1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did you play sports as a kid?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Jason73, May 7, 2017.

1. Jason73

Jason73 Admin EXP: 11 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    Just curious if people here played sports in school or through outside sports entities like Little League and AYSO soccer etc.?

Also, did you enjoy PE classes in school and do you have positive memories of those classes?

I HATED PE classes from elementary through high school and was so relieved when I could finally quit taking them. My parents forced me to do tee-ball for a couple of years and I absolutely hated it, so they finally quit making me do it. Few things feel worse to a shy, awkward, unathletic kid who doesn't want to be there than getting up in front of a bunch of people to try and hit a ball off of a tee and then smacking and knocking over the tee instead of hitting the ball. I'm still traumatized. :D

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  2. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior EXP: 12 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +9,194
    Oh no I just don't seem to have the proper gene for sports. I don't understand the need, nor the want to chase a ball around or to hit one with a stick. It has never appealed to me. I hated PE in Primary School and was always getting stuck in the face with footballs and volleyballs. I cant do it, no proper co-ordination. In Secondary School I would write myself notes to get out of PE. I faked every illness known to man in those notes. Eventually one female PE teacher bitched that maybe I was pregnant since I seemed to be awfully affected by sickness especially in the mornings. I quickly responded that there would be more chance of me being with child than there would be for her. I won that game, she never bothered me again.

PE isn't like other subjects at all. I don't think it should be compulsory or if it has to be there should be some choice in what you do. Not everyone is good at sports like football. Not everyone wants to do that. Maybe if you could choose to run on a treadmill in peace or swim or something.

I felt exactly as you did in PE and when forced to play sports. It was a form of bullying and yes... traumatising.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Jason73

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    Yes, that was me exactly too--and with a brother who was a football (the American type)/baseball/basketball jock and a dad who was a PE teacher--so I felt crap about my complete lack of talent the whole time.

We did have a few choices of the type of PE we took in high school. I took a class called "individual sports" both years I was required to take a PE class in high school. We did things like frisbee (no joke!) and bowling. Even that was unappealing to me, but at least the jocks never took that particular class so it was just me and lots of girls and a bunch of uncoordinated nerds like me.

I wouldn't have minded a health and fitness class, but forcing a cross section of people to play sports with each other seems cruel and unusual.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle EXP: 19 Years

Threads:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +8,981
    I lacked the sports interest gene, too, but when we played ball around the neighborhood, I enjoyed it.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Alexis

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +9,194
    My three brothers were excellent football players too. I have memories of being a goal post but eventually they realised that I was even crap at that.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator EXP: 19 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +5,532
    I guess I can say I was "mediocre" at best during my one year of tee-ball. I could hit the ball okay; I was just never a very fast runner. It did not help that the coach's son was on my team. He was an okay player but his father seemed determined to make him the star of the team. Even in third grade I knew something wasn't kosher in that situation.

Our rural school didn't have amenities like a swimming pool or tennis courts, so PE was mostly team sports like football, kickball, and the like, and they had to be inventive when there was an equipment shortage or weather was bad. I recall several weeks of square dancing (!!) on the basketball courts, for example. We also had a coach who thought we all should be really good at jump-roping, for some reason.

It wasn't until college that I realized the best PE's are requirements to get a degree. For my history BA they required seven PE credits, but they were fun stuff like golf, bowling, volleyball, tennis...even marksmanship and archery. I would have taken horseback riding, but my parents refused to pay the extra fees. :D They failed to understand why a college would require a history major to take PE's, but I think the college knew that they were more social in nature than physical or academic. They were also good pallet-cleansers, since 99% of us had come out of miserable experiences in High School PE.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Ome

Ome Admin

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +19,456
    P.E. was hit and miss with me, I hated gymnastics, football and cross country running, but I did enjoy playing cricket, tennis and swimming. Unlike the States, our sports were never about competitiveness, but more about learning the skill. Every time we played cricket (or most games) the teacher would randomly pick two captains and they would each pick their teams, so each new game was about playing with different teams.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator EXP: 11 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +9,871
    Sports was considered a significant part of the curriculum at my school, which boasted professional athletes among its staff and has produced a number of sporting heroes.

How I loathed sports lessons, which were highly competitive and not for the faint of heart. The Welsh take rugby very seriously and I don't even understand how it's played. The sporty kids all hated me. As did the sporty teachers.

Oh wow. Why couldn't my school have done this?

• Like Like x 3
  9. Mel O'Drama

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +9,871
    This is true for me too. Take out the testosterone and aggression - and give me a choice - and it's a completely different experience.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Ome

Ome Admin

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +19,456
    That made me chuckle :lol:

Not that I'm laughing at your expense...

• Like Like x 2
  11. Mel O'Drama

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +9,871

I hope one day I'll overcome the trauma enough to be able to laugh about it too. :bye:

• Like Like x 2
  12. Ome

Ome Admin

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +19,456
    Searches for 'friendly hug' rating....

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  13. Mel O'Drama

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +9,871
    I miss those little ratings too. But I'll consider myself friendly hugged. :hug:

14. Alexis

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +9,194
    This was me. Though I think the teachers hated me more because I had a quick mouth. And the kids hated me more because I had a big brother at the school as well as a brother a year younger who everyone was a little afraid of.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Alexis

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +9,194
    At Christmas time I was out shopping all day buying gifts and hadn't really had time to eat properly so I called in to a fish and chip shop on the way home and there was a man standing next to me. I couldn't shake the feeling that I knew him from somewhere. He was a short man in a tracksuit and I wrecked my brain to think where I knew him from. It dawned on me that he was one of the sadistic PE teachers that I had in secondary school. He seemed so insignificant and so terribly small, unimportant! I was bigger than him and it made me laugh how he didn't matter at all to me and hadn't for years and years.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Alexis

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +9,194
    I do think that some kids are just programed differently in the way their brain works. Some do excel at physical things and sports and some are drawn more to academic things and the arts. I would have rather taken extra English, Art, History, Geography or Science than waste endless hours not participating at all in a PE class and giving smart ass comments to teachers that hated me.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator EXP: 21 Years Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +6,063
    God no. I hated sport. Well I enjoyed swimming that was it. I still go into a cold sweat at the thought of playing hockey and rounders.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Alexis

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +9,194
    Hurley first thing on a winter morning in a muddy field. Freezing to death and being whacked around the shins, and having shocks from the sticks smashing each other. That happened once... Then I made a Scarlett O'Hara vow.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  19. Jason73

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    That you would head home and make some sports uniforms out of your curtains? :D

• Like Like x 1
  20. Alexis

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +9,194
    That as God is my witness I'll never play Hurley again!

• Like Like x 1