Dem Primary Debate

Discussion in 'US Politics' started by Frank Under The Mistletoe, Jun 27, 2019.

1. Zable's Eggnog

Zable's Eggnog Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +848
    Because there's no accounting for the number of American voters walking around with blinders on?

2. Zable's Eggnog

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +848
    I'd have loved to have heard more of what went on before Joe Biden made that statement.

3. Frank Under The Mistletoe

Frank Under The Mistletoe Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +975
    Medals:
    Biden was discussing how immigration to the US has slowed, and how there's actually a net migration to Mexico.

He then asks if someone in the crowd understands what he means, and that's when the activist speaks to Biden. The activist's audio is barely audible in the full clip:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Zable's Eggnog

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +848
    Update:

Nov 26th_Prez Trump says he is proceeding with plans to designate Mexican cartels as terror groups.

Nov 27th_Prez Obrador: “Cooperation? Yes. Interventionism? No.”

Why Mexico is worried about Trump's latest move | CNN

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Frank Under The Mistletoe

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +975
    Medals:
    Kamala Harris aide says in resignation letter: 'I've never seen staff treated so poorly'

An aide to Sen. Kamala Harris blasted the treatment of staff on the California Democrat's presidential campaign in a resignation letter this month.

"This is my third presidential campaign and I have never seen an organization treat its staff so poorly," wrote state operations director Kelly Mehlenbacher in the Nov. 11 letter, which was obtained by The New York Times.

"While I still believe that Senator Harris is the strongest candidate to win in the General Election in 2020, I no longer have confidence in our campaign or its leadership," she added.

She wrote that the way staff was treated during the past two weeks was "the final straw in this very difficult decision."

"It is not acceptable to me that we encouraged people to move from Washington, D.C. to Baltimore only to lay them off with no notice, with no plan for the campaign, and without thoughtful consideration of the personal consequences to them or the consequences that their absence would have on the remaining staff," Mehlenbacher's letter said. "It is unacceptable that we would lay off anyone that we hired only weeks earlier. It is unacceptable that with less than 90 days until Iowa we still do not have a real plan to win.

"Our campaign For the People is made up of diverse talent which is being squandered by indecision and a 'lack of leaders who will lead,'" it continued.

Mehlenbacher's resignation becomes effective on Saturday.

Meanwhile, Rep. Marcia Fudge (D-Ohio), who has endorsed Harris, criticized some top aides and called for the firing of campaign manager Juan Rodriguez in an interview with The Times.

“I have told her there needs to be a change,” Fudge said. “The weakness is at the top. And it’s clearly Juan. He needs to take responsibility — that’s where the buck stops.”

The newspaper noted that Harris declined to be interviewed.

Rodriguez said in a statement to the Times that “our team, from the candidate to organizers across the country, are working day in and out to make sure Kamala is the nominee to take on Donald Trump and end the national nightmare that is his presidency.

"Just like every campaign, we have made tough decisions to have the resources we need to place in Iowa and springboard into the rest of the primary calendar,” Rodriguez added.

The Hill has also reached out to the campaign for additional comment.

Harris's campaign has cut staff in New Hampshire and Baltimore in recent weeks, and redeployed others to Iowa. The senator has also recently struggled to gain momentum in the polls.

She is among more than a dozen people running for the 2020 Democratic presidential nomination.

Source: https://thehill.com/homenews/campai...signation-letter-ive-never-seen-staff-treated

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Zable's Eggnog

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +848
    OOPS. I wonder if Cory Booker’s campaign regrets its latest ad strategy...

Booker, saying on television that he’d not seen the ad before this time.

Chris Matthews, noting on air whom he thought was the most knowledgeable person for their age in the race.

7. Zable's Eggnog

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +848
    Quinnipiac poll shows national support for Elizabeth Warren has (apparently?) dropped by half since October.

8. Zable's Eggnog

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +848
    Andrew Yang on Robots, Campaign Slogans & Giving Everyone $1,000 | Jimmy Kimmel Live

9. Frank Under The Mistletoe

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +975
    Medals:
    CNN Puffs Up Mayor Pete w/ Obama Comparison Segment

Dissecting A Non-Answer From Mayor Pete

10. Frank Under The Mistletoe

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +975
    Medals:
    How Bloomberg Is Trying To Buy Legitimacy For 2020

Billionaire Michael Bloomberg: Raising Taxes on Poor People is a “Good Thing.”

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
  11. Frank Under The Mistletoe

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +975
    Medals:
    Bernie Gains Big In Early States; Tops '2nd Choice' For Others

Bernie Sanders Handles Trap Question Like A Boss

12. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +3,671
    Well, so far in the December debate, there are only six who qualified. The field is narrowing down.

13. Frank Under The Mistletoe

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +975
    Medals:
    AOC Schools Pete Buttigieg On Universal Programs

Kamala Goes Neocon To Spite Trump

14. Treeviewer

Treeviewer Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,912
    Medals:
    Even in this modern age of equality women are still far more likely to be referred to by their first name than men are so I find it interesting that Bernie is almost always just "Bernie".

15. Zable's Eggnog

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +848
    Shields and Brooks on impeachment public opinion, shifting 2020 Democratic race | PBS NewsHour | Nov 29th

16. Frank Under The Mistletoe

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +975
    Medals:
    I'll sometimes refer to a person by their full name, by just their first name, or by just their last name. It depends how I feel.

Unlike other candidates, Bernie's name has come to define a movement. Some use it as a pejorative ("Bernie bros,") while others use it in a complimentary fashion ("feel the Bern.")

• Like Like x 1
  17. Frank Under The Mistletoe

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +975
    Medals:
    Chris Mathews Slams Bernie For Fighting “Corruption”

18. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +3,671
    I heard that a lot from Democrats here in NYC in 2016. I must say, there isn't the same enthusiasm in 2020. Maybe because Warren has adopted almost all his policies so she splits the left vote, or maybe because he is 4 years older and recently had a heart attack.

19. Frank Under The Mistletoe

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +975
    Medals:
    Bernie held a rally after his heart attack with over 25,000 people in attendance, making it the single largest campaign event of the primary so far.

The media pushes the narrative that Sanders and Warren support the same policies, yet they're kinder to Warren. The reason for that is they know she is much more flexible than Sanders.

https://www.commondreams.org/views/...bout-elizabeth-warren-shes-not-bernie-sanders

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  20. Zable's Eggnog

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +848
    The US Press is reporting that Kamala Harris has thrown in the towel, quoting an aide who says KH will release a video to formally announce her withdrawal.
    Since she'd already qualified for Dec's debate, I'd been expecting her to hold off on a decision until after. It will be interesting to see if her supporters will now gravitate to just one candidate or more.