1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Days of Our Lives Days returning to UK TV

Discussion in 'US Soaps Forum' started by Carrie Fairchild, Dec 15, 2019.

1. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,877
    Medals:
    Days Of Our Lives will be back on UK TV in the new year when it starts airing on Sony Channel.

https://metro.co.uk/2019/12/11/us-soap-days-lives-air-uk-next-year-11704844/

It's an interesting addition to the channel, which currently only airs repeats of classic shows like Hart to Hart and Murder She Wrote. Based on their current schedule, DOOL will be the only first run show on the channel. Also, it's an interesting choice considering the show was never really successful during at least three previous runs on other UK channels - Sky One (90's), Channel Five (early 00's) and Zone Romantica / CBS Drama (mid to late 00's).

• Like Like x 1
  2. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator EXP: 20 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +6,305
    Medals:
    Sony owns a stake in Days, so I can see why they'd re-purpose it wherever they can. They even got sued by Corday Productions (another of the stakeholders) a while back because (according to Corday) Sony was not doing enough to re-purpose the show and thus help its ratings (the suit was mostly shot down).

• Like Like x 1
  3. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Hero EXP: 13 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +10,435
    Medals:
    So will be airing in line with US episodes?

4. Carrie Fairchild

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,877
    Medals:
    No. It's starting with 2017/2018 episodes.

"The daytime drama arrives exclusively on Sony Channel next month, and will pick up from the 53rd season, which is seemingly the perfect place for viewers to dive right in, given that this particular episode sees the beginning of a new storyline — featuring the villainous Vivian Alamain (Robin Strasser), who returns to Salem after new character Stefan O. DiMera (Tyler Christopher) shows up claiming to be her son".

It was pointed out on another forum that it may be messy to pick up at the current US pace, given the recent time jump. I see this as one of the continual problems with trying to get viewers into long running US soaps on TV over this side of the world. When a show has been on air for decades, where do you begin to try and get new viewers hooked? I remember when Y&R began in Ireland, they had an intro that gave an overview of some of what had gone on in the preceding 30 years. It helped to explain the various family dynamics and who was who.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Alexis

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +10,435
    Medals:
    I will probably try and watch this, but I work days so maybe if they air it late night in repeat I could catch it. It would be a treat to watch a US soap on TV again.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
  6. Carrie Fairchild

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,877
    Medals:
    The channel is mostly repeats of what they've already shown earlier in the day or week (Sunday for example has 10 hours of Murder She Wrote episodes that were already shown on weekdays) so I'd be very surprised if it wasn't repeated in a late night slot or even a weekend omnibus.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator EXP: 20 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +6,305
    Medals:
    I'm not a regular viewer (paging @Jason73 ) but I'm pretty sure the Stefan O. Dimera/Vivian Alamain stuff was much more recent than 2017--like, earlier this year?

I recall the late, lamented SoapNet re-aired their soaps several times a week. They would air same-day reruns on prime time and again overnight, with 'marathons' on the weekend. It bothered me, though, that they rarely if ever re-aired classic episodes. Since this channel isn't trying to be "current" they ought to pick two or three different periods of Days and air them at different points in the day. Like, Classic Days from the mid-1980s in the mornings, the most current episodes in prime time, and the wackier, 1990s stuff in overnight slots. It would give viewers a chance to see the many different (IMO, the better) eras of the show.

8. Jason73

Jason73 Admin EXP: 11 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,868
    Medals:

Stefan is introduced in 2018, played by Tyler Christopher, but Louise Sorel is playing Vivian for Stefan's introduction. You are correct that Robin Strasser wasn't playing Vivian until 2019. By then Brandon Barash had taken over the role of Stefan. (And was much better than Christopher, in my opinion.)

2018--not the best of times for Days. Nothing spectacular is popping out to me about that year--it's Will's return and Abby/Gabby split personality stuff that I recall. It seems like it would have made more sense to just start at the time jump, when we are all trying to figure out what's going on. That would put the UK about a month behind the US and give Sony a bit of a buffer between US and UK episodes--similar to how we are two weeks behind on Hollyoaks episodes here on Hulu.

9. Alexis

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +10,435
    Medals:
    @Jason73 I am able to get my hands on full years of Days on DVD. I can get from 1984 on I think. What years would you say are best to go with. I have been thinking of Marlena's Possession around 1995 or 1996. I just have no idea of when the show's peak years were or what would be a good place to start. I am over 300 episodes into Sunset Beach so over half way through the entire series and am looking for another soap to watch when it's finished.

• Like Like x 1
  10. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Mega Star EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,021
    Medals:
    I'm not Jason, but it started airing here with 1993 episodes in 1997 and I got quickly obsessed with it, despite it replacing JR Ewing's Brother aka Knots Landing - the Carly Buried Alive plot is amazing. I wasn't a huge fan of the Possession storyline, but I think it's also one you have to see to believe! But Sami's scheming during this time is great. Basically DAYS during 1993-1998 are my favourite years, but they're not exactly grounded years.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Alexis

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +10,435
    Medals:
    Thanks for the info. I am just not sure if I want to start in the 1990s or go earlier. If there was some really, really great 80s stuff I could be up for that. Though I am a little dubious about the video quality of stuff from the 80s. What I would really love is more 80s B&B and Y&R but that doesn't seem available. Days seems to be the most available soap.

12. Jason73

Jason73 Admin EXP: 11 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,868
    Medals:
    I think it depends on what you're looking for from your experience.

I'm partial to the mid-80s. Mid 80's Days is adventure and "super couple" based, so if you're looking for tortured, star crossed lovers dealing with evil millionaires, psycho ex-wives, kidnapped babies, blindness, deafness and an occasional serial killer among other things, I'd start around 1984 which is when Bo and Hope and my favorites, Kim and Shane started becoming prominent. I watched Days religiously from about 84/85 - 91. I'd love to see all of those years again.

I wasn't quite as faithful a viewer from about 92 on but still tuned in fairly regularly. If you are looking for more over the top plots and something more in line with what you are seeing with your Sunset Beach viewing this would be the time period for you. The years that James Riley was writing the show 92 - 98 aren't my favorite but they are crazy and fun and much better than current Days. I agree with Tommie that those years are worth it for Sami and for the Carly buried alive story alone. I also love Kristin DiMera and she first shows up during this time. I'd start around 93 with this era. 93 is when things really start to kick off with Sami.

I think you'll enjoy either of those eras. Let me know what you end up getting. I'll look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
    • Winner Winner x 1