Dallas DVD boxset.

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Santa Swami, Feb 20, 2018.

1. Payton Cross

Payton Cross Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,279
    I also have diffrent dvd releases @Alexis, some are from the UK and some where from the Netherlands with dutch subtitles. I also have a few episodes that some scenes have some trouble to play smoothly, especially with the double sided DVDs, so I would also like to have a complete box set as a back-up with only single-sided DVDs. But the boxset that I wanted to have is almost no longer sold, yes for more than 250, - euros on Ebay :(, while the new box is sold around 150, - euro maybe even less, only I find the new cover a little too full for my taste.

But maybe I will buy it, as long as the DVDs are single-sided. :)

• Like Like x 2
  2. Payton Cross

Payton Cross Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,279
    Yes i agree, i wish they left the money away from the title, then i really would like the box. ;)

I think the bottom of the box looks great, with all the portraits of the Dallas stars, only I got a feeling that Jock is not shown on the box.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
  3. Barbara Belle of The Ball

Barbara Belle of The Ball Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,787
    I saw it in HMV today and the box was all bashed in at the bottom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How dare they! £79.99 or whatever it was isnt bad value

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Via The Elf

Via The Elf Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +795
    That's because US television uses an NTSC television resolution whereas the UK uses a PAL 625 line resolution. Season 10 is the first of the seasons to be filmed on videotape which is why the UK release looks particularly washed out & grainy, it's been converted from the NTSC masters which are around 525 line. Upscaling the picture to 625 line PAL unfortunately loses the picture definition. :(

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. garry

garry Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +291
    That's right and it's worth noting that higher quality NTSC to Pal masters were used for the Ragion 2 release of Seasons 11 and 12 and the picture is slightly better on those sets compared to the Region 1 DVD's..

• Informative Informative x 2
  6. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,921
    First of all, S10 was never shot on videotape -- it was shot on 35mm film but edited on video in a new, horrid process that actually looked worse than if it had been shot on tape.

And I've heard for years about the PAL transition in the UK supposedly causing S10 to look "particularly washed-out & grainy," but S10 in the U.S. looked every bit as awful (the Region 1 DVDs for S10, though imperfect, look five times better than when those episodes originally aired on American television). So the edited-to-video post production process likely had more to do with it than the PAL transition.

And that would make some sense.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
  7. Via The Elf

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +795
    Yeah the picture resolutions on the final seasons are vastly better than those for season ten, which is a pity as that season was the last truly great season of Dallas before both Susan Howard & Victoria Principal departed the show. :(

8. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,921
    Garry says the original 35mm film elements still exist for S10 and could be pieced together to make superior prints-- but that that's highly unlikely to ever happen (due, one presumes, to expense and lack of interest from TPTB).

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. garry

garry Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +291
    One of the reasons apart from cost is that Dallas was never really a Warner Brothers product to begin with. It was filmed at MGM and owned by Lorimar. They really had to adopt the show years later after Time Warner bought over Lorimar in 1988. If Dallas had been made by a studio such as Paramount then we would have seen remastered episodes of the series at least being released on DVD over the years. Coincidentally Paramount hold the International distribution TV rights for Dallas as they bought out the original distributor Worldvision Enterprises in the late 90's.

• Informative Informative x 4
  10. Via The Elf

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +795
    That must be why that infernal Worldvision trademark indicia graphic is present on the boxsets after some of the episodes have finished instead of the Lorimar trademark indicia. :(

11. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,770
    Well Dallas might not be a Warner Brothers original product. But I think they are aware of that it's a valuable property. I mean I took the Warner Brother's Studio Tour while on vacation in California last november and I found the following things there:

California2017 1192.JPG

California2017 1349 (2).JPG

Oh and in the roof they were showing photos of some famous movies and TV-series that they owned and well I hadn't expected this but the Dallas theme came on and they were showing the following images:

Jennys bilder 807.JPG

Jennys bilder 808.JPG

Jennys bilder 809.JPG
    It was over pretty quick though so we had to wait around for the loop to return to be able to photograph this. It was like a 10 minutes loop. While waiting somebody asked us "ER fans?"

"No Dallas fans!" I replied proudly. :)

I hadn't even told our tour guide that I was a fan of Dallas because I hadn't expected to find anything there. So the main reason we went on the tour was actually to be able to sit in the "Friends" sofa at Central Perk. But well my reaction when I found this at the prop yard totally gave me away:

California2017 1242.JPG
    I just had to have my photo taken with it...

Anyway we are getting way off track here. But my point is that WB are aware that Dallas is a popular property and that there is worldwide interest in it. Now all we have to do is prove to them that 1000s of people will buy the remastered Blu-Ray discs and they might consider giving us what we want! ;)

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  12. southfork88

southfork88 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,211
    I have the complete set of DVDs single-sided ... and also decided to buy only a new improved higher quality box sets with more extras.

13. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,920
    And if I manage to get my hands on those last remaining seasons it will be a sad day in this household with the departure of Susan and Victoria.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,920
    Which begs the question. If companies like Warner Bros. never have intentions of doing something with that film stock what is the point of archiving it? I still remember some years ago when George Lucas decided to convert the original Star Wars film stock to digital format and that they were horrified how much the original film stock had deteriorated. The documentary showed a side by side comparison of the original film and the end result. I was shocked because I thought the film would be stored in optimal conditions.

15. Via The Elf

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +795
    With a bit of luck if there is renewed interest in the old Lorimar series via the DVD boxsets, perhaps the show could return at some point as a brand new series.

The premise of the Lorimar Dallas is so strong even today that just maybe the show could get brought back in the future. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Santa Swami

Santa Swami Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,031
    Yes, there is still plenty of interest, but given the mixed success of the TNT series, I think it is time to abandon any more ideas of new series or remakes. Too many of the original cast members are no longer around or not interested in participating.

Swami

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Willie O! Tannenbaum

Willie O! Tannenbaum drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,836
    There's still the new generation:)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Santa Swami

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,031
    I was in Belfast again today (HMV), very surprised at the considerable price difference between the Dallas and Dynasty box sets - the revised Dallas set is £79.99, the Dynasty set on sale for £39.99.

Swami

19. B.J. Ewing

B.J. Ewing Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +182
    With a difference of 5 more seasons than Dynasty, I think the price of the Dallas box set is pretty normal.

• Agree Agree x 4
  20. Santa Swami

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,031
    Yes, I suppose you're right when you look at it that way.

Swami

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1