Dark Shadows has arrived!

Discussion in 'Cult TV' started by Alexis, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Canon

Canon Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +592
    Medals:
    In a parallel time...

Screenshot_20190714-113442_Chrome.jpg

Roger and Barnabas enjoy a day out on Fire Island.

2. darkshadows38

darkshadows38 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +329
    Medals:
    `reading up really they died i guessed i missed that. i've seen the entire show from Episoide #1 to #1245 i'd say about 5 or 6 times at least. i use to have them all on VHS but i wore them out so i had to throw them damn near all away. there's really only a couple left now. i have them all on dvd but 3 sets i need. actually i disagree stuff does happen before Barnabas or Laura come to the show. i think the 1st appearance of a ghost is around i want to say epsiode #45 or so. see the early years are more mystery and some soap too it's a dark show in tone even before it went supernatural. one of the funniest things that did happen to the show was the set for the old house before Johnathon Frid joined the show it was around the time i think Matthew Morgan was on the show i think it was before he kidnapped Vicki or during i forget which, but anyways

the decorated so well that one day the came to work and found the cleaning crew had cleaned the set! not knowing it was suppose to look that way. for those who want to get into the show i'd say start at Epis0de #1 but Barnabas doesn't come in until the end of episode #209. in April of (1967) it takes i'd say 20 or 30 episodes to get into it for a newbie because it is only what 25 minutes without commericals? 22 minutes around there and so they can only fit only so much per episode. and so it does take awhile for them to stop introducing the characters and for the story to really begin.but the 1st story that we have is why was Vicki brought to Collinsport Main?

it's got a fantastic Pilot so check it out when i 1st started watching the Original show it was at the end of Laura's story arc during her 1st visit to the show. and it took me sometime to get into it because i didn't start at episode #1 and that really is only because Sci-fi Channel didn't start airing the show until i think it was episode #188 i believe? or #189 i think it was #188.

that's not a way to get into the show when Dennis Patrick already had been on the show for awhile by than. he's simply brilliant on the show and i think Jason McGuire is my favorite character of his. it's also the only role i think he said where he could use his real accent Scottish i want to say? it's been awhile since i last watched it

• Like Like x 1
  3. darkshadows38

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +329
    Medals:
    by the way did you see that Denise Nickerson died? she was on the show for 2 years as well (1968-1970) i believe before she did Willy Wonka and her and the actor who played David well David Hennesy used to sneak into Joan Bennet's room and smoke cause she always had it covered in her perfume so it drowned the smell out

4. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,484
    Medals:
    Wow![​IMG]

5. darkshadows38

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +329
    Medals:
    it's been years since i last watched it from front to back but the era of the show seen the most is i'd say Barnaba's entrance to i'd say the end of the 1795 story arc. well it's my 2nd favorite show of all time, Lost in Space the Original 60's show that is. am i the only one who has seen it all the way through? there was a site around that i forget the name of it and i wish i knew if it was still around, where it had fan fiction and it continued right from where the show went off the air to whatever year, it was written just like the show i never got around to reading any of it though. i wonder if the site is still around?

6. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,484
    Medals:
    Haha, wonderful.

7. darkshadows38

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +329
    Medals:
    i thought you'd like that

8. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,674
    Medals:
    I have been watching the show on and off for about 3 years now and I have only just recently reached the Barnabas episodes. Like I have mentioned before though I only really watch in the Autumn and Winter so it will take me quite a number of years to finish the show.

I too really enjoyed the early gothic black and white episodes without the vampire. It was more a straight soap opera but with that gothic twist, but it could be very slow paced. Saying that I do enjoy the more supernatural twist the show took too. I think it's campy hamminess is great. It is not intentionally camp. It's more them just making it work on a budget and being in the moment as an actor. They didn't have the luxury to do retakes. It was basically taped live, and in that regard there is often a lot of energy in the performances. Some bad acting, but also some great acting. So the campiness seems more unintentional and natural to me. It feels like a play and there are flubbed lines and all kinds of hiccups and glitches but they just sell it.

I think you have to ask yourself if you are prepared to really suspend you're disbelief. Do you really want to watch a daytime soap with vampires, witches, ghosts, a phoenix and god knows whatever else? Do you like the daytime soap genre anyway?

For me that was no problem. I love daytime soaps. I love vampires, witches and ghosts, I love gothic novels and I really love some scenery chewing actors giving it their all.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,484
    Medals:
    No.
    I think I've been trained well.
    I like that very much.
    Well, I'd rather watch lots of great scenes in a slow paced story than vice versa.
    What I don't like is the Bold & Beautiful-esque deliberate stalling and unnaturally stretched scenes, because it sucks the energy out of it.

Conclusion, I'm still none the wiser. I'll give it a try after I've finished Sons & Daugthers. If I still don't get "it" after, say, 100 episodes then I know it's not for me.
    And now I gracefully step aside and let you do your comments and impressions.

10. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,674
    Medals:
    I think you would know in less than 100 episodes if it was really for you or not.

11. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Mega Star

Message Count:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +5,267
    Medals:
    For what it's worth, I've never fully embraced the daytime soap genre, but that didn't stop me getting into DARK SHADOWS.

It's more PEYTON PLACE than it is BOLD AND THE BEAUTIFUL.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +7,984
    Medals:
    Apparently, the old house set was tossed on someone's orders by accident; they had to rebuild the whole thing by Monday morning.

As has been repeated endlessly by Curtis, the actors, and others over the decades, DARK SHADOWS was a show for which a generation of kids "ran home from school" to see it, as it was on at 4:00pm in the States. So the key audience was loyal to the OTT spookiness of it all, not necessarily the stellar plotting.

• Like Like x 1
  13. darkshadows38

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +329
    Medals:
    if you are thinking it's like other daytime soaps at all you are sadly mistaken if i recall certain cast members like Kathryn Leigh Scott saying that 60's soap had very few dialog that they had to remember. and she wasn't saying it was awful tv but than you have Dark Shadows that had pages and pages of dialog they had to remember. they did do retakes and what they would do is to force them to it by swearing he he, Johnathon Frid would do that sometimes but i doubt every day. one of my favorite story behind the scenes was Louis Edmonds thought he was done with a scene and he was in his dressing room which is the word i was looking for but it escaped me earlier when i talked about the kids smoking in Joan Bennett's dressing room.

anyways, and they weren't done with Louis Edmonds so he runs out with no pants on as he hadn't put his street clothes on yet and everyone came running to watch him go back into the study and do a scene with his dinner jacket on and a scene with no pants. they just didn't show his legs lol. anyways i can watch Dark Shadows anytime no matter the season, now watching X-mas movies in July is something i just can't do but DS i can watch at time come rain or shine or snow etc.. you really should watch it outside of Autumn and Winter,

that way you can actually finish the show and you won't still be on it in 3 years. anyways but like i said DS isn't like your typical soap i mean i'm not a fan of daytime soap either i did used to watch it with my mom at times if i was off from school and just plain bored but if you are expecting stories about whom slept with whom that's not on DS at all. no love scenes in anyone in bed either. here i just found this on you tube. it's a trailer that has stuff from the 1st 200 or so episodes up to Barnabas's era i think.

starting in the episode 45 or so like i said they had their 1st ghost and than as time went on they had Laura Collins show up she shows up i'm not sure the number but to hazard a number it's #120 i want to say maybe earlier than that maybe a bit later i forget to be honest. and i tried finding the 1st episode on you tube to post it here but i saw random episodes on it. maybe watching that trailer may interest you or maybe it won't i dunno but i hope you watch it at some point. let me add that in some episodes on the dvd sets or streaming for that matter certain episodes the sound and picture quality for certain ones is really bad and it's cause they remastered them as much as they could and as best as they could without taking anything out.

14. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +7,984
    Medals:
    Oh, let him watch it when he wants to. Autumn and winter make perfect since to me. After all, she's not called Victoria Summers.

15. darkshadows38

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +329
    Medals:
    honestly i've never heard anyone doing it that for DS, now watching certain horror movies like Halloween sure that i've heard of, some people only watch those movies in october. which makes more sense since they do show those quite a bit around that time.

16. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +7,984
    Medals:
  17. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,022
    Medals:
    Reminds me of a similar situation where Jonathan Frid, having finished his scenes for the day, grabbed his coat and hat and headed for the exit. He decided to cut through a set to leave, realizing too late that they had the camera focused on that set for their "beauty shot" to roll the credits over. So as the credits roll for that episode, you see JF walk in front of the camera, get a shocked look on his face and dart out of the way. Dude must've had a train to catch.

Re: Denise Nickerson: I believe she left DS to take that part in Willie Wonka. It must have been odd, leaving a nutty show like DS to do a movie, only to discover the film you're doing makes DS look like Nightly Business Report.

18. darkshadows38

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +329
    Medals:
    no i don't think it's that to be honest, the Actor who played Chris Jenning's had taken some really bad Acid and the LSD really screwed him up he was forced to quit the show, he wasn't fired he just no longer could act any longer anywhere https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Briscoe though that doesn't say why you can do a bit more research cause it was revealed

after he died a few years ago what did actually happen and in fact he actually did end up gaining a lot of weight because of how screwed up he was i think it was the medication he was on that was a side effect of it. so that's why his story arc was never finished how can you finish it if the actor who plays the story arc is forced to leave the show? and Denise Nickerson played his niece so there was no point in her having to be there at all so she was replaced. but as far as i know it wasn't because of Willy wonka of course i could be wrong but i dunno

19. darkshadows38

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +329
    Medals:
    well i did it i FINALLY FINALLY ordered the last 3 sets of DS that i needed and those were volumes 4-6 in the Beginning's Sets

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. darkshadows38

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +329
    Medals:
    well in case you are wondering which episode i'm currently at it's episode #47 i had watched Volume #1 i dunno a couple months ago i think it was? maybe more cause i started right at the start of the show which is how i always watch it and than well you get the idea i'm sure... well i remembered stopped at Volume #2 Disc #2 actually episode #45 so i put disc #2 in and i watched 2 episodes last night well you guys and gals know how to to count i'm sure lol. anyways, for some of the Characters like Billy Malloy i wonder why they got rid of his character? some of the actors i know were written out because they had trouble reading the teleprompter David Ford is one he played Sam Evans #2 than you had Mark Allen who played Sam Evans #1. i think the Original actor who played Matthew Morgan also had to quit for the same reason so there were a few of them at least in fact they wrote in one character and made him..... because it helped him read the teleprompter

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 5)