Did Anyone Like Appollonia?

Discussion in 'Falcon Crest' started by Angela Channing, Jun 6, 2019.

1. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Hero

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,361
    Medals:
    The character, not the actress/singer.

Personally, I hated her. I thought everything about her time on Falcon Crest was pretty awful, including Lance always wearing sunglasses and rolling up the sleeves of his jackets when he was with her. However, is there someone that actually liked the character on Falcon Crest?

2. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,865
    Medals:
    Babalonia was one of the most lackluster elements of one of the most lackluster seasons. I didn't hate her but she was just kind of meh. And her storyline went nowhere. She was no Lisa Hartman/Ciji, that's for sure.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 4
  3. Brian Kinney

Brian Kinney Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Apollonia and Lance's sunglasses were a desperate attempt to rival Miami Vice which I guess aired on NBC in the same time-slot. Apollonia felt as outlandish as the alien who welcomed Fallon into the UFO on The Colbys.

• Funny Funny x 3
  4. Jock Og

Jock Og Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    Medals:
    I thought Apollonia was entertaining, during her contribution of 10 episodes. Maybe it is a bit rose tinted. However there you go. Apollonia was a stunner of a woman in most ways and Lance was smitten as any man would be. Needless to say he would be smitten again. With another four seasons after this one (with Morgan Fairchild and also Ken Olin joining the cast) we would see more of his bed hopping, when more 'easy on the eye' ladies land in the valley.

Having been just fresh from doing 'Purple Rain' and singing some solo material the song bird who was Apollonia didn't get everyone's approval. Bing Crosby or Frank Sinatra was more Angela's cup of tea. IMHO Ms. Kotero's input in the wine saga was Mr. Hamner and his team's attempt to appeal to the younger generation. In much the same way as Ken Olin did his bit Apollonia certainly didn't have any enduring impact on life in the Tuscany Valley, after season 5. 'Apples' as Lance called her was a lover and a brief journey into the music industry. I'm glad Apollonia Kotero appeared in FC.

Ken Olin as Father Christopher Rossini should have had more of a bearing, post season 5. After discovering his wealthy family, should he leave the priesthood or not for Melissa and Angela using him as a bargaining tool for Lance to toe the line, Chris could easily have became the good character in place of Cole to compete with Lance as the main person in the future of the business.

Apollonia discusses her FALCON CREST role:

Lance is partying with Apollonia and a dozen others, at the Falcon Crest pool. They are celebrating his recent business deal, while listening to Apollonia singing on a ghetto blaster. Angela interrupts their fun. She switches off the ghetto blaster, without hesitating, (a scene from season 5, 1985 - '86):

Angela: "Lance. Come here!"

Lance: "Yes grandmother."

Angela: "I want these aliens out of here immediately."

Lance: "These aliens are my friends."

Angela: "And it's my house."

Lance: "I live here too."

Angela: "With my permission. Another thing; stay away from that 'Babalonian' character."

Lance: "Her name is Apollonia, a dear friend of mine and a business partner."

Angela: "Monkey business if I know you!"

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +3,204
    Medals:
    Is she any famous? To be honest... her stint on Falcon Crest is the only thing i've ever heard of her .. :lol:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Falcon Crest I

Falcon Crest I Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +736
    Medals:
    I suppose you could refer to her joining the show as stunt casting. She knew Lorenzo Lamas well and they had reasonable chemistry together; although her storyline came across as kinda flat, in my view. However Apollonia was still better than Carly Fixx, Damon Rossini and Sofia Stavros. They were three of the most forgettable characters.

• Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  7. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Hero

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,361
    Medals:
    Interesting interview; I hadn't seen it before. She doesn't exude warmth or enthusiasm in it. I didn't realise she was good friends with Lorenzo before she went on Falcon Crest which might have been another reason why she was hired.

@Jock Og you answered the question in the title of the thread: you are someone who liked the Apollonia character.

I always thought she was an average singer and an average actress and which limited her ability to make her character any more likeable. In contrast, the actress who played Lorraine Prescott was very good and made her character one that you cared about. Had Appollonia fallen from the stairway while trying to see Lance, I wouldn't really have been that bothered.

• Winner Winner x 2
  8. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Champion

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,237
    Medals:
    God that clip of her in the studio recoding vocals via a head mic. I don't know.... Maybe it's as well I cant get past season 3 on DVD.

9. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,652
    Medals:
    I actually found Apollonia quite endearing this watch-around.

She's probably more well-known for working with Prince on Purple Rain than for being in FALCON CREST. And Kanye West has since immortalised her in 'Stronger':

You know how long I've been on ya?
    Since Prince was on Apollonia
    Since O.J. had isotoners
    Don't act like I never told ya

• Funny Funny x 3
  10. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19,211
    Medals:
    There was obviously the "brilliant" idea to inject some cool 80s pop culture into a soap that didn't need it, especially not Falcon Crest.
    With San Francisco as the show's resident city it's kinda sad that this is all they could come up with, artist-wise I'd rank her below Paula Abdul (which I didn't think was possible).
    There was nothing in that story that made me care for her fictional singing career or Lance's support thereof.
    It's not so unbelievable that hot & young Lance would get tired of that old wine business and wanted to do something else (especially if there's a pretty woman involved) but it was just the first of many isolated plots to come, they came and went without any dramatic impact or conflict.
    She certainly wasn't Lori (or one of the Loris).
    If she had to be there for the sake of stunt casting then a one-off guest appearance would have been enough e.g. a performance in The Club. Or maybe as a regular, as long as it wasn't Melissa.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,865
    Medals:
    They could at least have had the decency to kill her off so we could have at least wrung a bit of drama out of this pretty drama free story arc.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19,211
    Medals:
    I agree.

Revenge of the real Appollo
    [​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,644
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    Overstatement.:NI:

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,644
    Medals:
    So everybody thinks that she was hired for her singing and not for showing up in every scene in black lingerie? Oh and Morgan Fairchild didn´t like her either.

[​IMG]

"That is so auto-tune...please somebody bring back "Flamingo Road"...!"​

15. Grant Jennings

Grant Jennings Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +820
    Details, please.

16. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,644
    Medals:
    Reportedly Morgan Fairchild went all red (or green) when she saw that Apollonia was getting most scenes on "Falcon Crest" despite Morgan´s status as "Special Guest Star" ("And...") at the end and recognized fame and previous experience. The producers wanted not only to attract male audiences but also "Miami Vice" viewers with Apo´s casting and plot. Morgan noticed the singing star got more scenes (and publicity) than herself and complained about it publicly.

In the video below she doesn´t mention Apollonia but it´s obvious she is very excited to play Jordan Roberts.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Chris2

Chris2 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +363
    Morgan’s character on FC sucked. She would have been better off returning to Dallas as Jenna Wade. She would have gotten several years of work and prominence over there, instead of playing third fiddle to flavor-of-the-month Babylonia. She has no one to blame but herself.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Arlene Halloran

Arlene Halloran Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +560
    Medals:
    Babylonia was mediocre at best. Some of the songs she performed were cheesy, to put it mildly and Lance leaving the Valley for company on the world tour was never really going to happen.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1