1. Festive Names

Do you want to change your name to something festive ?

Click here for more details

Dismiss Notice

Dallas: What It Had And What It Lost

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Kenny Coyote, Aug 23, 2019.

1. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +1,657
    Good post Jimmy! I especially like the quotes from philosophers. I love a post with intellectual substance.

I have to congratulate on making a case for who is the hero of Dallas: Of everyone who thinks that JR was a villain, you're the only one so far who I have seen be able to answer the question who then, is the hero of Dallas?

I think we agree more than we disagree. We agree that while JR had charm, wit and other likable characteristics and redeeming qualities such as love and respect for his parents and remaining calm in high-pressure situations, JR also did many things which cannot be justified.

As for how cutthroat one has to become to not just survive but flourish in the oil industry Dallas depicts, Id' say pretty damn cutthroat. That's the way it appeared to me. It appeared that if a man didn't become very hard and aggressive, he wouldn't stand a chance against his competitors who had. I never bought into the notion that Bobby's personality and his values changed during the contest, and that he became a worse man. I think he became what he had to become and i don't see how anyone can blame him for becoming what he had to become. He adapted. It's a lot like Darwin's theory of evolution; it's survival of the fittest. It's not survive of the nicest or the most fair. Those who are not the fittest become extinct. You can hardly fault one for not wanting to become extinct.

When Bobby was at home he looked like the same old Bobby to me. I always saw Bobby treat his wife and son extremely well. Pam remarried him - so there must be something to that.

Do you remember seeing evidence of Bobby treating Pam and Christopher poorly during the time when he was what some called "the new Bobby"? I just never saw "a new Bobby" other than what I've already described pertaining to what he did professionally. I never saw him act any differently in his personal life. Aside from the way he had to be in his professional life, I thought "the new Bobby" was a myth.

Again, you backed up that argument you were defending far better than I've seen anyone else do it. We don't have to change each other's minds. The debate is an end in itself - the exchange of ideas and the challenge of making the best possible case for one's argument is something I find very enjoyable.

I know it's not for everyone. I've seen, and I'm talking abut the internet in general - not this forum necessarily - that not everyone has the constitution for a debate. So many times I've seen people become so shaken, they become insecure and afraid they're losing the argument and they get desperate enough that they initiate the use of personal attacks.

REALITY CHECK: We're using screen names, at least most of us are, so even if I, or Jimmy or someone else one day makes a silly mistake while debating, who cares, especially when we're using these screen names that give us anonymity? As human beings, we are all very fallible. Only God is not fallible. So when I do something I realize was not my best effort, that's a very human thing to do. The fun is in trying to do your best and enjoying the exchange of ideas!

If someone were to somehow "prove" my favorite Dallas character is a worse person than I thought, it wouldn't change my life by one iota. I hope I never become so emotionally invested in a fictional character that I just cannot stand to face the realization that he's not or she's not what I thought. The day that ever happens to me, is the day I quit watching Dallas and anything similar to it.

They're fictional characters! They don't exist! They never did exist. They're the product of someone's imagination and at the push of a pen, your favorite character could have been changed into a spoiled, petulant, little brat you absolutely cannot stand. That's all it would have ever taken. The push of a pen. Keep that in mind.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Jimmy Todd

Jimmy Todd Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +930
    Your comments about civil debate, keeping things in perspective, and not being afraid to be wrong could be an entire thread themselves. I can't tell you how many people I've met much younger than me who share your view. Just yesterday I was speaking to someone at the gym who was saying how few people
    he knows can have a debate without getting their feelings hurt if you don't agree with them. I don't know why this has become more prevalent, but it's a shame. Debating people with whom you don't agree and being wrong are great ways to grow and learn. They, like this forum, can also be great fun.
    Back to the so called Bobby, he never really did anything that season or after that was so terrible besides the George Hicks thing. I blame JR for not that situation more than Bobby. I'm not saying Bobby was behaving entirely ethical, but Pam overreacted a bit. I'll put Pam's reaction down to stress. She recently adopted a baby, a good thing, but a major life change, her brother attempted suicide, and her mother died.
    So to answer your question, no, I never saw Bobby radically change. He was always the same. For example, he won the contest and could have kept Ewing Oil for himself as JR planned to do. Yet, he decided to share it. That's in keeping with his character.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +1,657
    Bobby takes a lot of flack for the George Hicks incident, but think of what would have likely happened had Bobby done nothing, just let it slide. Then Hicks keeps voting to ensure JR keeps his variance. JR can supply all his gas stations and add who knows how many extra ones. The variance had been called JR's big edge over Bobby. With the amount of extra profit JR would have made by being able to keep his variance, it's very likely that even having the Canadian deal come through on time wouldn't have been enough. Jr wins the contest. Does anyone think JR would have done what Bobby did and share the company after winning it? So then we have a situation where JR is running Ewing Oil with complete autonomy. Imagine the harmful things JR could have done without Bobby there to temper that element of him.

I have to think if you weigh the bad JR could have done with complete autonomy, it would have far outweighed the bad of Bobby blackmailing Hicks. So you might look at it as Bobby was just being proactive and doing what would ultimately cause the least amount of overall harm done by Ewing Oil. I also think Bobby wanted his father's company to keep a reputation of integrity and he couldn't trust JR with complete autonomy to keep his father's company's image in good standing.

Bobby was doing what was necessary to accomplish those goals, unless of course you can think of a way he could have accomplished what he did by blackmailing Hicks in a different way that didn't involve anything dirty such as blackmail or bribery. Here we are, over 36 years after that happened and although I have debated that exact subject before, I've never had a single person come up with a better way of achieving what he did - getting the board to vote honestly on the variance. Not one. Thirty six years is a long time to have to think up a better solution for Bobby. The majority outright pretended they didn't see the question. Would it hurt their egos so badly to say, "All this time I've criticized Bobby over blackmailing Hicks and sided with Pam, I've never been able to come up with a better solution for Bobby to achieve the same thing by ethical means"? I'll admit it right now. I can't think of a way Bobby could have handled that ethically while still achieving the result of getting the board to vote impartially on JR's variance. That didn't hurt a bit.

I've never ran from a question in a debate. I've said "I don't know" and I've sometimes given answers that I no longer agree with today, but I've never ran from a question. That would defeat the whole point of the debate - to test yourself and your beliefs against opposition and find out what happens. It's a growing process. Im a big believer in personal growth but a lot of people don't want to do it because in the process of personal growth we're going to make mistakes and out in the real world where we're doing things with real consequences, those mistakes are often painful. Everybody wants the benefits of personal growth but not everybody is willing to pay the price required to achieve it.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. J. R.'s Piece

J. R.'s Piece Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,241
    Medals:
    Valene attempted to get Lucy back legally. Lucy mentions that she heard this to Pam in the very first episode of Dallas. Valene and Gary also confirm to Sid and Karen Fairgate in episode 7 of Knots Landing that Valene tried to get Lucy back but the law sided with Gary’s family.

• Like Like x 1