Dallas News Dallas Reunion at the Hollywood Show 1-2 November in LA

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Karin Schill, Oct 10, 2019.

1. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +9,313
    Medals:
    To me Omri Katz was a perfect John Ross when he was a child/adolescent.
    But when I think of John Ross as a teenager or adult I now always think of Josh Henderson's interpretation. He was also perfect in the role.
    Omri Katz as the adult John Ross wouldn't have worked IMHO. So a recast was necessary for Dallas TNT.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,356
    It's a tough call. I understand why the producers decided to go with Josh Henderson. His name IS familiar with the today's audience from Desperate Housewives. With that handsome face the producers possibly banked on Josh to pull the teens in. The problem is John Ross is no longer a teenager himself. When TNT Dallas rolled around John Ross was 33 years old and sometimes I felt the writers were treating John Ross and Christopher like teenagers rather than behaving like young adults.

I personally would have liked to see Omri assume the role of John Ross if only to offer some familiarity to us old-timers and his history with Larry and Linda.

On a side note one of the Australian commercial networks screened Hocus Pocus and I happened to catch it. The movie holds up well and Omri's acting was top-notch.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +9,313
    Medals:
    But haven't you watched JR Returns?
    There they kept Omri as a teenager/young adult John Ross. I think if he had been kept for the reboot we just would have gotten more of what we saw on that one.

Also true about wanting to hook the younger viewers. Josh looks appeals to a female audience of a certain age group.

I am about the same age as John Ross and Christopher and I never had any problem with how the characters were portrayed. A lot of people from my age group settles down later than people did before. People studies longer, starts working later, travel more and settles down and have families later in life. So for these two men in their early 30s to still be single or married without children was not strange to me at all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Miss Texas 1967

Miss Texas 1967 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +824
    I'm gonna jump into the discussion and say two things, one agreeing and the other disagreeing.

I don't think Omri Katz would have worked as an adult John Ross based on the movies where his awkward teenage years were super apparent. I think Josh Henderson did an excellent job as the new, grown, conflicted John Ross. In saying that, the way the two boys were written in the TNT show did make them seem like teenagers or college students. It wasn't just a case of being unsettled for me, they didn't have to be married with kids (although I do think the parallels might have been interesting), but the women swapping, emotional outbursts and the lack of progress in their careers made them seem much younger than they were supposed to be. They were both 10+ years graduated from college and just getting started in careers in 2011/2012 ish? That didn't seem right to me, not for who they were (rich Ewings) and how driven they decided to become at the start point of the show (oil and methane).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,356
    Again it's difficult to tell how Omri would have fared in TNT Dallas. According to Wikipedia he hasn't appeared in anything since 2002 but knowing his history with Larry and Linda there could have been an opportunity. Whether it worked is all conjecture.