1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dallas: Canon, Fanon and Headcanon

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Mel O'Drama, Jun 13, 2020.

1. Taylor Bennett Jr.

Taylor Bennett Jr. Soap Chat Dream Maker EXP: 2 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +3,619
    all this Ewingverse and Dallasverse and Knotsverse talk has me wondering what galaxy David Ackroyd is in now

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator EXP: 11 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +11,112
    Medals:
    This hierarchy is informed by the series itself, and how truthful it feels at any given time.

The early self-contained episodes of the mini-series and Season One feel less canon to me than the episodes from John Ewing III onwards (some key episodes are exceptions in the first year or so. Not least Digger's Daughter). I suppose it also helps me make sense of the Gary and Kristin recasts (a rare case of the recast being the more authentic in my headcanon. Not that either is necessarily better. They're just the ones my head most strongly associates with them).

Likewise, post End Game, things start to feel less real to me. Not all the time, but there are areas that get somewhat airbrushed out of the big picture for me. Little details like character exits and recasts.

There's the dream season, of course. Impossible to view now without the underlying feeling that it's not canon. But for me, ironically, it's the episodes after Bobby's resurrection that my brain does some revisionist work on. Anything past that point is in the same area to me as most of the self-contained episodes. Which makes it easier to tweak facts in my headcanon. It's not concrete, but at the back of my mind is that Pam died in the tanker crash. And it's from Carousel onwards where everything starts feeling seriously non-canon for me. Anything after Sue Ellen shooting JR is so cherry-picked it’s practically an alternative universe to me.

So the only Dallas that I can truly say is canon for me is April 1979 to May 1984 (or Seasons Three to Six). Outside of that, things can get a little warpy.

Ah. Thanks for confirming it. I think I was thinking of Lucy's name being mentioned in a later Knots episode.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +23,843
    Medals:
    The recast of Pam seemed so bizarre (and unnecessary too, I suppose). Do we know for sure that it was her?
    Oddly enough, the same happened to the Pam in Falcon Crest when she tried to kill Richard, "Katherine Wentworth" style.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator EXP: 11 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +11,112
    Medals:
    All signs point to the Pam in Carousel being the real thing. But the most telling thing for me as a viewer is that by that point I didn't really care whether or not it was Pam. At least, not as much as I should have.