Did you notice?

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Rove, Jul 3, 2017.

1. Rove

Rove Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,565
    With winter taking a real bite here in Australia and very little to watch on television I've once again found myself watching Lorimar Dallas. I'm curently watching the season leading up to JR getting shot. Watching this from a mature perspective it's clear episodes are being fattened out. As the popularity of Dallas increased it's true CBS had requested additional episodes from Lorimar Dallas. As this season progresses it appears Dallas had reverted to stand a lone episodes just like they did for the mini series. I also took note how Larry Hagman's weight changed from scene to scene in certain episodes. Patrick's hair length is also noticeable.
    A good example of fattening out this season was when David Jacobs returned to write the epsiode re-introducing us to Gary and Valene and the beginning of Knots Landing.

Have other posters noticed this?

• Like Like x 3
  2. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,109
    Never thought about this, but from my understanding they shot outdoor scenes in actual Dallas for the first few months of a season - I guess that should make it more noticable. Also, obviously, the break between seasons actors would change their hair sometimes after the cliffhangers - especially noticable on women.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,401
    I often noticed changes in the actors appearances/hair but I thought that had more to do with them block filming exterior shots in Dallas for the first load of episodes each season then picking up sometime later to film interior scenes in Hollywood.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,401
    Snap.

5. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,563
    I did read somewhere of extra episodes being ordered toward the end of the season. In fact, the who-shot-jr cliffhanger itself was created out of that necessity. However, I'd be pretty sure that the Gary & Val episode was already in the works as a the springboard for the spin-off show.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,565
    I also read CBS had requested additional episodes as the series became more popular however as I've watched this season with renewed vigour my gut feeling tells me additional scenes were added to fatten out episodes to extend the "Who Shot JR?", cliffhanger season. If that's the case it was very well done.

7. Lastkidpicked

Lastkidpicked Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +364
    And that is the best part of Dallas. The early seasons hold up very well, and the cliffhangers are fun, even when we know what's coming.

8. Presea

Presea Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,453
    I noticed that Larry Hagman had these weird bags under his eyes during the early episodes. But they eventually disappeared. Did he get surgery later on?

9. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,565
    I've also questioned this. A recent reviewing of Lorimar Dallas shows Larry Hagman looking tired, especially in the 5 episode mini series. As the seasons progress he looks refreshed. If he had some work done it wasn't noticeable like some Hollywood actors today.

10. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,565
    That's one thing I've certainly noticed. The story involving Miss Ellie discovering she has a lump in her breast was handled especially well, with particular interest on Sue Ellen, Pam and Lucy and how they each handled it. This was when Dallas was good. Pushing stories that no one else dared to confront.

• Like Like x 3
  11. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,491
    Early DALLAS was very bold and more daring even, than DYNASTY at times, they certainly handled Kit Mainwaring's gay storyline in just one episode much better than DYNASTY did with Steven in eight years.

• Like Like x 4
  12. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,565
    Makes me think the Executives at ABC with their 1950's mindset were horrified when it became apparent a gay character was lurking in their midst. The treatment of Steven had me confused. Was he gay, bi or straight? Perhaps introducing the character as late teens may have worked better. It didn't matter anyway once the distracting mother-from-hell re-appeared.

13. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,491
    I tend to think of Steven as bisexual but more on the gay side of the spectrum, I know its a controversial thought, but a bisexual character in the 1980s was still groundbreaking, as the LGBT Community, as a whole, was still very underrepresented, Britain had gay characters in the 1980s when EastEnders and Brookside came in the air.

14. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,565
    I laugh when America believes it was ground-breaking introducing a character like Steven. I suppose by their standards it was. I shudder to think what they would have thought of Number 96 when it aired here in Australia in 1972. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe they reference Number 96 is when Australia (TV) lost its virginity. That show was ground-breaking!

• Like Like x 1
  15. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,491
    Oh of course, America never really got to grips with LGBT issues until the mid 2000s and even then its still shaky at best even now, I wouldn't call Will & Grace groundbreaking for instance, in fact it now looks very twee and antiquated compared to British and Australian shows of decades gone by.

16. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,565
    Neither would I and it frustrates me when one of the actors pops up on one of America's talk shows and they reference this sitcom as the breakthrough for the LGBT community. I just see the sitcom now as slap-stick comedy.

• Creative Creative x 1
  17. pete lashmar

pete lashmar Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +636
    If you compare Will & Grace to Are You Being Served...? which have nearly a 30 year age gap between them then Will & Grace would lose in groundbreaking terms - but that's comedy vs comedy & shows like Queer As Folk (UK) really show Will & Grace up for what it is, a very bad, muddled up mix of gags slotted into a sitcom. As a gay man I never found W&G even the slightest bit amusing or groundbreaking - hell, Prisoner Cell Block H had more of an impact than W&G.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Via The Void

Via The Void Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +751
    Prisoner Cell Block H had openly gay characters before Will & Grace & before Dallas & Dynasty.

Prisoner may be an Aussie show but it's just as compelling as both Dallas & Dynasty. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. pete lashmar

pete lashmar Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +636
    And continues to be in it's new incarnation as Wentworth, probably my only MUST WATCH series in recent years aside from Doctor Who.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Lastkidpicked

Lastkidpicked Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +364
    Dallas did a great thing with the Kit Mainwaring storyline by making J.R. not even be concerned about him being gay. He was only concerned with the Mainwaring Refinery deal.
    In classic J.R. fashion:

Bobby: Kit Mainwaring is calling off the wedding to Lucy.
    J.R.: No he's not. That boy is going to marry her no matter what.
    Bobby: He's not marrying Lucy, and it's better for her if he doesn't
    J.R. : Don't tell me "no". This refinery deal is just getting started.
    Bobby: What about Lucy? Doesn't her happiness mean anything?
    J.R. Lucy? What does she have to do with it?

BWHAHAHAHAHA!

What does she have to do with this?

I just laugh every time I think of it.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1