Dallas Character Dallas After Pam

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Angela Channing, Jul 21, 2017.

1. Soaplover

Soaplover Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +222
    Why couldn't April have been a Mrs JR Ewing..at least the original version of April. I do agree that from 1987 through 1990..her character was gradually watered down...and the shoe realized it hence why her sister Michelle was introduced.

Bobby and April didn't fit...and I think having Bobby date seriously without another long term love interest would have been better especially if the story had it that Pam was kidnapped and vanished after the accident...and was presumed dead.

Pam and JR were the yin and yang of Dallas. The show needed both of them...and if you think about it...the dream season was all from Pam's pov...the last time the show put importance on the character.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,320
    Medals:
    It would have made narrative sense with April in line for a share of Ewing Oil and inevitably they would have begun plotting against each other, too.

3. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +1,182
    Fortunately we did get to see JR go after Wendell, making him give back to JR every piece of Ewing Oil property that the government had sold to Weststar. That was great seeing JR get all his property back from Wendell. The time when JR and Sly went to that farmer that owned the land Cliff needed and we saw JR make the deal for that land that Cliff wasn't able to was also great. The business deals JR made that nobody else could such as these two deals were among the highlights of the show for me. While the bitter people like Cliff and Sue Ellen were always talking about JR, worrying about how they could stop him (and they couldn't), JR refused to ever let himself get obsessed with revenge to the extremes they did to where it consumed their lives and kept them miserable. JR was too busy doing what he loved to do and enjoying life to give them too much thought.

• Like Like x 1
  4. pete lashmar

pete lashmar Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    D.J
    Ratings:
    +828
    But he only got the property back from Wendell by accident. Had Cliff not sold the gas field to Wendell, or Wendell hadn't bought it, J.R would have had nothing to bargain with - he would have lost his bid to takeover Weststar and would have been left nothing but humiliation, there's even a scene with April talking to J.R and he's basically down & out, talking about there always being a backdoor but with no real idea how to get in it.

An out and out fight for control of Weststar between J.R & Wendell would have been so much more satisfying, with J.R losing and THEN blackmailing Wendell over access to the gas field pipeline - it would have humiliated Wendell so much more that the range war that followed would have made much more sense.

5. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +729
    Medals:
    Let's face it, after VP left, no one gave a sh#t about the show or quality. It was the "Larry Hagman/Patrick Duffy Comedy Hour."

6. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,000
    Agreed. William Smithers played that role to perfection. The casting director was having a good day when they selected him. A real pity he wasn't introduced earlier into Dallas, say, just after Jock is confirmed as dead and JR and Bobby begin their heated contest for Ewing Oil.

7. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,000
    Perhaps better minds here on soapchat can explain the rationale when the writers had JR spiral into the dimwitted fool he became. It appeared such an odd thing to do.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Dr. Ellby's hair

Dr. Ellby's hair Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Dallas after Pam. I think that there should have never been such situation.
    When watching Dallas episodes in late 80's during series original run i remember thinking that series was missing Pam's character.
    And now seeing episodes made 1987 and later it's even more obvious for me that they should have made recast. Also decline in quality after 1987 is easier to see now than it was then. During original run i though that Dallas 1987-1991 was still 'okay' but now, not so.

Pam is away. JR is dumbed down 1987-> . Cliff has became irritating buffoon already around 85'. Last few seasons Miss Ellie and Clayton had mostly nothing to do but wander around as a two senior citizens. 86' Ray and Jenna became (unconvincing) couple and to me they were mostly uninteresting characters from then on.
    Quality of writing was not what it was during 1978-1984 which i consider series prime. New supporting characters are not interesting and actors playing them not as good as previously. Even picture quality was lacking because of softness. Series overall tone is off.

As far as i know David Paulsen was free 1989 when Dynasty was cancelled. Maybe Lorimar should have made a one final attempt to revive Dallas: fire exec producer Katzman and replace him with Paulsen. Or maybe he should have got the Katzman's showrunner job 1985?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +7,508
    Medals:
    Recasting central characters simply never seems to work in primetime (unlike daytime) and recasting Pam would have likely made it all even worse. (I could accept Margaret Michaels in that single scene).

Better to write the character out more artfully.

Oh, not for many of us. Even at the time, the slide was obvious and excruciating. At times, almost impossible to forgive because it felt so cynical and contemptuous of the viewer. Susan Howard later referred to it as "abusing the audience again".

There was a new, clunky computerized post-production process beginning in 1986 which was unfortunate -- making the show look like it was now shot on cheap video. Believe it or not, they look 300% better on DVD today then when they first aired in the late-'80s.

They should definitely have made Paulsen the show-runner when he requested the position after Katzman left with Duffy and Art Lewis in 1985, but CBS and Lorimar were probably afraid to trust their biggest franchise to a mere story editor like Paulsen.

Big mistake... But, let's face it, Katzman was coming back no matter how good or bad the interim producer had been... Katzman was savvy enough to cozy up to Larry pretty fast, so Lorimar was unlikely to fire Katzman given Larry's fondness for him... And Paulsen, who claimed to have pneumonia after leaving DYNASTY, has said he had no interest going back to DALLAS, so I suspect Katzman invited him and Paulsen recused himself.

And TPTB at Lorimar and CBS weren't really trying to "save" DALLAS in its closing years. No one was monitoring the radar anymore, except the dwindling and disaffected audience. And they never matter.

10. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,000
    The mere mention of recasting such an iconic role like Pam has me reaching for the sick bag. As if the Barbara Bel Geddes/Donna Reed debacle wasn't enough to endure, the writers thought dangling the idea some mystery bloke could in fact be Jock had me running for the toilet. What is it with some fans/writers/producers so desperate to cling onto a character they'll accept any actor/actress in the role. Victoria gave birth to Pam, she was Pam, just like Barbara Bel Geddes was Miss Ellie. We the viewer become attached to the character because of how those actors/actresses play them. Their mannerisms, body language, everything they portray we absorb. It's how we relate to people.

Are we suggesting the character of Pam be recast simply because she was not as important as say JR? Just imagine the outcry if suddenly Larry Hagman (as JR) was replaced mid-series during Lorimar Dallas. I could also suggest Larry should have been replaced during TNT Dallas when he became unwell just so the viewers/writers/producers were happy the character was still with us. The same could be said if Joan Collins as Alexis on Dynasty was recast during its run. No way in hell would anyone accept that seismic shift.

The only reason why Margaret Michaels played Pam was because Leonard wished to bring some closure to the character. And for those reading this? If you sense a little anger in my response its because I am. As others have stated, daytime soaps can get away with recasts - I don't watch them anyway. Prime-time series is something else.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1