Did Abby become more moral?

Discussion in 'Knots Landing' started by Iwannamarrybobbyandcliff, Oct 8, 2016.

1. Iwannamarrybobbyandcliff

Iwannamarrybobbyandcliff Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +23
    It seems as Brian and Olivia grew older and more aware of Abby's sexual exploits, they changed and stopped. She went from one night stands to long term relationships with married men to not sleeping with Charles in her house to no premarital sex with Greg.

2. hatayas

hatayas Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +349
    Looks like it.. or maybe by then, she got her thrills from deceiving people and making money rather then getting them from men
    o_O

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. J. R.'s Piece

J. R.'s Piece Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +872
    Well Abby did have sex with Greg before and during her marriage to Gary. Does that count as premarital?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Toni

Toni Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,860
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    I think Abby never became moral at all. She just wanted revenge against the Mexican drug lords using Lotus Point marina, and of course there was the emotional connection with Olivia´s drug addiction and her relationship with Harold. But aside from that, she kept on her wicked 10 "on an Abby scale".

• Like Like x 1
  5. Natalia Patterson

Natalia Patterson Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +188
    When it comes to Morality. Abby had none. She was pissing me off on season 6. She knew that those babies were still alive. Although, I do agree that she had nothing to do with the kidnapping. However she had knowledge that it was a possibility.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,226
    I think Abby's bedroom exploits in her early years was just Abby using what she had to get what she wanted. She didn't have money or power, but she could use her "womanly wiles" to get both...which she did. Once she had money and power (she would have called it "security"), there was less need for her to resort to seductions, etc. Her overall morality didn't change (that is, she didn't gain or lose any); all that changed was the tools she used to pursue what she wanted.

• Like Like x 4
  7. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,634
    Abby's one night stands suited the stand-alone episode format. When the storylines became more long term, so did her relationships/seductions.

I'm not sure whether it's a "moral" thing or not, but I preferred her devil-may-care "Chick-O-Rama" attitude to parenting to the more conservative approach she adopted later on, even though it fitted in with the character's change in social status.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +10,567
    Her nicest role was the role of the Cool Aunt. She seemed very fond of Sid's kids, and it doesn't happen very often that a soap villain likes another person.
    I've always had a soft spot for those "unusual" friendships, like Alexis and Jeff Colby.

I'm not sure if I would describe one night stands as amoral. But when you're spending funny-sunny afternoons with the neighbour - for everyone to see - well I thought that was quite provocative. And it doesn't even matter if they had sex or not.

• Like Like x 2
  9. ClassyCo

ClassyCo Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +407
    I do recall there being an interview with Donna Mills where she said the writers had written Abby "too nice" for her tastes, which fed her decision to leave in 1989.

10. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,226
    She may have appeared to have gotten more 'moral' (I'd call it "well-behaved") because she had accomplished her overall goal. She slept around, schemed, stole, and lied all over town because she wanted to be rich and powerful....and by season seven, she was both those things. She didn't have to steam-roll her way through everyone's lives any more, though of course she had to pull a few stunts here and there to maintain what she had built up.

I will suggest that if Abby had managed to lose it all, she would have gone right back to her wicked, wicked ways to build it all right back up again. In fact, tearing it all down just to see her build it right back up again might have been just the kind of plotline that might have lured Donna Mills into staying.

• Like Like x 1
  11. ClassyCo

ClassyCo Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +407
    I imagine Donna Mills liked the juicier/steamier stuff that fueled Abby's stories when she was more of a bed-hopper. I could certainly how that could have been used to the producers' advantage to get her to stick around.

12. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,226
    They wagged the prospect of a Val/Gary reunion under the noses of TS and JVA at the end of season seven (that "we deserve each other" scene on the beach) when contracts were up for renewal. As soon as they got the signatures on the contracts, Ben came back and Gary ended up with Jill. Okay, maybe I'm oversimplifying, but it seemed they always knew how to incentivize the actors to renew their contracts with the right carrot on the right stick. Maybe, just maybe Donna really just wanted to branch out into producing films like she claimed she wanted to do (and eventually did), so nothing would have kept her there.

• Like Like x 2