1. Check Out Our Musical Secret Santa

Coming to Soap Chat this Christmas

Click here for more details

Dismiss Notice

Did the COLBYS hurt DYNASTY in S6?

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by Michael Torrance, Jul 31, 2018.

1. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,257
    How odd that people didn't want to follow smug arsehole Jeff to a new series!

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  2. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,717
    The fact that they didn't shows that obviously THE COLBYS team got the spin-off idea all wrong.
    And as @Grant Jennings said...

Except the clone was a weaker copy of an already weakened show, not of once mighty DYNASTY.

DYNASTY having 31 episodes had the same root as ABC wanting to put THE COLBYS on: ABC had no other big hit show. Back in season 3 of DYNASTY, the show did not even air for May Sweeps because they had other programming scheduled for that. But by season 5 (29 episodes) DYNASTY was it. And after a #1 season, they figured let's go for 31. But while they booked the actors for all the episodes, they obviously told writers, directors etc. they didn't have to be mentally present for all of them. :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,529
    Maybe nobody wanted to follow him. They had their fill of him. :lol:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,529
    Imagine if all 31 of those episodes had been chock full of all the fun storylines they could and should have done. :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,433
    Well, they did, but not enough to make it a ratings success that Dallas and Dynasty used to be.
    I was simply explaining the concept of a spin-off.
    Thank you for sharing your pain with us:hugs:

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,738
    But the way DYNASTY introduced the Colby characters was crap. Of course no one followed.

But bring Bast & Huson into the first half of Season 6 of DYNASTY to introduce and flesh out the Colbys in much they way they did in S1 of THE COLBYS itself. That way DYNASTY benefits from the new family, and Alexis' search for the crown of Moldavia and Krystle's (hopefully truncated) captivity might flow a little better.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,717
    I don't know how these stories could have been made better, honestly. In the same way (inexplicable if you ask me) DYNASTY was poised to be the #1 show at the end of the 1983-1984 season, it was poised to slide in the ratings after the end of the 1984-1985 season, based on the absence of Fallon, the Daniel/Nicole/Lady Ashley distractions, the introduction of Rita, and the complete dead-end that was Moldavia after the coup d' etat. Who approved this bible?

Maybe a brilliant showrunner would have made them work, for instance set up alternate Moldavia stories, such as Amanda in Moldavia and Alexis messing up her marriage there, political intrigue that actually got Colbyco into hot water, and maybe playing Rita for much more of a parody than it unintentionally was. All of these again for many, many fewer episodes as you stated. But I still would have preferred someone with a three digit IQ writing the bible for the season.

• Funny Funny x 2