1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dallas had a different vibe

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Herofan, Feb 3, 2020.

1. Herofan

Herofan Soap Chat Active Member EXP: 1 Year

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +162
    I think that is a good description of why it had a different vibe. It did seem like they didn’t mix well with “regular” people either. I get that to a degree, after all, they were rich, but it seemed like they lived in another universe from anything regular.

2. Herofan

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +162
    It’s odd that none of them gathered to watch a football game in tv. They mentioned being cowboys fans a few times, but mentioning it was the limit.

• Like Like x 2
  3. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Winner EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +6,206
    Ray also did the daytime quiz show thing when he was in his boozy grief period after Jock's death.

JR and John Ross go to see a Cowboys game in the flesh in New DALLAS. But it's their faces who end up on the big screen. So I guess it's as much about them being seen as them seeing.

4. Taylor Bennett Jr.

Taylor Bennett Jr. Soap Chat Dream Maker EXP: 1 Year

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +3,454
    the Ewingverse was so insular that entire countries were often nameless - the Asian oil leases, Jock in South America.

I enjoy the irreverent take on early episodes at Dallas Reviewed, where the author Stacie makes a case for the Ewings and Southfork as something out of a horror movie:

Ray's unsure about his future, but Jock's got a plan: he hands Ray a deed to some Southfork land, solely to ensure that he'll never want to leave. He actually says that, that he wants Ray to stay at Southfork forever. I don't know about you, but all of this "stay here forever and ever" shit that Jock and Miss Ellie keep spewing makes me think of one thing and one thing only.

http://dallasreviewed.blogspot.com/2014/06/211-triangle.html

[​IMG]
    (her one thing and one thing only seen above)

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Enthusiast EXP: 12 Years

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +2,349
    They do that in other shows too. it's not done for the purpose of being "insular'; they do it avoid portraying a real country that could potentially complain about being portrayed in a negative light.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Kenny Coyote

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +2,349
    Would watching the Ewings watch a football game on Tv seem like something that you'd find entertaining? The only had about 48 minutes a week, so using some of that time to watch them watching TV seems like a less than optimal use of those 48 minutes. You could say that maybe seeing them swimming in their pool wasn't the absolute best use of their time either,but then at least we got Pam in a bathing suit. Never a bikini because Pam was very modest and I guess she'd have found a bikini too revealing, but she still looked great in her one piece bathing suits. Jenna wore a bikini and looked amazing, so it wasn't a thing with the network not allowing bikinis.

Oh they were formal. It looked to me like they took pride in that and I've gotta say I admire that. They dressed nicely for dinner and they all had dinner together. It's show of respect for the meal they've been blessed with and a show of respect to everyone else that one person wouldn't show up at the dinner table in a jeans and a t-shirt. It says: This is a special occasion, one that makes us feel like wanting to wear good clothes out of respect for each other, for the the privilege of having this nice meal and sharing it with the people who men the most to us.

Also realize Dallas started in 1978 and people used to have higher standards for their appearance. It used to be that nobody would consider getting on a place without dressing nicely for it. They would have felt undignified, maybe even rude, to wear jeans and a t-shirt for a commercial plane flight. Standards for personal appearance have gotten very lax over the last 40 or 50 years. People in general don't take the pride in their appearance they once did. Ideas like dignity and being respectful have been overtaken by a desire for people to feel as comfortable as possible, no matter how that makes them look to people around them.

When stores have to have signs that instruct people to not enter the store without a short and shoes, that tells you that we've gone as far towards the "comfort' side of things and as far away from the dignity and respect side of things as we possibly can. When was the last time when the customer service people in a store referred to you as "Sir" or Ma'am"? I think when you stopped hearing those words, the downhill slide was well underway. It's even gotten to where complete strangers will often address each other in a way where they presume to be on a first name basis. that's quite a presumption. I don't know what it would take to get people interested in setting higher standards for themselves. We may be past the point of no return.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Bill Dilks

Bill Dilks Soap Chat Dream Maker

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,892
    ...ceptin' for mentioning some of them high rises...

upload_2020-3-4_7-49-37.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator EXP: 11 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +10,462

Would watching the Ewings watching football players in bikinis have been a better use of the time?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. Chris2

Chris2 Soap Chat Fan EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +600
    Would Anjelica Nero have been comfortable visiting? What would Miss Ellie have thought of her? Would she have stabbed one of the servants with a giant hatpin if her dinner wasn’t hot?

10. Herofan

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +162
    I wouldn’t expect their watching a football game to Take up a lot of time or to be a focus. I just think it would have made them seem more normal for JR and Bobby to be watching the Cowboys on tv. Sure, within seconds some dramatic topic could draw them away, but it would just seem like a touch of normal to me. It could have just been used as a backdrop like the exercise room.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,822
    This view of Dallas intrigued me when another soapchatter commented on the claustrophobic environment Southfork portrayed. It had all the appearances of being friendly but the Ewing family were weary of strangers.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator EXP: 21 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +6,459
    Unless they showed up 20 years later pretending to be their son (ahem, James, ahem, cough JR wise up, cough)

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Lastkidpicked

Lastkidpicked Soap Chat Addict EXP: 11 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,108
    It amazes me how often these boards mirror real life. I was in a 1960's home this week and had the exact same thought as Rove.

It was similar in a lot of ways to Southfork. Lots of dark wood, lots of small doorways. Just being a 1960's style house made it seem claustrophobic by itself.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  14. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,822
    Makes me think if a continuation of Dallas could work given how disjointed families are today with kids being locked away in their own environment on smartphones, tablets, computers and gaming stations.

Lorimar Southfork gave us the impression of a place of grandeur, inhabited by a family not afraid to express their feelings. The living room, foyer and dining room used to great affect.

Switch to TNT Dallas and despite the floor plan of Southfork being modernized to reflect the open arrangements most like today it added little to the drama the Ewing family were facing.

Lorimar Dallas showed how movement can enhance a scene by having the family walk the full length of Southfork from the living room to the dining room. TNT Dallas had the Ewing family walk around corners despite giving the appearance Southfork was an open concept design.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Lastkidpicked

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,108
    In Texas, land is cheap and heating a home is cheap. So even us poor folks have nice, big houses. And a family will move from one room to another depending on what they are doing.
    The writers could simply cut the scene, then pick it up in the next room. But they take the time to show them walking from one room to another.

I appreciate little details like that.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Kenny Coyote

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +2,349
    I bet air conditioning a big house in Texas isn't cheap!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Lastkidpicked

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,108
    Well, well well! Look who popped in! Get you a Bourbon and Branch, Kenny?

We have a cheat code for cooling our houses. Most of us have ranch style homes like Ray has. One story with a full basement.

[​IMG]

And by spending the hot part of the day in the basement, we don't have to cool the house.

Although shortly before bedtime, we'll turn on the air conditioning so it's easier to sleep.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Kenny Coyote

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +2,349
    Thanks Lastkid!

That's a good idea. It reminds me of something - the hottest place I've ever lived was Florida. The land there makes it impossible to have basements - something about the low elevation and the water level. It's not only hot and humid, but even at night, it doesn't cool off nearly as much as you'd expect.