1. Musical Secret Santa

It's a Secret!

Click here for more details

Dismiss Notice

DAWSON'S CREEK: 20 years old today!

Discussion in 'Sundry Prime Time Soaps' started by ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989, Jan 21, 2018.

1. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,596
    In the age where today in 2018 we have the latest in a long line of teen dramas: RIVERDALE, however back when all the Riverdale cast were most likely in kindergarten, DAWSONS CREEK started its six year run today, with a free faced Michelle Williams and a pre Tom Cruise Katie Holmes, Joshua Jackson and James VanDer Beek who was any age but 15 at the time.

DAWSONS CREEK pretty much bridged the gap between
    BH 90210 before it and ONE TREE HILL and THE OC in the 2000s though OTH was probably its true successor while THE OC had more in common with BH 90210.

Its been a while since I watched DC I may give it another go

PS: when the hell did 1998 become vintage!?! I still think of 1978 as "only twenty years ago......"

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,820
    It's funny you created this thread. One of the commercial networks here in Oz has been screening it. I believe they've just rolled over to series 2. I caught an episode the other day and I'll admit it holds up quite well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Ms Southworth

Ms Southworth Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,607
    I really liked Dawsons Creek back in the day! :clap: I often dreamt of re-living my teenage years all over again in a community like that one! :)

:rlol: ... ... I agree, where did the time go? :fp: :eyes:

• Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  4. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,596
    I agree @Ms Southworth, DAWSONS CREEK & ONE TREE HILL were my fantasy teen years, especially OTH since I was 14 when it started and 23 when it ended, DC was slightly before my time, but I watched it a few years back (around 2004/05) and your right @Rove it did hold up well even back then.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Marika

Marika Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +41
    For me, Dawson's Creek was hit and miss. Seasons 1 to 3 were solid – yes, I even liked the change of tone in the 1st half of season 3 after Kevin Williamson had left the project. Things slowly fell apart in the 2nd half of season 4. I couldn't stand the character of Drue Valentine, and the Dawson/Gretchen pairing was awful too. Andie had been ruined in season 3 and I was glad when she left early in season 4 (her goodbye episode was one of the best in the show's history, though).

Seasons 5 and 6 had some nice moments, but there were too many filler episodes where nothing happened.
    I really liked the addition of Audrey (which is probably another unpopular opinion) and Dawson was surprisingly tolerable during these seasons.

Jack was okay during the high school years, but I didn't care for him in the later seasons. In the German dub, Jack's voice actor sounded whiny all the time.

I wish they would have done more with Jen's character. It seems like the writers gave up on her pretty early in the show's run. I read that Michelle Williams wanted out at the end of season 3 but the producers wouldn't let her out of her contract.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,596
    I hated Jen's ending :-( she was my favourite character if I'm honest and they just killed her off.

I always shipped Dawson/Jen together, he was better with her from what I can remember.