"Dallas" Politically Incorrect?

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Kenny Coyote, May 1, 2019.

?

What Do You Think Would Ultimately Happen As A Result Of Dallas Debuting Now And Angering PC Groups

Poll closed May 6, 2019.
  1. Organizations with a highly PC Agenda would have had Dallas cancelled or dramatically changed

33.3%
  2. Organizations would have tried to do that but completely failed to accomplish their goal

66.7%
  1. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,782
    Medals:
    At least we still got Miley Cyrus!

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,500
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    I´m sure Jock, Miss Ellie and probably also Donna (I remember her scene with him when he tells her she´s pregnant) did call him Harlan. And Sue Ellen would call him anything whenever he gives him a good shot of something strong!!

3. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,782
    Medals:
    It's the difference between Mr. Ewing and Mr. Bobby.
    Mr. Ewing is the formal way, in the case of Mr.Jock and Mr. Bobby the joke is on the Ewings.
    However
    The fact that she uses the term out of free will or as a business tactic doesn't make it much better.
    The wrong message being: a role play to capitalize on historical misfortune and degradation in order to be successful in the modern world.
    She cheekily explains why she does it, and that takes the sting out of it, but that doesn't change the fact that she's doing it.
    It's similar to women exploiting sexism: show some legs in order to get that extra bit of validation, or the gay man pretending to be straight or overtly effeminate (whatever suits the situation best).

But that's how the world works: we adjust and try to make the best of it.
    It doesn't bother me, personally, but I could imagine that this kind of perception would not be welcomed in modern storytelling.
    We should never have to pretend, the validation is purely based on our skills. And I think that's a good thing. At the same time I think there's something unsettling about the idea that someone's fiction/creation needs to be altered or censored by modern standards, or any standard for that matter.

4. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,258
    Nothing has to be censored or altered. People can leave their creations as they imagined them. But those who live by the free market, die by the free market. When advertisers boycott or abandon someone, when the social media or regular media turn against them, and when the viewers or readers abandon them, they have been judged for that creation. If they have been savvy, they have found venues and audiences impervious to such reactions. If not, it was nice knowing them. The media agora is very Darwinian.

5. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,782
    Medals:
    Right. Especially if some PC group would succeed in getting the show cancelled (not my idea, it just happens to be the concept of this thread)

6. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,504
    Medals:
    So Tilly exploits racism in the same way that Sue Ellen exploits sexism when she starts Valentine Lingerie: "I'm a woman. I know my audience."

Last edited: May 4, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,258
    But if a show is on a network/venue susceptible to such pressure, that was still a choice . There are nowadays plenty of venues where such pressure would not exist. Even the ratings pressure is not omnipresent.

8. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,782
    Medals:
    I think so, yes. It exploits the idea that all women are sex objects, better still: want to be sex objects.
    Or maybe, not yet.

Last edited: May 4, 2019
  9. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,258
    There is quite a big backlash against such pressures; the left and particularly some militant and delusional factions have overplayed their hand many times, most recently in the US in 2016, when they helped elect Donald Trump as president. I think the overall public doesn't go to either extremes of bigotry, sexism, and homophobia nor to painting everyone as a white privileged cracker who needs to be (as per their ungrammatical pet term) "woke."

10. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,782
    Medals:
    I agree, but who knows what the future will bring?
    Just look at the smoking ban issue, it demonstrates how we can lose our sense of proportion.
    Ironically, fictional smoking habits have increased significantly in TV entertainment, and it's not the casual style smoking of the 70s and 80s, it's a thing. Peaky Blinders even made artsy sequences out of lighting a cigarette.
    I guess that supports you backlash argument?

11. Via The Void

Via The Void Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +957
    I stand corrected. :)