Dallas in the Way Future

Discussion in 'Dallas Writers Room' started by stevew, Jan 21, 2018.

1. stevew

stevew Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +417
    Oil is on its way out with electric cars and solar shingles. John Ross works the Southfork Ranch where he rules over the land like Jock. Well respected among the rands hands like his grandpa. He was a single father, raising his children alone, now their all in their twenties making lives for themseleves. Jack’s mother, Elena, spent most of his life in prison. Ellie’s mother, Marta DelSol, died in labor. Steven’s mother is just missing. Lucy showed up to help with the kids having acquired Bobby’s half of South Fork.

John Ross destroyed everyone taking control of Ewing Global, renaming it Ewing Industries as a giant conglomerate, think Koch Industries, in the wake of the collapse of oil. Now his children fight the outside world as they take their place in the company. John Ross is retired but still very much involved including being on the phone with friends Senator Judith Ryland and billionaire Carlos DelSol. He directs his generals who run his empire like Jock did.

Lucy runs the giant Ewing Farlow Foundation and is the link to the past overseeing fundraisers and social club meetings. Turns out she also owns 40% of Ewing Industries with John Ross owning 40% and the DelSol’s owning 20%. She fills Miss Ellie’s role.

Juan Carlos DelSol, Marta’s brother and John Ross’s friend (think Punk). Juan Carlos runs his father’s businesses and jet sets like most people drive. He’s the Chairman (non-executive) of Ewing Industries and keeps tabs on the company for John Ross.

Mateo Rameos, Elena’s other brother, is another of John Ross’s good friends (think Bum and Drew), a go to man who runs Branch Water, a paramilitary company owned by Ewing Industries. He’s also revealed as Teresa’s nephew, former navy seal and possibly current CIA.

The story revolves around the three Ewing 4th generation children:

Jack (John Ross), who attempts to take control of the company and be the crown prince, torn between two women seeking his attention for different reasons and his domineering sister for whom no one is good enough for her brother. He’s a good guy, maybe too good for his own good. A playboy who’s best suited to ranching and film making. Based on Howard Hughes.

Ellie (Maria Marta Eleanor DelSol) who is all about family and is ruthless just like her grandfather, will do what it takes to promote the Ewing’s and take care of her brothers. A behind the scenes bitch who’s best suited to Machiavellian politics. Based on J. Paul Getty.

Steven (Steven Clayton), who is brilliant, awkward and vulnerable, a sad character who is best suited to run the company. Based on Barbara Hutton.

• Like Like x 1
  2. stevew

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +417
    I’d start with JR having died in 2010 and that he manipulated things so he could die in the year without a death tax so we’re already 8 years out to get to this future which is another 12-16 years out. Maybe a 50 year anniversary TV movie. Just saying. Anyway just sharing what could be another go around. Hope they’d used John Henderson and Charlene Tilton.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  3. stevew

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +417
    John Ross walks out on the balcony behind the house to find Lucy looking down at the pool. “What’s up Luce?”

“Just thinking about the pool. How many people been thrown in it over the years.”

“Yea we’ve had our share of family fights.”

“We’ve been through so much. So much we caused ourselves. It never seems to stop. Do you think we’ll ever get any peace in this family?”

“When were dead Lucy. In the mean time.”

“That time your mother was in a mental institution, when we thought we lost Bobby. It changed all of us. Especially grandma.”

“But we found our way back.”

“Those year’s your father was broken, in the home, then comes out and cons everyone. Then your Pamela. How did you boys not know it was her?”

“I knew it. I told Chris, but he didn’t listen to me, until everything fell into place and neither could deny it.”

“You still miss her?”

“Ever day of my life.”

“A bunch of women later and three children by three different mothers and you still can’t get over her.”

“No one’s ever loved me Lucy. No one. She nearly died trying to be with me.”

“Lots of people love you, John Ross. You were the most important person in the world to everyone of us when you were born. It’s a shame we couldn’t make you feel it.”

“And Mitch?”

Giving him a dirty look with a half smile, she says, “I don’t want ta talk about it.”

“What it means to be a Ewing, to love one person to obsession, never trusting they actually love you, hurting them over and over again.”

“If your mother and father could love each other through all of that they put each other through.”

“And Uncle Gary and Aunt Val.”

“I’m glad Uncle Bobby finally found Aunt Pam.”

“Me too.”

Lucy takes his arm, “You were on the phone a while this afternoon.”

“Eves dropping?”

“Of course. Donna?”

“Former Secretary of Energy. Best lobbyist in D.C.”

“Senator Judith Brown.”

“More lobbying.”

“I thought you were just a rancher.”

“And I thought you were just a socialite.”

“I’m a philanthropist too.”

John Ross laughs, “I’m glad Uncle Bobby sold you half of South Fork and I’m glad you got a piece of Ewing Industries.”

“Someone had to get in your way. You were destroying the rest of the family bit by bit. Which is something you don’t have to worry about with your kids. I’ve never seen kids so fiercely loyal to each other.”

“We did a good job didn’t we Luce? They’re good kids.”

“I wouldn’t go that far. But they’re family. Ain’t no one going to tear them apart.”

“I hope you’re right. I just wish they’d find something beside business and politics to occupy their time.”

“Just like their daddy. Give ‘em time. They will. Speaking of such, why are you lobbying in Washington?”

“Oh nothing important.”

“Last time I heard about someone in this family lobbying Congress it was 2010, the year without an estate tax, and JR mysteriously died.”

“Oh don’t be so glum, Lucy. I’m not going anywhere.”

“Glum? Me? Don’t you know John Ross, rich folks are always happy.”

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  4. stevew

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +417
    The idea of the scene above is to say everything is canon from the dream season, thus realigning with Knots Landing, to the movies to the TNT series and so this continuation doesn’t worry about any of that. It also assured fans that Pam is alive and with Bobby but gives no clue as to Chris’s fate. It does mention, as the series would continue, various unseen characters. At the same time, in the future, the series focuses on John Ross (early 50s), Lucy (early 70s) and his three grown children, Jack (23), Ellie (22) and Steven (21) with various guest stars from the past (not just walk one) and future.

I’d appreciated any feed back.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ms Southworth

Ms Southworth Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,595
    I think that I've said this before, so bear with me!

You're a really great writer! And I really mean that!

I'm just more into fanfics where the focus is on the main original cast (and not on a lot of new characters). Also, I don't know Knot's Landing or TNT Dallas very well, as I wasn't able to really grap ahold of their " popularity waves".

Honestly, I wish that you'd write more of the "style" that appeals to me, but, of cource, you shouldn't change on my account! Keep on doing what makes you happy!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,842
    I really like how you usually have Lucy play a huge part in your stories as I think the character wasn't used enough on the original show and it's nice how she's on such good terms with her younger cousins. :)

The scene you wrote with Lucy and John Ross was good. I love how you want Bobby & Pam to end up together. It's the way it should have been on the show.

I think you also have interesting ideas about how to continue the Ewing legacy with John Ross' children. Although to be honest I am not that interested in reading about something that's set 10 years into the future either. Maybe because so many of the characters I love will be missing at that point in time. :(
    Also when I think of the 50th Anniversary of Dallas, it makes me feel old! :Clol:

It's hard enough as it is to comprehend that it's actually the 40th anniversary coming up this year. I mean where did the last 10 years go?:think:

Finally I think it's a shame that Dallas TNT flopped so bad as I would have loved to have followed John Ross and Christopher during this decade we're on right now and see them have kids etc.
    Since we never actually saw them have any kids on the new show the 4th generation of Ewings still feels sort of abstract to me.

7. stevew

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +417
    Thank you very much. I guess for me it’s always what could be filmed and creating my own characters off the originals. Thank you so very much.

• Like Like x 1
  8. stevew

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +417
    I know what you mean. I just got thinking of two things.

1) it looks like it will be sometime until we get another shot at Dallas but who knows in the future we might.

2) a friend mentioned Full House and I never watched the original or the new one but she said the house is the same and the kids are grown up they have kids - which is like your abstract comment, the way she describe it.

But it works. She loves it. She said it ta dufferent but the same and she loves it. She doesn’t even like when the older generation guess stars. Of course they use the original actors for the 2nd generation - which brings me to Lucy as a must have character.

But who knows. Maybe in 10 years I’ll get a call and someone will say they’re ready to start up Dallas and this time it’ll really be Dallas they want to do. Imagine a younger Jock, a female JR and a gay Bobby set in the 2020’s.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,842
    Oh I love Full House and Fuller House. True we never knew anything about their kids before this show but they don't feel abstract to me since I am watching them on the screen. So I see what they look like and I am getting to know them from the screen. I wish we had gotten to see that on the new Dallas too. But sadly the show went off the air too early.

I think the problem with new Dallas was that the show runner didn't love and understand the original Dallas. :(

With Fuller House it's the same concept but backwards and it's the same showrunner as on the orignal show. So it stays true to the original show and it totally works. I also love it when the older generation does guest spots. :)

I guess only time will tell if we'll ever get any more Dallas. But if Dallas is ever going to come back it needs to be a different show runner. CC and her team clearly didn't work.

• Like Like x 1
  10. stevew

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +417
    Yes they need someone who loves Dallas. My fingers are crossed.

11. stevew

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +417
    Opening:

John Ross rides up on horse fight a raging wild fire taking a hose from a ranch hand and ordering him to get “the cattle out of here.”

Lucy sits in Miss Ellie’s living room with her DOA meeting. Ellie walks down stairs in a very short sun dress and past the living room archway. Lucy calls her in, where she introduces her to Marilee Stone. Marilee says she should join them and then realizes what she said, “Of your mother. You’re Marta DelSol’s daughter, so I guess the Daughters of the Alamo wouldn’t be the right place for you.”

“Well if they’d let you in, wouldn’t they let anyone in.”

Marilee brushes the insult off with a chuckle.

Ellie says to Lucy, “There’s a wild fire in section 40. Mateo said dad’s out there now.”

“Where’s Jack?”

“I texted him.”

In a hotel bedroom a hunky young man gets out of bed and walks naked across the room. One of the two girls in his bed says, “Jack, your phone,” holding it out to him.

“I’ll get it later.” Jack walks into the bathroom.

A very young man goes through piles of papers on his desk. An older man peeks in. “How’s it going Steven?”

“Well its a bit unusual, to compile a list of all the assets of the company. Ewing Industries is a privately owned conglomerate with hundreds of billions in assets divided into five groups with over 100,000 employees in sixty countries, working in twleve different industries. The task is ridiculous. I did find several pattens in gas extraction that my father’s cousin Chris developed for some company, Ewing Alternative Energy. Ewing Industries still owns the company but it’s been out of business for years. I’ve sent them to a friend of mine at MIT to take a look at them. See if there’s any value.”

“Well that promising, finding obscure assets.”

“There are so many companies; there could be countless assets like these. Companies like
    Branchwater, the Dallas Post, CM Leeland Bancorp. Who knows what they own. I’ve only gone through them Ewing Oil and I’m just finishing up Ewing Alternative. There’s Ewing Construction, Wentworth Tool and Die, Cartwell Ryland Logistics. Then what about the companies we’re a major shareholder in, sixty percent of W.S.E.O. and ten percent of West Star? What assests are they hidding?”

“Well, keep up the good work. If anyone can find hidden assets, it’d be you. If your father’s gonna have you run this company one day, you’ll need to know everything.”

Steven and Jack coming running into the hospital emergency approaching Ellie. “You’re father’s fine. Smoke inhalation. They say he’ll be fine.”

“Can we see him?” They ask at the same time.

“Yes. I’ll take you back.”

Ellie and Steven walk away as Lucy grabs Jack. “Amy’s on her way.”

“What, you call her?”

“No. She called me. Couldn’t get ahold of you. No one could. But the fire’s all over the news.”

“Well I’m here now.”

“Because I sent Mateo to go and get you.”

“I see.”

“You think this behavior won’t make itself known? Politics has a way of digging up dirt.”

“There’s no dirt to dig up.”

“Don’t bullshit me. I make it my business to know what’s going on in this town. And I’m not the only one. Listen. You don’t have to marry Amy.”

“It’s the perfect marriage, a Ewing and an Anderson. We’ll ride it right to the governor’s mansion Lucy. Don’t you worry. I’ve got everything under control.”

“That’s doubtful. Ewing men spend too much time chasing tail instead of tending to business.”

“Just harmless fun. It don’t matter Lucy.”

“All that matters is family. One day Amy’s gonna be the mother of Ewing children. Think about that. Your momma’s spent your life in prision cause she had to get revenge. Ellie’s mother’s dead. And Steven’s mother. Your children deserve better. If you can’t give ‘me that, don’t start. Now go in there and check on your daddy.”

• Like Like x 1
  12. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,842
    I liked the bit with the daughters of the Alamo meeting and Marilee Stone, Lucy and Ellie. :)

However a bit of constructive feedback for you, since you introduce new characters in your story I would prefer it if you described a little bit more about them.

Like for instance you write "A very young man goes through piles of papers on his desk."
    That is Steven, but exactly what is "a very young man" is that like 18 or 25?
    Also what does he look like?
    Color of hair?

I think if you'd add a bit more details the first time we meet them it would make it easier to visulaize them while reading about them.

It's different when you write about characters that orginated on the show like Lucy and John Ross since we are already familiar with them and know all of this already.

I hope you don't mind this piece of constructive feedback.

13. stevew

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +417
    Thank you. I totally agree. I was just focused heavy on the idea of the plot way in the future with these grown kids. I didn’t even thing what they looked like other than they’re all 1/2 Hispanic, Elena Ramos bring Jack’s mother, Marta DelSol being Ellie’s mother and an unknown woman as Steven’s mother.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. stevew

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +417
    [​IMG]
    John Ross “Jack” Ewing IV (25)
    the political playboy

[​IMG]
    Maria Marta Eleanor “Ellie” DelSol Ewing (23)
    the socialite scion

[​IMG]
    Steven Clayton Ewing (21)
    the geeky genius

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. stevew

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +417
    The Ewing’s gather for a big barbecue out back of South Fork with a few hundred guests. Lucy hugs Ray, welcoming him. “Thank you for coming. John Ross could use some help grilling all the stakes.” She then hugs and welcomes Lucas. As they walk toward the pool she asks, “Did you here from Uncle Bobby?”

“No. I left a message. Can’t say I expect him here to celebrate a hundred years of Ewing Oil. But I will say this, and I told Bobby, it’s what Jock wanted. Someone strong enough to take the company and hold onto it.”

“John Ross has his picture up in the board room of Ewing Industries. Uncle Bobby and Grandpa’s. JR’s of course. Donna’s too. And Cliff Barnes.”

“You gotta be kidding me. Why Cliffs?”

“He said he was a president of Ewing Oil. From ‘91 until ‘96 when Bobby returned to running it. Then there’s Paul Wendell who ran it when he and Sue Ellen sold to West Star, after JR’s retirement.”

“What the hell. John Ross took Ewing Oil away from Wendell, took all of West Star, I heard.”

“Paul’s sons are still on the board of West Star, just now Ewing Industries is its largest shareholder and Ewing Oil doesn’t belong to it anymore, hence John Ross’s picture on the wall after Cliff.”

“I can imagine what JR would have to say.”

“So can I.”

“Jack following in his foot steps?”

“No, John Ross’s school friend, Ariel Ben-Gurion, is running Ewing Oil and Ewing Industries. Jack’s running for State Senator. Steven’s interning with the business, but Jack’s got other plans. He’s engaged to Amy Anderson.”

“Punk’s granddaughter?”

“Yep. Has been for someone time. She’ll make the perfect politician’s wife. The bluest of Texas blood. University of Texas in Austin, line JR, serves on countless charities like Sue Ellen did.”

“No doubt JR would approve.”

“Hell he couldn’t have picked her out better himself.”

“Your dad coming?”

“God no. Margret sent her best. She’s Ewing Industries’ lead lobbyist in D.C.”

“I’ve heard. James?”

“No. He did send his best to John Ross.”

“They’re talking?”

“Not really. Though John Ross did set up a trust fund for James and Beau using his share of South Fork’s oil.”

“Beau?”

“Cally’s son.”

“Oh. I’ve never meet him. He here?”

“No. Works for Ewing Industries though, in Europe.”

“I can guess not Christopher.”

“No they haven’t spoken in years.”

“He doesn’t speak to Bobby either. No body’s heard from him in a long time it seems.”

At the grill John Ross hugs and welcomes Lucas. “And these are friends of mine. Guys this is my cousin, Lucas Ewing. This is Mateo Ramos. You remember Carmen?”

“No. I can’t say I do.”

“Teresa?”

“Of course.”

“Caremen was Teresa’s sister. Mateo’s her youngest son.”

“So your sister was. . .”

“Yes.” John Ross cuts him off. “He was in the Marines when you were living here at South Fork. And this is Juan Carlos DelSol.”

“Yes. We meet before. You’re Marta’s brother?”

“Yes Marta was my sister. You’re right. We did meet. You were working with John Ross on the ranch when Marta was . . . here.”

“Yes I was. Taught him everything he knows about ranching.”

John Ross says, “Then I helped him buy his mother’s family’s place and I don’t see him anymore.”

“Well when you’re not a billionaire you’ve gotta do most of the work yourself. Though I did hear about you and the brush fire. All anyone in the tri-county area’s talking about.”

“Thank you did pitching in on your side.”

“Well yeah. Fire’s don’t respect property lines. So we you want me to go get some Wade beef? For the really important guests.”

“Very funny. Braddock’s best has always been South Fork beef.”

“Only because I’m in Dallas County.”

“We’re in Dallas County too.”

“I know and Wade beef’s still the best.”

“You must be smoking some wacky stuff over there if you’re gonna say that with a straight face.”

The two cousins laugh together.

Ray steps over to see Sue Ellen. “Well if you’re still not the prettiest woman in Texas.”

“Oh Ray. How are you?” The two hug. “I’m surprised to see you here. You never cared for the oil business.”

“I’m not here to celebrate a hundred years of Ewing Oil. Lucas dragged me over. The company managed to get at some oil under the Wade Ranch no one even knew about. And Lucas and John Ross have been on again, off again good friends. How have you been?”

“I’ve been good. Traveling. Grandkids are grown. Believe it or not things have been quite around here.”

“Well that’s a good thing.”

“It is. How have you and Lucas been?”

“You mean since JR sent him a letter from the grave telling him Bobby’s his real father?”

“JR sent out a lot of letters he shouldn’t have.”

“Classic JR to use Carlos DelSol to set you and Bobby up. You borrow the money from him to buy control of Ewing Global only to find out it’s from a trust fund he’d been managing for JR.”

“Actually it was in a trustfund he’d been managing for John Ross. Jock left him an investment in Cyberbyte that JR used to get a hold of shares in West Star and Carlos managed to turn into even more, including taking Ewing Global from us. JR set us all up. To do just what he wanted, to lock away Cliff and to turn over the company to John Ross.”

“Should any of us thought otherwise.”

“No I suppose not. Did you know that after JR has his breakdown back in the early ‘90’s Miss Ellie has Bobby return South Fork to her? She’d gone to the nursing home to beg him to return home, even offered him all of South Fork. Oil and all. He never spoke to her.”

“No, I didn’t know that.”

“She left it to John Ross in her will for Bobby to look after. Half when JR died. The other half when Bobby dies.”

“I take it JR found out about the arrangement.”

“I’m sure of it. Why else would he have signed it back over to Bobby.”

“What about Lucy?”

“Bobby sold his half to her, though he and Gary kept their share of the mineral rights. John Ross was suppose to take it all including the mineral rights, giving a sixth to James, Beau and two other of JR’s kids.”

“Two?”

“Aparently JR’d been running an entire family on the side no one knew about. Two other children. They didn’t know about us and we didn’t know about them. Somehow in all of this I was suppose to figure out JR loved me and only me even though he had another wife.”

“They were married?”

“While he was married to Cally.”

“Did you figure that out about JR, that he only loved you?”

“Actually I did. He left me a sixth of his precious South Fork oil and a dinner invitation which turned out to be a letter sitting across from me explaining every fear and self doubt JR ever had.”

“Really?”

“It was everything I’d ever wanted to hear from him. I didn’t need nor want a share of South Fork’s oil, son John Ross split my share with JR’s two other kids and he gave his share to James and Beau. So in the end JR left is nothing but letters and Bobby and Gary kept their share. He arranged for Lucy to get the Wade ranch and friend out Lucy had a trustfund just like John Ross.”

“Really? I didn’t know that.”

“John Ross and Lucy each own forty percent of Ewing Indusrtries and the DelSol Group owns the remaining twenty. It isn’t what JR wanted but why should he get everything he wanted?”

“I couldn’t agree more. Margret said John Ross and Lucy even shared Cyberbyte shares with all the grandchildren, including her and Christopher and Lucy’s brother and sister. Not exactly a JR stunt.”

“No it wasn’t. He just wants peace in the family.”

“Well it looks like he finally accomplished it. You must be very proud Sue Ellen.”

“I am. I just wish he’d find some happiness of his own.”

• Like Like x 1
  16. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,842
    Thanks for posting the photos of the actors you imagine as John Ross kids. I think the last one really does look like he could be Josh's son. Except of course that he's way too old to be that. :lol:
    I mean since this is set in 2028 whoever you imagine as John Ross son must be 10 years too old today...

Nice with another Ewing BBQ and Sue Ellen and Ray popping up for a visit along with Margaret and Lucas. :)

I'm glad Sue Ellen knows that JR loved only her.
    I like the touch that John Ross has Cliff Barnes' photo at the office of Ewing Oil. I bet JR wouldn't be pleased about that one:Clol:

Oh and this was funny too:

"Do you remember Carmen?"
    "Can't say that I do."

:laugh1:

17. stevew

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +417
    [​IMG]
    Charlotte Wendell, Jeremy’s oldest daughter from his 1st marriage, board of West Star

[​IMG]
    Jeremy Paul “Paul” Wendell, II, Jeremy’s oldest son from his fist marriage, board of West Star

and

[​IMG]
    Amy Anderson, Punk and Mavis’s Granddaughter, socialite

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. stevew

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +417
    [​IMG]
    Lucas Ewing, Principal of the Wade Ranch, President of R. L. Krebs Capital

[​IMG]
    Juan Carlos DelSol, III
    Chairman and CEO DelSol Group,
    board of Ewing Industries and West Star

[​IMG]
    Mateo Ramos,
    President of Branchwater,
    Elena and Drew’s youngest brother

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. stevew

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +417
    Just as the sun has barely peaked over the horizon, John Ross meets with Juan Carlos and Mateo in the den at South Fork, small pictures of family all around the room, his mother and father’s second wedding, his grandmother and grandpa Clayton, his grandpa Jock in his heavy lambskin coat, Pamela Barnes.

“Where do things stand?” John Ross asks.

Mateo answers, “Lucas had invested heavy, his money and Ray’s, into Calco in anticipation of the merger.”

“Good. I’m glad he trays me. Ewing Industries has finished their shift from West Star to Calco, leaving just enough invested in West Star to get burned.”

Juan Carlos adds, “And the DelSol Group’s swapping West Star for Calco is complete.”

“Perfect. I’ll talk to my sister again about merging Calco and Harwood and get the ball rolling.”

Mateo comments, “must seem odd, your father having another family out there.”

“Not if you’d known my father. Once the Calco merger is complete, the fall of West Star is ready to happen?”

Mateo smiles. “You were right, put him in charge and he can’t help but cook the books. The whole things ready to collapse.”

Juan Carlos adds, “I’ll send in my letter of resignation from West Star today stating I’ll be assuming the Chairman’s seat of CalcoHarwood.”

“Good. Then when complete we’ll pick up the pieces of WestStar. And Trident?”

Juan Carlos says, “it’s already for the plunder.”

“Good. Let’s get that ball rolling first. I want to pick up up for the name first thing as the Calco and Harwood merger is complete.”

Mateo says, “The Wendell’s will loose their shirts once West Star collapses.”

“That’s their problem. This should put the nail in the coffin of last of my father’s enemies. Each member of the Cartel, the Barnes, now the Wendell’s, falling like pawn pieces. And, I want to make sure they can’t get back up.”

Jack meets with Amy over lunch in a bright and airy Dallas restaurant. Any says, “Please don’t bother to explain and not here. I don’t really care who you feel the need to sleep with but the media does. So you’d better figure out how to deal with this, that’s all I’m saying. When they get here, if the subjects brought up, you’d better have an answer.”

“I’ve got this covered.”

“I can’t believe Dale Richards is threatening to pull party support. Especially after all the support your grandmother and father through his way.”

“What if he won’t budge?”

“Then you get rid of him.”

“Threaten him?”

“Hell no. Smile and let him know you’ll be in touch and then without warning burry the little worm. You don’t warn anyone. That’s for pussies that don’t really want to do what they’re threatening.”

“I suppose you’re right.”

“Just think, what would JR Ewing do in this position?”

A few minutes later they’re sitting with an older gentlemen, polished and professional. John Ross cuts him off, “Listen Dale, like my daddy always said, where there's a way, there's a will. I expect you to make this happen.”

“I’m sorry Jack. Your family are big doners, but we’re not about to loose the seat so you can have the fun of running. We won’t be backing you.”

“And your handshake on our agreement?”

“Doesn’t matter.”

“Then this meeting is done. Just you remember you took the first shot. I don’t want you crying I started things when this is all over.”

“Listen Jack, it’s just not the time.”

“Anything worth having is worth going for, all the way.”

Dale leaves the table.

Amy asks, “Now what?”

“There’s an old Ewing saying, if you can't get in the front door, just go around to the back.”

Ellie approaches a young, buff, ranchhand in the barn. “Erik. I need to speak to you.”

“Yes.”

“I’m Ellie Ewing. We’ve meet a few times.”

“Yes.”

She smiles. “Articulate. So it seems before stopping here you’ve had a colorful past. I like to know about everyone around me. Consider it nosy. My father has a company Branchwater, they provide security.”

“They’re paramilitary.”

“That’s it. They also have a clandestine division. Do you know what that is?”

“Done in secret.”

“Yes. They collect information. Especially that which people don’t want out. I have sone friends who help me when there are people around I need to know more about. Like you.”

“Why do you need to know more about me?”

“You work on Southfork. Well, so imagine my surprise when I found out about you before your military career. Porn.” She shows him a video on her phone. “Nothing to be ashamed about. You’re talented. I always find it best to hire professional men for these kinds of things.”

“What are you saying?”

“I’ve got some things to take care of right now, but this evening after diner I’ll stop by. You can show me your skills.” Ellie pats his chest and walks out.

Steven meets in a lab with a couple of people who tell him they believe this could triple or more more the amount of methane gas we can currently get at. Steven says, “Thereby plummeting the price and keeping people using it for a while longer. His clean does it burn?”

“Well it’s a carbon. But almost zero sulfur dioxide, nitrogen oxides, mercury and particulate ash.”

“And then there’s the extraction process itself. Natural gas extraction is far more likely to release methane than other extraction processes, but this process seems to handle that. If accurate it’ll produce none, or negotiable amounts, thus provide even more, factoring in loss from transferring the gas.”

“Ewing Industries could corner the market. Produce gas do cheaply no one else could compete for decades. Do what you need to do. Start this as if new today I want a new patent and this marketable in a year.”

“But Ewing Alternative Energies is in the renewable energy business.”

“Was. I’ll set this up as a seperate company of Ewing Industries and a spin off of Ewing Alternative. Just get working on it. I want a rig up and running as of yesterday.” Steve walks out of the lab and runs into Ellie.

“What did you need to see me about so urgently it couldn’t wait until you got home?”

“That gas extraction process I found. I had it confirmed. They believe it’ll work. I’ve given it the green light but that’ll require money. A lot of money that I don’t have the authority to allocate.”

“Well I don’t work for Ewing Industries.”

“We both know you can get this done.”

“Why not talk to dad about it?”

“Because Ellie, I want him to see I could pull this off. I want to set up a spin off of Ewing Alternative. The Ewing Methane Company. And I want to be president of the company.”

“And you think I know the people within Ewing Industries to make that happen and will fun this venture?”

“I know you do.”

“Alright. And if I do this, I want a piece of Ewing Methane. You, me and Jack. Most of it stays with Ewing Industries of course but we’ll each take a piece.”

“A tiny piece could make us billionaires. As is it’ll become Ewing Industries biggest asset. We will be the only ones on the world producing natural gas. No one else we be able to afford to.”

Ellie hugs him, grabs his arm and walks him down the hall, “We’ve got to find Jack and let him know.”

In a makeshift office in the back of the Jack Ewing for State Senate headquarters Ellie closes the door and says to Jack, “What do you mean he’s pulling the party’s backing. He can’t do that.”

Jack says, “Well he did.”

The only other person in the room, Steven, sits and watches.

“That bastard. So what’s that mean?”

“The party nominated me but they won’t be providing any support.”

“We don’t need their support. Amy thinks this is a game of chicken with dad because he backed the Democrat for Governor.”

“The Culver's are old family friends, of course he did. If he thinks he can reign in our father over this he’s an idiot. So an idiot he is. We certainly don’t need the party’s money. Run as an independent.”

“What are the odds of winning as an independent?”

“As a Ewing?”

“Still.”

“No still about it Jack.”

20. stevew

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +417
    John Ross passes out drinks in the dinning room. Ellie sits in a big green chair next the fire place like a queen holding court. Steven takes a drink from his father and hands it to her sister while she talks. She doesn’t miss a beat talking about Missouri Edwards’ new book. Lucy takes her drink and sits on the sofa asking if she could arrange for him to speak to her literary club.

Jack walks in with Amy. John Ross says, “What’ll be?”

“Can you make a Quill?”

“Orange twist!”

“Yes please.”

John Ross says, “Comimg up,” as he hands a bourbon and branch to Jack.

Jack says to the room, “I wanted everyone you know, Amy’s agreed to marry me.”

Congratulations go all around and Amy shows off her 9 carat, pear shaped diamond solitaire.

The doorbell rings and John Ross says, “That’ll be Lucas. I invited him to dinner.”

A butler shows Lucas into the living room without says a word. Lucas says, “This is Huda Ali. We meet this afternoon at a horse auction. She mentioned meeting you several years ago, John Ross. Apparently you and her father had some business together.”

The young woman says, “I was very young but I couldn’t help but remember you. My father is the Emir of Al Ain.”

“Yes we did have some business dealings. He’d promised my father access to his oil reserves in exchange for American investments. I recall your father was not very patient.”

“Our country’s only natural resource was Petroleum. I say was because as you know there isn’t anything left. And from what I’m told you have an amazing talent for finding oil where even technology can’t get at it.”

“Yes. I’m sorry I couldn’t be of more help, but your nation’s sovereign fund is impressive.”

“Well, we’ve weathered the storm. Not all of us, but most of us. My Uncle Nasir returned from business here in Dallas and a publication, one I believe you own, the Dallas Post, exposed his affair with a Hunter McKay. Apparently the boy hung himself over it.”

“I didn’t own the Post at the time. Judith Brown did. I’m sorry about you Uncle.”

“Yes in Al Ain homosexuality is a capital crime.”

“Well I told Lucas how much you helped my country in our time of need, finish extracting every last drop of oil. And during the Revolution supporting His Royal Highness’s role role as a constitutional monarch.”

Hors d'oeuvres are brought in as small talk breaks out over horses, cattle and wedding planning. The same man who introduced Lucas whispers in Lucy’s ear and she announces dinner is ready. They make their way across the fall.

In the dinning room Lucy sits where Miss Ellie had always sad and John Ross in his grandfather’s place. As soon as Lucy’s napkin is in her lap the same man from early begins placing soup bowls in front of everyone.

The family walks back to the living room. Huda takes John Ross’s arm as they walk back across the hall, “You must know Antonio de la Vega?”

“Not that I recall.”

“A divine man. They have a beautiful haciendas in Spain. They came from Venezuela. Still many contacts down there. Still so much oil. His mother ran the family oil business. She was a friend of your father’s, they had some business together sometime ago. Early nineties I’d guess.”

“And he mentors me?”

“No not you I suppose, you’re father. I guess he hadn’t realized he’d passed. Your grandfather had some business in Venezuela as well. Troublesome place. The Cartel de las Lunas runs the place. Such a shame. All that oil under the ground and now it will never help the people.”

“I’ve heard of Cartel de las Lunas. They’re behind the Lunas Corporation, an investment company that’s brought nearly nine percent of West Star.”

“They’re interested in another American refining business.”

“We should discuss busibesss, Huda, but I’m interested in this situation. So, tell me how is the museum. I recall your older sister was very busy building it into an impressive collection. Spent a great deal of your country’s resources collecting pieces.”

“All of that’s come to a halt. There’s talk of selling pieces, if not the entire non Muslim collection to prop up the sovereign fund.”

“Of such a shame. It really meant a lot to you sister.”

Coffee is placed on the table in front of Lucy. She begins to pour and pass them out as John Ross man’s the bar and the digestifs.

Out in the patio John Ross smokes a cigar and drinks a brandy when Lucas steps out. They look on at the well lit up barns. “Busy night?” Lucas asks and then lights his cigar.

“It is. Big sale coming up.”

“Prices keep getting better.”

Jack says good night to Amy at her car with a gentle kiss. She says, “Find out what that girl is up to. She’s not sniffing around to talk old times.”

“I agree. She mentioned Antonio de la Vega being in town.”

“I’ll see what I can find out.”

Jack grins and kisses her cheek, “Do that. No surprises. Last thing we need is a South American crime family moving into Dallas again.”

“I couldn’t agree more.” Amy gets in her car and drives away.

In her hotel room Jack undresses Huda.

Ellie steps out onto the back porch with her father. “Lucas gone?”

“Headed home.”

“He’s investing in Calco with you, I hear.”

“You hear almost as much as Mateo.”

Ellie smiles, “I’ll take that as a compliment.” She then takes the cigar from her father and rubs it out. “Rumor has it Calco and Harwood are in merger talks and you’re looking to unload West Star. Now I can’t believe you’re just going to hand West Star back over to the Wendell’s.”

“I don’t gave any disagreement with the Wendell’s. Besides my dear, always is a good idea to do someone a favor today that you can cash in on tomorrow.”

“There’s something you’re not telling me.”

“And I’m not going to tell you. You’ve got your secrets. Chris’s extraction process.”

“You know about that?”

“I shelved it.”

“The tech people believe it’s worth developing.”

“Well there’s a right time for everything.”

“Did you put Steven up to researching company assets to come across it, daddy?”

“You’re speculatin’ I’m manipulatin’ you two in the direction I want ya to go.”

Ellie takes a sip of his brandy. “So why aren’t you out there working?”

“Never work on a full stomach sweetheart. I’ll be out there soon enough.”

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 7)