EastEnders Did Pat Butcher and Kathy Beale have a link neither of them knew of?

Discussion in 'UK Soaps Forum' started by Cookiescholes, May 19, 2017.

1. Cookiescholes

Cookiescholes Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +33
    So in the metro new EE boss says that Kathy is going to have a story that feeds into the origins of the show.

The story we have for her is absolutely brilliant and it’s all to do with her being Kathy Beale. All of the things we’ve set up – changing her name, renaming the café again – it’s all about diving into the origins of the show.

Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2017/05/18/eastenders-boss-sean-oconnor-drops-big-character-spoilers-in-part-two-of-our-exclusive-interview-6646491/#ixzz4hXZO6FYo

I wonder if both Kathy and Pat were secret lovers of Pete's brother Kenny. But I don't know if the dates would fit from when he got banished to NZ, @James from London will know.

2. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +559
    Kenny was banished from Walford when Kathy was 15 and only returned once for a month in the 80's, so their interactions would've been minimal. I'd be surprised if it had anything to do with Kenny.

What the producer has said is pretty vague. It could mean anything. From what I'm reading into it, they're going to position her as the show's matriarch much like Lou and Pat were before her, hence the mention of her being "Kathy Beale" and diving into the origins of the show.

3. StrangerDynastyTreeNat89

StrangerDynastyTreeNat89 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,094
    Original Member Since:
    22nd June 2010
    It does seem that TPTB are making Kathy into the Beale/Fowler matriarch, which makes sense, she's as no nonsense as Lou was but with the compassion and as non judgemental as pre 2000 Pauline was.

Kenny was banished from Walford in the mid 60s, long before Kathy ever even knew the Beale family, she didn't marry Pete until around 1968/69.

4. James from London

James from London Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,264
    Kathy would have known the Beales nearly all her life, but yes, she would only have been about fourteen when Kenny went to New Zealand.

Kathy Beale: I was born just down the road from Albert Square. [I've lived in Walford] all my life.

Kathy: When I met Pete, all I knew was that I wanted to have his child. Even when he married Pat, I knew I'd get him in the end. I just knew it, don't ask me how. It was all I wanted then.

Kathy: Pete Beale, he was the only bloke I ever fancied, right back from school. He was a couple of years ahead of me. Never been no one else. It weren't no schoolgirl crush I had on Pete.

Pete to Kathy: You were only a kid when [Kenny] was about

5. Cookiescholes

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Is it possible that Kathy and Kenny could have had a fling when Kenny returned to Walford in the 80s @James from London?

6. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +559
    I've seen it mentioned elsewhere that it could be to do with the return of Wilmott Brown, the man who attacked Kathy in the 80's. I haven't been watching the show regularly of late but I have read theories that Wilmott is "The Chairman" involved in the plot with Max to redevelop Walford.

Dragging Kenny back into the picture wouldn't serve any great purpose. There are tenuous links, like the fact that Steven and Lauren would probably know him from their time in New Zealand. But the revelation of an affair would be pretty pointless given that anyone who it would affect like Pete, Lou or Pauline is now dead.

7. Cookiescholes

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Didn't Pete die off screen like Kathy so they could always bring him back?

8. James from London

James from London Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,264
    Well, there was no indication of it on screen ...

Yes, on the day Peter and Lucy were born.