Did Katherine Wentworth have any redeeming qualities?

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Sarah, Oct 22, 2019.

1. Piggy It's Kermit Outside

Piggy It's Kermit Outside Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Aspiring writer and factual webmaster
    Ratings:
    +5,182
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    [​IMG]

She even had a backstory that covered her sweet childhood!
    Who else can say that?​

• Like Like x 1
  2. Chris2

Chris2 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +489
    Great point about Priscilla Pointer. She made the character seem more substantial than she was.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +1,688
    By "under-written" you mean that not much was revealed about a character's past, right? If that is what it means, couldn't you say that about most TV characters? We don't even know the names of Jock's parents, and disregarding Dallas: The Early Years" which wasn't shown until well after Jock was already dead, we didn't know much about how past in general. We didn't even know the real background of the Barnes-Ewing feud - that Digger actually owned a third of Ewing Oil and sold it. Jock didn't steal his share of it, as Digger had claimed. So isn't "under-writing" standard for Dallas in general?

I thought they wrote it that way on purpose because they wanted us to use our imaginations about the past of characters and questions like: "Why did JR turn out to be the way he did"? We don't know if JR was just born the way he was, or if his parents' favoritism with Bobby being Jock's favorite and Gary being Ellie's favorite was the primary reason he turned out to be the kind of man he became. I think it's more fun to have it that way because it's open to interpretation and only limited by one's imagination.

Did the other prime-time soaps like Dynasty and Knot's Landing reveal a more detailed story of their characters' pasts, or did they also under-write their characters?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  4. Snarky's Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come

Snarky's Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +8,356
    Medals:
    It's not just names and dates of ancestors provided. DALLAS wasn't usually "underwritten" for its core characters -- the writers provided fairly complex psychological motives for their actions so we usually knew exactly why they were doing what they were doing; we understood their internal logic, even if it was nuts.

But with Katherine -- not quite a core character, admittedly, but one with lots of goals and intentions (usually involving homicide) -- we're told precious little about what makes her tick. Except that she hates Cliff, is jealous of Pam, and wants Bobby... I mean, we can guess as to what's driving her, but they never really tell us.

So Katherine was pretty close to a pantomime villainess, but we didn't tend to notice it so much because the show around her at the time was so very tight, and because Miss Brittany played it with such relish.

KNOTS LANDING gave us a thorough portrait of their characters' psyches, as a rule. DYNASTY pretended to but was really so superficially-written during most of its years that, yes, it was dreadfully under-written and (as JfL once pointed out) simultaneously over-written in that the dialogue was often so florid... empty but florid.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +837
    Medals:
    Ummmmm......it’s obvious what is driving Katherine, and I agree with her. Her mother tossed her aside out of guilt and handed Cliff HER father’s company and then he (basically) killed her. Pam then completely ignored both those facts and had everything Katherine would have liked to have had and threw them all away. I agree with Katherine 110 percent!!!!!

6. Snarky's Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come

Snarky's Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +8,356
    Medals:
    And you're glad her victims are dead...?

• Like Like x 1
  7. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +837
    Medals:
    Katherine genuinely liked Cliff and Pam in the beginning and still liked Pam even after Rebecca died, but was kissed (and rightly so) that Pam kept giving Cliff chance after chance....

8. juschill

juschill Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Yes. She was absolutely beautiful!

9. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +1,688
    Do good looks count as a redeeming quality? I can just see her lawyer defending her in court for shooting Bobby and then trying to poison him while he was in the hospital.

Judge: Miss Wentworth, I find your multiple attempts at trying to kill a man just because he doesn't love you to be abhorrent. I'm sentencing you to 40 years in prison.

Defense attorney: Your honor, you can't! Please consider her redeeming qualities!

Judge: Such as?

Defense attorney: Well, uh.....Look how pretty she is!

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. juschill

juschill Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I would have found her not guilty based on her looks alone. I probably would have suggested jailing that idiot Barnes woman instead.

• Funny Funny x 1