1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dallas Stars In Other TV Shows Or Movies

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Kenny Coyote, Mar 13, 2020.

1. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Enthusiast EXP: 12 Years

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +2,351
    A number of people have remarked on what a good main cast Dallas had. Does it surprise you that more of them didn't have more success in other stages of their careers in TV or movies?

Right now, the only one who comes to mind that had a starring role in what I'd consider a hit TV show was Larry Hagman with I Dream Of Jeannie. Maybe Patrick Duffy in Step By Step would also qualify. I don't know if any of the main cast had a starring role in a real big movie.

They all played their roles in Dallas so well, that at the time Dallas ended, I expected to see a lot of them with major roles in some other high profile projects, whether in movies or TV. I didn't end up seeing nearly as many of them have the kind of continuing success I was expecting. Were the actors in the main cast of Dallas just exceptionally good at their roles in Dallas but not particularly versatile, or were they not offered the opportunities that they probably should have been?

I believe that the TV and movie industry vastly underutilized some of these people after Dallas ended.

For example, Larry Hagman did get a starring role in another TV series after Dallas but it was "Orleans" in 1997. I remembered being very interested in seeing it and then quite disappointed when it premiered. It wasn't the kind of show that allowed Larry Hagman to display his talent to its fullest. Orleans only lasted 8 episodes and got cancelled. That's a long wait - 6 years for another starring role and then it's on a show with a script of such low quality that it doesn't even last half a season.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
  2. Brian Kinney

Brian Kinney Soap Chat Active Member EXP: 1 Year

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +173
    Larry Hagman was in Oliver Stone's Nixon. It was a small but very memorable part as an oil tycoon from Texas, the only character in the movie who was fictional. He played along Anthony Hopkins. The scene was so strong that it was shown as the clip during the Academy Awards broadcast when Hopkins was nominated. Hagman also had an interesting arc in one season of Nip/Tuck, with Brooke Shields and Jaqueline Bissett.

Audrey Landers was in Richard Attenborough's A Chorus Line, a part for which she was perfectly cast but it didn't forward her acting career. I was mostly surprised that Linda Gray didn't land another hit show because she was certainly the stand-out actress on Dallas. I actually think the very talented Morgan Brittany had the misfortune to look too much like a young Vivien Leigh or a porcelain doll of that actress, she was too beautiful to get parts as a cop, lawyer or whatever is considered real.

You are right, that it was difficult for them to get good parts in other shows or films. But I remember that the stars of the much-awarded 80's TV series Hill Street Blues didn't fare better. Whatever happened to Daniel J. Travanti or Veronica Hamel? Most of them landed forgettable TV movies. I think the only 80's TV stars that are still visible are John Goodman/ Laurie Metcalf (Roseanne -> The Connors), Corbin Bernsen/ Harry Hamlin (L.A. Law -> Psych and The Resident / Shameless and Shooter) and Tom Selleck (Magnum P.I. -> Blue Bloods). Of course William Devane, David Selby and Susan Sullivan are still working.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle EXP: 19 Years

Threads:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +9,449
    Fictionalized -- he was a composite character.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Justine

Justine Soap Chat Well-Known Member EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +852
    To answer your question,
    I think it's that they were so good in their roles that they weren't offered the opportunities because of fear the audience will only see their Dallas characters. I mean, even as I watch Linda Gray in extremely different roles like those in the TV movies (Moment of Truth series) circa 1993/4, it's hard not to see Sue Ellen every time she plays an emotional scene.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Billy Wall

Billy Wall Soap Chat Fan EXP: 1 Year

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +419
    Watching old commercials is a guilty pleasure of mine. I came across Mary Crosby’s guest appearance on The Fall Guy from 1984. And the voiceover says, I’m paraphrasing, “staring the woman who shot JR.”

That’s how big Dallas was. ABC’s The Fall Guy uses CBS’s Dallas to promote its show.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
  6. Taylor Bennett Jr.

Taylor Bennett Jr. Soap Chat Dream Maker EXP: 1 Year

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +3,455
    Veronica Hamel, of course, went back in time and befriended Pam while working as a model at The Store, running away from a troubled past that came back to haunt her and powerful financier Ben Maxwell.

[​IMG]

(all this after/before narrowly missing out on an Emmy, as the glamorous Liz Craig edged out a star-studded field that also included Miss Ellie and Sue Ellen)