Dark Shadows has arrived!

Discussion in 'Cult TV' started by Alexis, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,169
    One of the Todds (Phillip, I think) mentioned the moon landing in dialogue, which was another OMG moment in terms of their recognition of the outside world. That odd music they played at the Blue Whale may very well have been current to 1966 or whatever but how would I know? :)

I love it all, actually--the whole package of $1.98 budget, rapid-pace filming, the occasional scenery-chewing. I hope I don't come off as critical, because I'm actually kind of in awe of how much they accomplished with so little...and when it's all clicking, this is a totally can't miss show. It must have been so exciting to be part of that wave of popularity.

The "establishing shots" used in the early months of the series were likely all the network would allow them in terms of budget.

• Like Like x 1
  2. darkshadows38

darkshadows38 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +251
    i think i said this in the past, on how they made 3 trips to i forget where the hall or whatever the hell the outside of collinwood is the actual place i mean. the 1st trip was before the show even started production on the pilot. where they shot a slew of different stuff no doubt one trip was when Roger Crashed the Car. that i think was the 2nd trip but i'm just guessing on that. no doubt they spread them throughout the episodes and even reused a lot of them until they decided to scrap it for more story and when you watch that era of the show you like those shots and you miss them when they are gone but than at the same time they aren't needed either. as for the music it does sound 60's absolutely
    and no doubt it was to save money but i didn't say the music was bad.

i just said i don't think any teenager in the 60's would dance to music like that but than i wasn't around in the 60's so i could be wrong on that too.

3. Don Howard

Don Howard Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +350
    I liked the black & white shows better than the color. So the solution for me was to switch the set from color to B&W mode while watching from Episode 295 forward.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,468
    Oddly and without fully realising it I returned to watching Dark Shadows exactly a year after I began watching initially. Something about it just really lends itself to watching in the Autumn and Winter so again naturally I just popped in the disc where I left off. I binged last night and again this evening and so I am now on episode 75. It's a show that just cries out to be watched on the long cold dark nights, it gets dark around 6 now and that just feels right. The slow languid pacing and never ending story vibe just feels right when it's cold and dark and there's nothing better to do.

After what felt like 14700 episodes ago when they hinted at the Josette Ghost character we have finally had our real first vision of her. Well sort off! We have learned about the old house in the woods, the old Collins house. There it lays abandoned, still weirdly filled with antiques and chandeliers and marble fire places and oil paintings. As if! But that just adds to the wonderfulness of it all. Little creepy bowl cut David has been telling Victoria Winters of "My name is Victoria Winters" fame that he hears voices and speaks to ghosts up at the old house and so off they go to find the ghosts only they don't... They leave and then later Josette Collins comes to life and in a special effects shot glides down right out of the painting and then walks around the deserted old mansion. All glowing white and looking exactly like a ghost from a gothic novel.
    God I love Dark Shadows!

• Like Like x 4
  5. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,459
    Many genre fans have often cited the '60s as the best decade for horror, and DARK SHADOWS, though rambling and unfocused, is a great example of why. Even when it's stupid, it's got that mood goin' on.

I've often wondered what it might have been like if DARK SHADOWS had been a primetime series shot on high quality 35mm film, so we could enjoy perfect prints and frankly fewer episodes, the storylines more consolidated. But not only was daytime TV much less competitive back then (it would have had a harder time surviving in primetime, let alone enjoy its "adult" feel daytime soaps were permitted then which was a no-no for primetime) somehow the meandering structure and cheapily flickering video look simply was DARK SHADOWS. You had the sense you'd tapped into an alternative frequency, one completely unaware of yet umbilically concurrent to the languid, tumultuous, politicized, late-'60s vibe of the time, with all its angsty tension.

Like a séance occurring while protests over the Vietnam war rage outside, both realities oblivious to each other.

It's a kind of dingy (as in dinge, not "ding") ectoplasmic organicity which a high-budgeted primetime show would have missed entirely.

[​IMG]

But you can tell it emanates from the same zone which produced the autumnal melancholy of THE GREAT PUMPKIN and the post-apocalyptic paranoia of NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  6. darkshadows38

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +251
    there was something i printed from online where it was called you know you watch too much dark shadows when you and it had a long list. but one of them was if you are doing Seance's i dunno the spelling sorry about that. to answer questions you want answered or something like that, much like they do in this show. he he

7. darkshadows38

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +251
    having said that i found on blu-ray.com that it had seasons 1-5 of the original show that you can get for pre-order seasons 1-5 ? i'm sorry the show never was a season show it was a damn soap opera for god's sake. anyways having also said that is this true? or just something to amuse me? cause to my knowledge the episodes that are in awful condition can't be fixed and if they did do that they'd get rid of audio and maybe some scenes and fans would than can get pissed. shit they more or less no they pretty much said that on the dvd releases well on certain volumes anyways.

but than i heard doctor who would never got to blu-ray at all cause of the fact it wasn't shot on film well other than Spearhead from Space and apparently not only were they wrong but so was i as well cause we got season 12 out this past June.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018