1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dark Shadows has arrived!

Discussion in 'Cult TV' started by Alexis, Oct 5, 2016.

1. darkshadows38

darkshadows38 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +353
    woo hoo Volume 5 came in the mail today i'm hoping Volume 4 and 6 come tomorrow

2. darkshadows38

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +353
    i know what i wanted to add here my VHS tapes that i used to have when i didn't have ads in them when they played on tv Sci-Fi channel fit about i think #17 episodes with them and having to fast forward i think it was more like #12 which isn't much room each DVD set contains for per set except the Beginning's sets which have #35 each i believe in them

in case anyone was wondering ya know?

3. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior EXP: 12 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +9,381
    I really should be watching Dark Shadows already.... But here I am, knee deep in DYNASTY season 5.

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. bmasters9

bmasters9 Soap Chat Dream Maker EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,059
    Riveting, isn't it, that Dynasty?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Alexis

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +9,381
    Worse still I dipped back into Sunset Beach where someone can take 9 days to walk up a set of stairs or answer a door.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +22,568
    Oh...mmh...oh...ah!

7. Alexis

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +9,381
    Meg and Annie have just had a catfight that lasted about 5 episodes.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. bmasters9

bmasters9 Soap Chat Dream Maker EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,059
    A 5-episode catfight?! That's gotta be a sight to see!

9. Alexis

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +9,381
    Well that's the joy of a daytime soap.

10. darkshadows38

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +353
    well i have since got the rest of my DS in the mail. and i've since started watching the show again, i actually did start a few months ago with episode #1 as i had forgotten which episode i had left off on. i've been watching lately one or two episodes here or there and the show actually can help relax me so i can go to sleep at night funny enough. Currently i'm at Volume #3 Disc #2 episode #81.

i have no idea where i'll reach burn out or until i just get tired of the show but at the moment that's where i am. my volume #4 didn't come with a booklet/episode guide i did send 2 e-mails to MPI a few months ago i never heard back from them at all.

11. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle EXP: 19 Years

Threads:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +9,211
    DARK SHADOWS is now airing here on some fringe broadcast network so I get to watch it every night at midnight. Right now, Elizabeth Collins Stoddard has just confessed at her wedding to killing King Galen with her groom, Vaughn Leland.

[​IMG]

12. Snarky's Ghost

Threads:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +9,211
    John Karlen, who played Willie Loomis, died Wednesday at the age of 86. He also played Tyne Daly's husband in CAGNEY & LACY in the '80s.

[​IMG]

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Snarky's Ghost

Threads:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +9,211
    [​IMG]
    John Karlen, Actor in ‘Dark Shadows’ and ‘Cagney & Lacey,’ Dies at 86

by Klaritza Rico

Emmy-winning actor John Karlen, best known for his work on the television series “Dark Shadows” and “Cagney & Lacey,” has died. He was 86.

Karlen died Wednesday of congestive heart failure at a hospice in Burbank, Calif., his friend and spokesperson Jim Pierson told the Associated Press.

The actor played conman and scoundrel Willie Loomis on “Dark Shadows,” replacing James Hall, who had abruptly left the show after five episodes. He later played several other roles for the horror soap series that aired on ABC from 1966 to 1971. The Dark Shadows News posted about the news on Twitter.

Karlen also played Harvey Lacey, husband to Tyne Daly’s Mary Beth Lacey, on the CBS police drama “Cagney & Lacey” from 1982 to 1988. He received Emmy nominations three years straight for outstanding supporting actor in a drama for his role (1985-97), and won in 1986.

Born John Adam Karlewicz in Brooklyn New York on May 28, 1933, he studied at the American Academy of Dramatic Arts and began his career on stage, appearing in the 1959 Broadway production of Tennessee Williams’ “Sweet Bird of Youth.”

Karlen amassed well over 100 acting credits throughout his television career that spanned from the late 1950s until the 1990s. In addition to his two long-running parts, he had guest appearances and recurring roles on shows including “The Streets of San Francisco,” “Charlie’s Angels,” “Hill Street Blues,” “Quincy, M.E.” and “Murder, She Wrote.”

He also made appearances on the big screen in films including “A Small Town in Texas” in 1976, “Pennies From Heaven” in 1981″ and “Racing With the Moon” in 1984. His final major role was a reprise of his Harvey Lacey character for the television movie “Cagney & Lacey: True Convictions,” in 1996.

He is survived by his son, Adam.

[​IMG] Dark Shadows News‏ @DarkShadowsNews

We are sad to report the death of #DarkShadows actor John Karlen, who played Willie Loomis, the unforgettable foil to Barnabas Collins. John died on January 22 in hospice care in Burbank, California. He was 86 had suffered a number of health setbacks over the past decade…

[​IMG]

14. Snarky's Ghost

Threads:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +9,211
    David Selby mentions Karlen in his blog, and posts some photos:

http://www.davidselby.com/blog/2020/01/23/john-karlen/

As many of you may know, Johnny Karlen left this world yesterday. Johnny was a force of nature, full of joy and love of life. His smile lit up the hearts of all his fellow actors on Dark Shadows.

We have all held onto to our love and friendship with each other through the years, and we will continue to hold onto each other as we will always be embraced with Johnny’s smile, his sense of fun, his hugs, and his love.

David

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  15. Alexis

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +9,381
    Sadly I never got around to watching any Dark Shadows this past Autumn and Winter and February is rapidly approaching. I've just been busier and it seems a whole lot more tired. I have a week off booked in for February so I may give it a blast then. I think strangely the last few months I have watched a few currant TV shows, and limited series dramas. Which I really haven't been doing in a long time. I haven't even been watching SB as much as I thought I would have. I can hear Barnabas and co calling to me from the padded envelope at he back of the wardrobe in my bedroom like some kind of half arsed Poe story.

I will have to get my finger out.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. darkshadows38

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +353
    i'm on episode #91 now. on tubi tv i think it's called they have the entire series on there for free but it's not commercial free like my dvd sets are! i saw that Karlen died and i know he was 86 but it still makes me wish he lived longer. but than for certain people i always say that, you must be near the end of Dennis Patrick's time on the show as Jason Mcguire which is my favorite character of his, with Vaughn Leland being my 2nd favorite. on DS as Jason McGuire he actually was able to use his real accent actually and i think he said that was the only role he was able to use it for.

So barnabas just joined the show not long before where you are now. where i am is this check the trivia down at the bottom too it's always nice to read those here's the page

https://darkshadows.fandom.com/wiki/91

17. Snarky's Ghost

Threads:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +9,211
    Does anybody think Barnabas changed Dracula? I don't recall Dracula being all tormented until DARK SHADOWS came along.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  18. Alexis

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +9,381
    I had been meaning to post here for ages. This post from you brings all of what I had been wanting to post about together. I didn't watch any DARK SHADOWS this autumn/winter. Not until last week when I had a few days off and decided to finally go there again. More about that later.

About DARK SHADOWS changing Dracula. You have a bit of a point I think. I recently watched the BBC's retelling of Dracula seen through a modern/comedic lens. I didn't enjoy it nor did I see the point of it. It was written and produced by Mark Gatiss and possibly someone else from The League of Gentlemen. I mean I did go into it open minded and I watched every instalment but it just left me cold and I couldn't think why the world needed it. I also couldn't think why they would use the Dracula story and not just write their own unconnected parody of it.

I haven't read Bram Stokers Dracula but after watching the BBC retelling I went straight online and ordered a copy of the original novel, and then I searched for the BBC's 1970s faith telling of the story staring Louis Jordan. It's supposedly the most faithful retelling of the story ever filmed. I enjoyed it a whole lot more. It's all on YouTube for those who are interested.
    From what I know of the book though, Dracula isn't this romantic figure. He's just a monster. As I have said, I haven't read the book yet. I thinks somewhere along the way that writers had to change Dracula from being just a monster into being a sort of forbidden romantic lead. They had to make this horror story more appealing. I think that's what they did with the first successful stage play of the book. They reimagined the Count as heart throb, which is a funny thing for the undead to be.

DARK SHADOWS very openly plundered all the successful gothic romance and gothic horror books for the elements of their plot and story. This all adds layers to their Dracula - Barnabas Collins, and to the gothic Vampire tales that became successful later. Bram Stokers Dracula is twisted into Bela Lugosi's Dracula, which is twisted into Barnabas Collins, and it becomes Salem's Lot and Interview with the Vampire, and on and on and on... Stuff gets added on and added on. Dracula becomes more and more. A handsome European Count, a seducer of women, a tragic anti-hero, a poor unfortunate soul, a tormented monster. It's all there. All these things influenced each other. However I think Anne Rice's Interview with the Vampire, and The Vampire Chronicles is what really gave us the vampire as a tragic, tormented being doomed to an eternity of disappointment. That came after DARK SHADOWS though.

Anyways back to DARK SHADOWS. Well I watched a whole discs worth of episodes in one day so it is all a bit of a blur. Long story short there is a séance at Collinwood I don't know exactly why but I think it was so that Dr Julia Hoffman could speak to David's imaginary friend Sarah who's really a ghost. Anyways something weird happened and Victoria was transported back in time to 1795 where she meets Barnabas who wrongly assumed she's the new governess. I don't fully get it at all but I'm a go with this.
    Anyway back in 1795 Victoria meets all these new (old) characters and it's a bit like Dorothy in Oz as everyone she meets is a person from her present. Well they are all played by the actors in her real time line. It's too late for me to be trying to explain something so complicated. And I am sucking at this. Meanwhile, back in the current timeline, a strange woman named Phyliss has taken Victoria's place at the séance. She's the real new governess from 1795....

I think I need to watch some more so that I can get a better handle on this.

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. Snarky's Ghost

Threads:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +9,211
    Oh, no. It was well before Rice's stuff -- although I hate the Tom Cruise movie.

All of the Draculas prior to DARK SHADOWS were just predatory and hungry -- up through Christopher Lee. The ones after Barnabas -- including Frank Langella and Gary Oldman -- were now tormented in keeping with Barnabas' ambivalence.

20. Alexis

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +9,381
    Well I meant after the publication of Interview with the Vampire, in 1974, that things changed. Which wasn't that long after dark shadows, just three years actually. Langella's Dracula was in 1979. So it would seem that each incarnation of the vampire was influencing the next.