1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did you buy into Blake's white washing?

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by kenneth, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Star EXP: 6 Years

Threads:
    Entrepreneur
    Ratings:
    +7,937
    Which also happens to be the title of chapter 5 of 'Diary of a love slave'

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior EXP: 12 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +9,171
    I am not.... Getting involved.

3. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior EXP: 12 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +9,171
    I am not.... Getting involved.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Zara

Zara Soap Chat Active Member

Threads:
    Like A Sleeping Dog
    Ratings:
    +313
    Blake was a complex man, very "old school" in a lot of ways. The Blake he became wasn't the original idea for the show, but it actually turned out perfect in connection to everything else. The problem was that he met Krystle, which made it impossible to have him behave like a total ass in every episode. The character of Krystle couldn't put up with his demeanor in the long run, so for Blake to be the season one-Blake, Krystle must go, and maybe enter Alexis as his wife (again). But the trouble with that idea, was Blake accused Alexis of being mean, greedy and with a halo of ulterior motives, so he didn't saw himself as a person with a genuine mean streak, like Alexis did and loved about herself. Deep inside Blake wanted to be good and kind, not be a total monster to the world.
    Blake saw himself as the head of the clan, and he wanted them to live clean and wholesome lives, and work hard. A gay lifestyle risked hurt Danny in too many ways for him to blind himself about it.

In season one, he was more of a mafioso than a stable family man with soft love for his family. The power consumed him. The odd thing was he never married after Alexis until Krystle, and with the old BC in mind, that is very strange, as he "needed a wife in his bed", and not many woman would say no to him, his looks and his money. Too bad the show never touched on the subject and had Blake talk about it, maybe when K became ill. (And at the same time, had Blake confess about the regain of his eyesight, something K never knew about, the truth of it all. To illustrate that The Work of Blake Carrington was done.)

One thing Dynasty did excellent, was the closeness of the characters, in spite of all the drama. Dex and Blake (Dex could just as easily have hated him and helped Alexis destroy him to secure her love forever), Krystle and Steven (Steve always defending her when Alexis attacked her, and Steven moving out of the house in season 7, saying to Alexis Danny is confused as to the two people really belonging in the mansion isn't there), Krystle and Dex (the way they formed kind of a relationship throughout the series).
    This felt very good and made the show a story about friendship even when deep personal interest and money were involved. Dex was a great guy, really.
    Blake never hated Alexis, either, and if it weren't for her, Blake acted very civil and kind to her, although with appropriate distance.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Zara

Threads:
    Like A Sleeping Dog
    Ratings:
    +313
    Blake was fine. Not so much horror, actually.

Bold: True. But think of the premise of the two. Unlike other couple, even so called super couples, B&K, with John and Linda, didn't "plan to" be unfaithful (and could more rightfully be passionate in case of reunion), and one of the show's "main theme" slowly became B&K:s marriage. This makes it harder in love scenes, because, different from reality, the two people involved have to talk and say something before getting into it and it must revolve around them/their love/the marriage, after all it's entertainment. Banalities are, sad to say, inevitable. People IRL don't talk and act like that, but then there is no real need for it.

PS: I had to google the word "ubiquitous". :D

6. thomaswak

thomaswak Soap Chat Well-Known Member EXP: 10 Months

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +873
    I was a very very young teen when I first watched Dynasty. And at this age, I never paid attention. To me, it was just Blakes evolution. AT the time, it never felt forced for me.
    When I was around 17 years old, I watched the first and second season again, and then, I was really surprised to see how much Blake was almost the vilain, especially in season 1. It wasn't the Blake Carrington I remembered. I was surely brainwashed by "the perfect couple" image he and Krystle shared for many years. I really didn't remember how much their couple was flawed and not so perfect in early seasons.

But the thing that surprised me the most, is how well written those 2 first seasons were, in comparison with the later ones. The dialogues, the acting, the plots... Everything was superb, and really ahead of its time. Even Joan Collins' acting was not cliché. It wasn't "automatic". It was way more subtle.

But subtlety didn't bring enough viewers I guess. So they went all full cliché and camp. But that's an other story...

Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 3
  7. Gatsbyesque

Gatsbyesque Soap Chat Fan

Threads:
    Comms Manager
    Ratings:
    +452
    Well that’s the thing, Krystle didn’t have to stay with him. They could break up (more believably) and get back together (more believably).

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Gatsbyesque

Gatsbyesque Soap Chat Fan

Threads:
    Comms Manager
    Ratings:
    +452
    I’m not gonna sit here and read as you folks attempt to white wash the whitewashing of Blake Carrington. I’m just not.

*Exits dramatically in season three fashion*

Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 2
  9. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +3,516
    Sadly, the Dynasty crew didn't realise that sometimes a dish just needs a bit of spice to give it that extra nice kick and stopped there. Instead they kept adding that spice until the dish was ruined.

Happy food binging season y'all.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Zara

Threads:
    Like A Sleeping Dog
    Ratings:
    +313
    I agree, Krystle should have brought it up, maybe even several times during the show, when needed to remind Blake of his change. The rape is actually brought up in the Rita-episode. And Alexis' constant reminder of what he did to her, so there is some past left in Blake's timeline.

And doesn't evolving inevitably comes with "whitewashing"? How else is the badness going to be cast out? At some point, there is going to be a "bridge" between the two and something that signals real change, and a series of new, kinder and humans, actions to take place. Without it, Blake is doomed to wander season one in all eternity.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
  11. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Mega Star EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Aspiring writer and factual webmaster
    Ratings:
    +5,473
    Once a rapist (or a homophobic father), always a rapist.

12. Soaplover

Soaplover Soap Chat Active Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +227
    I always bought Krystle's gradual change into a Stepford Wife more than Blake becoming a good guy. She's raped by her husband, gets pregnant than loses the baby due to Alexis.. and because she could never prove 100 percent Alexis intentionally caused the miscarriage.. she had to accept that Alexis would always be around.. and just went numb inside in order to live with it. Shame the brain tumor that caused her coma wasn't really Krystle finally having a nervous breakdown after years of repressing her true self.

The Claudia speech to Krystle at the end of season 6 was probably one of the rare times that the show actually focused on character motivations in the later seasons.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Zara

Threads:
    Like A Sleeping Dog
    Ratings:
    +313
    Obviously, he wasn't homophobic at last. It's not the law to love homosexuality, either, but maybe when it comes that close to you, in your own child, you should at least try to understand it.

Rapist...maybe.
    But this is not a two hour movie where you never have to meet the bad guy again, this is a nine year long story. If you dislike and rule out Blake like that, it be hard to watch.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
  14. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Mega Star EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Aspiring writer and factual webmaster
    Ratings:
    +5,473
    Well, maybe it´s not the law to love homosexuality, but surely it should be to respect it. Do you? Because if it´s the law not to be racist, then it should be to respect it. And it´s not only about your own child, it´s a general matter. Because if Blake had accepted it and then bash his son´s lovers or his neighbor´s son´s lovers, the problem would be even bigger. And yes, I did dislike and rule out Blake and Dynasty always was a show hard to watch to me. I didn´t watch the whole thing until 6 or 7 years ago, but I did. If I hadn´t, I wouldn´t post my opinions here. Oh and happy new dynastic year to all!