at the end of each episode). That was like telling the audience JR (Larry) is king around here. For a change I wanted JR to be beaten, and I mean truly beaten. Whether it was by Pam (with assistance from Cliff) or Jeremy Wendell. As long as Miss Ellie retained Southfork I would have been happy.

8. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,989
    Medals:
    Pam's importance to the show is interesting as she isn't a blood Barnes - so really as she isn't Digger's real daughter, JR shouldn't have had such a problem with her... but then we wouldn't have a show!

I'm not her biggest fan by any means but I do understand what you mean about the storylines afterwards @Angela Channing. The storylines did deteriorate somewhat after 1987 - but I don't put that solely down to Pam. The writing went haywire in my opinion from about 1988 onwards, long after she'd gone.

Following her immediate departure, I guess the most unbelievable part of Pam leaving for me was the lack of concern about her - but that was bad writing. Things that really stick out for me are Bobby's upset over April being greater than that for Pam (even though I prefer April!), his willing to let her go without a fight and then on to JR's descent into madness later down the line. The introduction of people that weren't Ewings rocking up and living at Southfork...all so silly and just plain yuck (sorry @Karin Schill I am on board with Cally but we do need to have that chat about James ;) ).

Again though I don't think all the storylines are as a direct result of Pam leaving or her importance to the show, which I don't believe was the question anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  9. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,731
    Medals:
    Sorry but I can't take characters like April, Cally, Michelle and James seriously, its not like they were worthy replacements for Pam, Donna, Ray and heck even Jenna and Jamie.

April's first season was okay but after that she just whined and moaned until her death in Paris, I probably wouldn't have had an issue with James had he: A) been played by a better actor and B) had this storyline come around several seasons earlier, I'm surprised it took TPTB until season 13, before they considered the possibility of JR having an illegitimate child(ren) show up considering he's the father of half of Texas!

JR/Cally was just creepy! I've heard people compare this match to Blake & Krystle, but cannot see how, for one thing Krystle was a mature women in her thirties and the age gap between her and Blake is only a little under 20 years whereas JR was in his fifties and Cally was 18/19?!?!

The characters particularly in seasons 1-10 were portrayed by brilliant actors, and each character had substance and at times the raw emotion behind it and that was missed badly in seasons 11-14.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Presea

Presea Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,482
    I did enjoy the engaging gold-digger version of April. They should have just stuck with that.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Presea

Presea Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,482
    All of that sounds perfect except for the Mandy part, as she had nothing in common with JR.

• Like Like x 1
  12. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,731
    Medals:
    Rather have Mandy as the 2nd Mrs Ewing than Cally, at least Mandy was a grown thirtysomething woman, not a girl barely out of high school.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,852
    Medals:
    Cally made JR seem an old Perv, i didnt like it at all!
    cradle snatcher lol

Leigh taylor Young or Deborah Shelton were more realistic

• Like Like x 1
  14. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,731
    Medals:
    I think it was more Larry Hagman playing an extreme version of Larry Hagman (he wasn't pervy in real life I don't think he chased after teenage girls) than Larry Hagman playing JR, JR/Hagman were classier than that!

15. JR Ewing Fan

JR Ewing Fan Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +168
    I don't even remember. It's had to have been over a decade though.
    I enjoyed the Wes and B.D. Calhoun storylines very much. But then the following season Wendell was gone and they fumbled the storyline after they lost Ewing Oil. It never really made much sense after that. The whole point of JR was Ewing Oil. And he was such a dimwit by this time he didn't know how to get it back.

• Like Like x 1
  16. pete lashmar

pete lashmar Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +747
    The Weststar takeover plot with Kimberly Cryder was all created so that J.R didn't battle Wendell head to head, they needed a ridiculous substitute with a wife for J.R to get involved with. It would have been so much more dramatic if it was J.R Vs Wendell.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Presea

Presea Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,482
    True, but I still believe that JR needed someone more like himself.

18. Presea

Presea Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,482
    It would have been great to see Wendell get more screen time.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Presea

Presea Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,482
    JR Ewing, the classy pervert!

20. JR Ewing Fan

JR Ewing Fan Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +168
    I don't even remember. It's had to have been over a decade though.
    One of the worse things they ever did was get rid of Wendell. He was the only one who was an equal to JR. I couldn't stand him which is why he was needed. lol

• Like Like x 1