David Cassidy, 67, dies of organ failure

Discussion in 'Celebrity Scuttlebutt' started by Snarky's Ghost, Nov 18, 2017.

1. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +4,678
    David Cassidy Hospitalized With Organ Failure
    Variety

David Cassidy is in a Florida hospital with organ failure, his publicist JoAnn Geffen confirmed Saturday.

The 67-year old pop idol and “Partridge Family” star has been suffering from dementia, he announced earlier this year. TMZ reported that he is in critical condition and has been in the hospital for three days after being in declining health the past few months.

He performed at the B.B. King Blues Club & Grill in New York in March, talking about his dementia, and said his arthritis made playing guitar an ordeal.

After appearing as Keith Partridge on the hit series “The Partridge Family” from 1970 to 1974, he went on to produce several successful albums and appear on TV shows including “David Cassidy – Man Undercover.” He also made guest appearances on shows including “Fantasy Island,” “The Love Boat” and “Tales of the Unexpected.”

But he struggled with achieving his peak fame early in life, dealing with alcoholism and being arrested several times for DUIs. He filed for bankruptcy in 2015.

Cassidy is part of a large showbiz family that included his father, Tony-winning actor Jack Cassidy, stepmother Shirley Jones, half-brother Shaun Cassidy and daughter, actress Katie Cassidy. His son Beau and half-brothers Ryan and Patrick are also actors.

[​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  2. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +11,929
    It's never what we expect to happen, is it.
    [​IMG]

3. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,678
    I don't know what it's all about
    I got so much to think about

4. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,526
    awh, sorry to hear that, part of my growing up was when he appeared in this project for the UK
    He was a huge star back then

[​IMG]

5. Ms Southworth

Ms Southworth Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,593
    Unfortunaly, David Cassidy's condition worsened after he was hospitalized on Friday! :( And supposedly, he has been put on a respirator (medically-induced) while he awaits an organ transplant. :(

I especially remember David Cassidy from "The Partridge Family" and also his guest star appearance on "CSI" in 2013.

Recently, I saw David Cassidy on the Dr. Phil Show where he talked about living with Demensia (and his life overall)! :clap: It was just wonderful to see him again! :hat:

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you (David) to make it through! :):):) It's much too soon for you to go at 67! :need:I'll keep you in my prayers! :kiss:

6. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,678
    Yeah, he's not going to make it.

7. Ms Southworth

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,593
    What an awful thing to say!!! :frustration:

Honestly, I can't believe you just said that! :(:(:(

8. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,678
    Well, y'know.... it's not really my fault. It's just that all signs point to a sad and imminent end.

9. Barbara Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,526
    David Cassidy was the 1st cassette tape I ever owned as a little girl, proper one, shop bought and not taped off the radio! I played it to death

• Like Like x 1
  10. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +11,929
    I've bought this compilation a few months ago:
    [​IMG]
    It's very nice!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Superstar

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,825
    Sad that he's so ill at what is still a relatively young age.

12. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,324
    This is very sad. The Partridge Family was one of my must-watch shows.

I have that, too (along with a number of Partridge Family albums). It's probably the best single-disc compilation of his work.

13. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,678
    I'm afraid Keith Partridge has now flown to that great pear tree in the sky.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  14. darkshadows38

darkshadows38 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +242
    i saw that he died but i'm not surprised that he died at all, reason being is that i saw he was in a coma and that he wasn't going to last long. honestly i'm impressed he lived as long as he did. it sucks either way that he died cause though i've never been a fan of his show. him i actually like he was damn good on CSI a couple years back too

15. Ms Southworth

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,593
    :rip: R.I.P. David Cassidy :rip: I will never forget you! :hugs:

My sincere condolences to your family and friends! :hat: My heart goes out to you all at this difficult time! :kiss:

16. darkshadows38

darkshadows38 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +242
    his brother or step brother i forget which. created in the 90's one of the best shows ever made. American Gothic. Shaun Cassidy, he produced it, and i think he even wrote some episodes as well. that's a show that wasn't given a good time slot.

17. Barbara Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,526
    Ive just ordered it from Amazon

I used to listen to david Cassidy on cassette whilst reading books on The Bobbsey twins!! It strange the things that come back to you

RIP David Cassidy, a handsome guy, good voice, a sad end but a huge star back in the 70s and I always remember a fan was crushed to death at a concert in UK
    my parents used to quote that to me as the reason i wasnt allowed to go and see "pop stars" for a long time!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,678
  19. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,678
  20. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,678
    George Michael Interviewed David Cassidy in 1985: They Got Too Drunk and Had to Try Again

[​IMG]

David Cassidy became one of the most popular teen idols of the 20th century thanks to his starring role on The Partridge Family, which aired from 1970-1974, and hit songs like, "I Think I Love You." In all, Cassidy recorded ten albums as a member of the The Partridge Family and five solo albums during that period—an enormous amount by today's standards. His concerts sold out in minutes around the world, and fans literally went wild: At one 1973 concert in Australia, the hysteria was such that there were calls for his deportation. More tragically, at a show at Wembley statium in 1974, a 14-year-old girl was trampled in a stampede—and event that deeply affected Cassidy. He quit touring for many years, concentrating on recording.

A decade later, in 1985, he briefly revived his career with the single “The Last Kiss” (from the album Romance), which reached No. 6 on the U.K. charts. He had some help from then hearthrob George Michael, who provided backup vocals.

Then part of the duo Wham!, Michael was by then the more successful pop star, with massive hits like "Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go" and "Careless Whisper." But he had always admired Cassidy, calling him a major influence growing up. Michael talked with Cassidy about the music business and more in a 1985 interview for the British celebrity, gossip and fashion magazine Ritz.

Cassidy died Tuesday at age 67, less than a year after Michael's death last Christmas.

The Ritz conversation took place at a restaurant in 1984, and things got off to an interesting start. According to a note at the top of the article, Cassidy and Michaels drank a little too much and had to try again a week later at Cassidy's home. That would be amusing, if not for Cassidy's well documented battle with alcoholism, which he first spoke about publicly in 2008. He was arrested for driving under the influence in 2010, 2013 and 2014. (Michaels had his own substance abuse problems.) The interview provides a window into Cassidy's post-Partridge Family career, It's also a deeply personal conversation between two pop stars from different generations who grappled with many of the same problems.

You can read the full interview on the official David Cassidy website. In the meantime, a few things we learned about Cassidy:

How he dealt with early wealth: “Most of my friends and people I grew up with didn’t become popstars and famous, and in a way, I felt embarrassed about it and I’ve always played my wealth down,” Cassidy said. “I lived in a very simple environment, I’m not a real flash person. I like to dress up and enjoy myself." But, he added, “in America being 21-years-old and a multi-millionaire that you’d made yourself—forget it. It was a joke. Nobody knew how to relate to it and I didn’t either.” Later in the interview, he added that “I look back on the times that I was in my early and middle 20s and I was a tragically wealthy and unhappy person.”

Not again with The Partridge Family: “It’s important for me this time around that people get a true sense of who I am as opposed to a commercial sense, because I became successful last time from a TV series," Cassidy said. "I have no intentions of doing anything like The Partridge Family ever again." It was difficult to separate himself, he added, from the image of his character, Keith Partridge, who was “this all-American good guy, who doesn’t do anything wrong or use naughty words, and he’s very safe and scrubs his teeth three times a day.”

Being onstage and in New York City are like drugs: Cassidy talked about wanting to “be singing and performing on stage, and having that experience again. It becomes almost like a drug. When you go on tour, night after night, you come to expect it.” Later, discussing London and New York he said that the latter “is such an intense city that it is almost like a drug. Once you get hooked on it as I have been, I need to go back there often to get a fix of it.”

“The Last Kiss” was a high point: After having very little control over his music in the ‘70s, Cassidy relished the chance to be more involved. “In the case of ‘The Last Kiss,’ when I wrote it and when I’d finished it, I felt it was the best record I’d ever written. It’s about something very real and important that actually happened to me.”

He had a passion for horses: Cassidy was drawn to horses “since the time I can remember breathing,” he told Michael. “They’re wild buggers, but I do have a passion for it. I love the racing. If anyone asked me what I really wanted in the world, I would have to say the one thing that I want more than anything else, more than an Oscar or a quadruple platinum album and single, and 15 Grammys, would be to win the Kentucky Derby.”

[​IMG]

This article was first written by Newsweek

• Thanks Thanks x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1