Did anyone not have sympathy for Holly Harwood?

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by lbf522, Dec 30, 2018.

1. lbf522

lbf522 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +159
    The actress did a good job but her character was among the dumbest I had ever seen.

The fact that she inherits her late father's company and that the people who helped her father run Harwood Oil were not around to help her was strange enough but we are too believe that she had never heard of Ewing Oil or JR Ewing especially since they are in the same industry?

Further, she does not check on this person she has just met and asks him to help her run her company. Worst is when he asks her for 25% of her company for his help and she accepts which does not make her the sharpest tool in the shed. I am not condone JR forcing sex upon her but everything that happened with these two was her fault due to her stupidity.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +633
    There was also that she then went to Bobby to ask hm for advice when she wasn't sure if what JR was doing would help her company. At the time, Bobby was in a contest with JR to try to win control of Ewing Oil. Didn't she realize that meant it was in Bobby's best interest to give her bad advice? Why would Bobby give her advice that would help Harwood Oil make money and help JR win control of Ewing Oil?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
  3. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +6,134
    Grown children have oftentimes run their daddies' companies into the ground.

Even JR did.

4. KayLloyd

KayLloyd Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +450
    Yes, it was incredibly stupid of her to ask Bobby for advice, and she selfishly gambled on playing Bobby and J.R. against each other. Bobby gave her honest advice and she paid him back by buying time so J.R. could get her money out of Cuba even though it would likely cause Bobby to lose the battle for Ewing Oil. And she made things worse by setting up Sue Ellen to find her with J.R. I'm glad Bobby called Holly out on her reckless behavior and she deserved every bit of guilt realizing what she had done caused her.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
  5. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,745
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    I have always had a weakness for Holly Harwood and her very talented performer Lois Chiles. Larry Hagman only had better chemistry with Linda. None of the others could compare with Lois: she was a perfect beauty, expressive, modern, gave complexity to her character (unlike some people can think here), was very used by the writers and she never shadowed any other lady of the show. What else could you ask to a guest star on "Dallas"? I wish she had been brought back permanently on Season 6 instead of Elvis´s widow, at least for a while (she was only in 3 episodes). And that little scene with Katherine was pure gold! Imagine them kicking ass in the cliffhanger episode of that season! She would have been more actively aggressive than Afton the tart with a heart...She might even have been involved in the Who Shot Bobby storyline...Oh Soap Gods, why did you make the producers blind after Pam and Bobby´s separation? So many miscastings, so many rehashes, so many recastings! I think she was the first feminist woman in the 80´s TV, not Alexis!!

[​IMG]

-"Slut..."
    -"B!tch..."
    -"What did you say, girls...?" ​

6. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,675
    Well, if Holly was dumb she was still smart enough to cause an awful lot of trouble for JR and Sue Ellen, and maybe Bobby too. So I guess that would make them dumb too. Another way of looking at it is there's a streak of dumbness running through all of Dallas's plotting, which is one of the things that makes it work so well. And I'm kind of a sucker for that sort of dumbness. As for Holly herself, I thought she was great. As she said at the outset, "I'm bright enough to know what I don't know," which is I think is one of most profound things anyone on Dallas ever said.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Mustard

Mustard Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +530
    In her own mind, Holly was so confident in her own seduction techniques that she didn't have to worry about J.R. and Bobby double crossing her. With Bobby, while he was devoted to Pam and wouldn't have a fling with Holly, Holly's methods did work to the extent of keeping her and Bobby on good terms. J.R. is a different matter. No matter how much he finds Holly attractive and enjoys an affair, and especially the chase of her beforehand, he cares about Ewing Oil far more, and he was using Harwood Oil in the interests of his share of Ewing Oil.

8. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,874
    Lois Chiles had just come off Moonraker with Roger Moore so was something of a celebrity at the time. I thought the character worked well enough.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,018
    Is this really fair on the character when we're viewing Dallas as an outsider looking in. Characters are created based on the perception they exist in real life. I could argue Sue Ellen was the dumbest character on Dallas purely because she kept returning to JR, knowing full well his history on not keeping the trouser snake politely tucked away. But this is exactly why I loved the character of Sue Ellen so much. She continually had me asking, "Why Sue Ellen? Why would you return to such an abusive relationship? But this scenario gives me an insight into why such women return or remain in such a relationship when others are pleading with them, not to.

I really liked Holly, not initially because what she did to Sue Ellen was cruel. The actress had great chemistry with Patrick and I thought expanding their relationship would have created a great dynamic, especially if she had ended up at Southfork. Seriously? Who would JR prefer at Southfork? Holly, Pam or Katherine. He had his wicked way with two of those characters. The conversations in the living room before moving onto the dining room would have been interesting.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,137
    The writers gave Holly a dumb hand to play with.

She inherited her daddy's company and instead of getting advice fron the executives that her daddy would have already have had working for him, she went to JR, one of her dad's rivals for help. Instead of appointing a consultant like Nicholas Pierce to advise how to run her company, she gave 25 % of it away to JR to do the job, even though he had taken his own company to the brink of bankruptcy. Credible? Not really but it all made for great drama and one of the most memorable Dallas scenes when Holly arranged for Sue Ellen to catch JR shagging her.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +633
    Yeah, it's fairly close to unanimous here that Holly was dumb. Even the posters who disagree don't call her intelligent or smart - just not dumb. Even more close to unanimous is the idea that even if she wasn't exactly smart, the way she was written made for good drama, as you pointed out. I agree with you that the scene Holly arranged for Sue Ellen to see was one of the most memorable Dallas scenes. It was effective as far as accomplishing the intended result, but there sure was an awful lot of collateral damage.

I don't think appointing someone like Nicholas Pierce to advise her how to run her company would have been enough. He wouldn't have been there enough of the time to tell her what to do. Holly really needed someone in the position she put JR in, just someone more ethical than JR. She should have asked Bobby if he'd be interested in running her company before she asked JR. Since it was an excellent source of extra income to put towards winning control of Ewing Oil, Bobby probably would have taken the offer.

It must be difficult for them to objectively assess their children's competency and overall suitability for the job. Most people probably can't objectively evaluate the abilities of people they love even when they aren't related.

There are other factors involved with grown children running their daddies' companies into the ground. One of the major factors is the timing. Sometimes a business in a field that has a lot of opportunity when the father is founding the company may become a practically obsolete industry by the time their children take over running the company.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
  12. Lastkidpicked

Lastkidpicked Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +534
    This was actually smart of J.R., and I will give Holly a pass on giving up part of her company.
    From her perpective, if J.R. owns 25% of Harwood Oil, then it is in his best interest to make sure it is successful and profitable, because he will reap 25% of the rewards.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1