David Paulsen in the DYNASTY universe

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by Michael Yule Torrance, Nov 19, 2018.

1. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,925
    One also has to remember, like Krystle with a series of head injuries, I prophesized Season 9 two years in advance. Such that it always sounds like I'm just lying.

2. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,925
    For those yet to hear my improbable story, during the dregs of S6 and S7, I discussed with a friend alternative plots the show coulda/shoulda/woulda done during this period, as opposed to the muddled mess they were handing us.

A couple of years later, she began reviewing the previous seasons' plotlines, and repeated almost verbatim the made up ones I'd previously suggested. When I told her that she was only recalling the things I'd imagined, and that DYNASTY never actually did those things, she looked at me blankly for a moment, realized it was true, and just quietly look down and shook her head in silent irony: my "stories" for that period of DYNASTY were apparently more memorable, and made more sense, than anything the series actually did.

But, as Diahann Carroll once stated: "What do you remember about DYNASTY -- I mean the plot of DYNASTY...??"

To make it weirder, my friend and I also sneered that because DYNASTY was so creatively perverse and passive-aggressive, "watch it suddenly get good in the end, and then it gets cancelled." (This was, like, 1986).

And to make it even weirder still, and to show how connected I was with PhantomDynasty (or just Paulsen's sensibilities -- it was his period of DALLAS, after all, which compelled me to make a little balsa wood Southfork in 1984 which, still pristine, sits on the top shelf of my study even today) and how "listening to nature" I tried to be, I came up with an ideal prospective "last season" for DYNASTY which I thought would nicely hit all the requisite gothic melodrama clichés: I had Roger Grimes' body found on the property (bricked up in the wall of the mansion instead of buried in a lake -- and both Paulsen and I got our ideas from rich-folks scandal stories we'd both read someplace), I had Sable coming to DYNASTY and that either she or Caress had killed Roger in the darkened mansion kitchen with a butcher knife circa 1964 after he raped one of them which caused her pregnancy (I had no thought of little Fallon being the culprit) and I also had a buried treasure storyline in which the czars' priceless antiquities were buried in a remote cavern of Moldavia which the king shows to Alexis in an attempt to get her to fund another coup to place him back on the throne.

This was also around 1986. Hard to believe? Only when you don't consider how "logical" much of it is when you're trying to wrap up a (shoulda-been-more-gothic) soap and connect it to obvious back story elements and characters who have yet to be properly used.

Nevertheless, I sat there with my jaw on my chest as Season 9 unfolded.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Tony

Tony Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +172
    I think Season 9 divides Dynasty fans more than any other. I like some aspects of it, namely all of Sable's scenes, Alexis' appearances and Fallon's remarkable transformation. I also like the season long mystery who killed Roger Grimes and the Nazi treasure, cleverly connected with Sable's knowledge of art.

But there are too many scenes which just don't sustain interest, and it being a relatively short season of 22 episodes, the uninteresting filler scenes make it an uneven season and not much momentum. Namely Sammy Jo and a priest, Sammy Jo and Jeff, all of Virginia's scenes, the secondary and tertiary characters I already mentioned, and too much Dex. To put him at the centre of so many plots wasn't a good move, as his character should always have been more supporting.

If Linda Evans had stayed I think it would have been a better season, but didn't the ratings drop to 70th after her departure? If you lose the soul of the series, you lose the audience.

Of course the Gold Standard of Dynasty is Season 2, but I still prefer watching seasons 3, 4, 5, 6B and 8 over 9. Though 9 is better than 6A, 7 and 1.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,925
    I think Paulsen lifted Krystle's plate-throwing fugue state from John Forsythe's movie, "...And Justice for All.."

[​IMG]

Madness.... Madness!!
    :frustrated:

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. Michael Yule Torrance

Michael Yule Torrance Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,074
    Good point. Can you think of other seasons from 4-8 that divide fans the same way? I usually see posts from fans regarding these acknowledging that "I know most people hate x but I liked it" (for instance Sarah Curtis, and then we have to find a way to have them committed and pray for them). I think people are united in their praise of 6B only, with very few disliking it. It's only for 9 that there is close to an even split.

:giddy: There is no such thing.

It was a terrible slot. When they moved the show to a later slot in season 8, they had already lost 1/3 of their female audience (which was Dynasty advertisers' target audience. And did you really consider that Krystle in seasons 6-8 acted as the soul of the series?

Well, that is why it is interesting for me to read posts from other fans. For instance, I actually prefer season 1 to all the others.
    Here is my ranking:
    Superb seasons: 1,2 (in that order)
    very good seasons: 9, 3, 6B (in that order)
    Mediocre seasons: 5, 7A, 8 (in that order)
    Awful seasons: 4, 6A (in that order)
    Abysmal: 7B

• Like Like x 1
  6. colbyco

colbyco Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +223
    - For me the bad ratings had to do with the new timeslot, the comedy trend and loosing Linda + reducing Joan. When viewers watched an episode where both leading ladys were missing that could have given them reasons to stay away ... of course Linda´s absence gave Stephanie a lot of place to act ... so if Linda had stayed there wouldn´t have been so many minor roles needed (I think the show never had so many new faces in a season before. So with Linda & Joan + Stephanie + Paulsen + great storystelling on Wednesday nights it could have been the most succesful and best season of the 4 prime time shows. Quality wise it was!

IT was one of the show´s best seasons. I liked how the whole family was involved in a season long storyline. Sable vs Alexis was pure gold - I love every scene they had together!!! For the first time Alexis had a real rival! If the fight of the bitches started one year earlier with David Paulsen aboard (still on Wednesdays night) the press and ratings could have given the show a comeback that ABC wasn´t able to kill it.

I also liked the priest (he was good looking) and made Sammy Jo a good person + showed some problems the rich don´t have.
    I would have prefer to bring Miles back instead of Monica.

Here is my ranking:

Superb seasons: 6B,7A (in that order)
    very good seasons: 9, 6A (in that order)
    good seasons: 3, 5, 2, 4 (in that order)
    Mediocre seasons: 7B, 8 (in that order)

underrated: 1 - I know it has a special quality, but it feels more like a spin-off, something "The Colbys" should have felt. It´s like Dynasty´s version of "Knots Landing" with good writing, deep feelings, three-dimensional characters and some down-to-earth-people

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    • Like Like x 3