1. Festive Names

Do you want to change your name to something festive ?

Click here for more details

Dismiss Notice

Did You Stop Watching?

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Herofan, Jun 27, 2019.

1. Herofan

Herofan Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +90
    I recall someone mentioning how they stopped watching Dallas at some point. I’m curious, did you stop watching at some point? If so, when and why?

I watched it all the way through, but I haven’t seen anything past the dream season since the original run until now. I’m currently on the range war season. I’ve rewatched up to that four or five times. It certainly brought back memories. Watching these other seasons for the first time is almost like watching new episodes. I remembered general things like the range war and such, but I had forgotten details.

• Like Like x 1
  2. darkshadows38

darkshadows38 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +331
    Medals:
    my dad watched it back during it's original run i've said this many times on here where i'd go to bed as a kid listening to the theme song and knowing he was watching Dallas.

in (2005) i'd say July of that year since i did join that month here on a lark i borrowed the 1st season from a friend and was hooked. i haven't seen the dream season or past it yet, but there's no denying that some of it you will enjoy and some of it you won't. and some of it you will go WTF? and as for rewatching things don't you love that though? after not seeing a show/film or reading a book for so long you can enjoy the all over again just like you did when you first read or watched them? sometimes you enjoy it better the 2nd time around than you did the 1st.

3. Grant Jennings

Grant Jennings Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,007
    I started watching "Dallas" sometime during season two and I got both my parents hooked soon after. We watched together every Friday night (as well as "The Early Years" and the re-broadcast of the original mini-series) right up through the first episode of season ten. The dismissal of season nine as a dream - "none of that happened" - killed it for us. The three of us would gather around the TV Friday nights at 10 to watch "Falcon Crest" but we never watched another episode of "Dallas" together.

I did tune in to watch one of the episodes featuring Barbara Eden, a bit of stunt-casting that I couldn't resist.

4. Santa Swami

Santa Swami Soap Chat Supreme

Message Count:
    Civil Servant
    Ratings:
    +8,609
    Medals:
    I must admit it wouldn't have been hard to stop watching the last couple of seasons with the awful new additions, Granny Beaumont and her tribe, Tommy McKay, Rose McKay, but loyalty kept me through.

Swami

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Miss Texas 1967

Miss Texas 1967 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +816
    I didn't watch until much later than everyone here but nope, I never stopped. I like to see things through to the end. If/when I rewatch I will sometimes pick episodes or scenes that I want to watch and seek those out, but overall if I'm doing a series rewatch I'll rewatch the entire thing from start to finish.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +5,801
    Medals:
    No, never stopped. I'm not sure why as a Dallas fan, you would give up on the series, although I am very diehard. Linda is my absolute favourite and I did find it very hard to watch without her. I feel that is when Dallas changed completely - nothing was ever the same and JR's character went way off the rails.

Having said this, I have only watched the seasons without her when they were originally aired. I have no desire to revisit the likes of cheesy James Beaumont, his snoozefest of a mother or Cally and her paintings ever again.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Jimmy Todd

Jimmy Todd Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +931
    I started watching in season 5 and was a regular until Bobby returned in the shower. Then I watched it sporadically, then just to see the cliffhangers, and after SuevEllen left, not at all. It was a different show. I tuned in for Conundrum which was so bad, imho, I was annoyed more than bored.
    The only one of the soaps I watched until the very end religiously was KL.

8. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +5,801
    Medals:
    You are totally right @Jimmy Todd - it was a different show after Sue Ellen left. That's a fact, it just is.

I think people do overreact about the dream though - it wasn't the worst that could happen - it's not like Bobby landed with aliens.

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. pete lashmar

pete lashmar Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    D.J
    Ratings:
    +923
    I watched it all the way through...to the bitter end. Am currently on my erhh...8th or 28th re-watch and intend to stop at the end of season 8...but I know damn well that I won't.

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. Justine

Justine Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +701
    I didn't watch any episodes after Sue Ellen left - partially because of Linda's exit but also partially because the quality of the show went downhill after the dream season. There were so many departures at once (Pam, Donna, Sue Ellen) that there wasn't much incentive for me to continue. I do, however, plan to watch the later seasons at some point because I'm curious to see what else happened.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Billy Wall

Billy Wall Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +302
    Never stopped watching.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Snarky's Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come

Snarky's Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +8,308
    Medals:
    I never stopped watching --- although I did stop buying (the DVDs) after Season 10.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Via The Void

Via The Void Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,185
    I never stopped watching Dallas. Well, the original Dallas.

I've seen the first two seasons of the TNT Dallas. Never watched the third, I got fed up with it & never watched it after that whole A Ewing Will Die nonsense. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Angela's Mulled Wine

Angela's Mulled Wine World Cup of Soaps Moderator

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +10,946
    Medals:
    I watched it until the very end and never missed an episode during the original broadcast of all the seasons. When it was released on DVD I had no desire to watch pass season 10 when Pam drove her car into a tanker. The show went rapidly downhill after that.

I watch all episodes of the TNT sequel but have absolutely no desire to watch any of that again.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Santa Swami

Santa Swami Soap Chat Supreme

Message Count:
    Civil Servant
    Ratings:
    +8,609
    Medals:
    I still watched all three seasons of TNT Dallas, although as you say it became very far-removed from what Dallas was.

In terms of buying the DVDs, I have the full boxset of the original and all three series of TNT.

Swami

• Like Like x 1
  16. Via The Void

Via The Void Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,185
    I've just done something I'd thought I'd never do!

I bought season three of the TNT Dallas when I was in a bit of a drunken state last week on eBay, it was only about £12!

However, whether I actually watch it will be a different story!

It may just go on the shelf with the rest of the boxsets to make the entire series complete. ;) :)

• Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  17. southfork88

southfork88 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,426
    I watched Dallas until the end and never missed an episode, then converted the 357 episodes, plus movies and TNT nuDallas, as beautiful caps (1200 for each episode) and I periodically enjoy choosing some of them for you. I already know all the stories and the dialogues almost by heart, obviously in Italian (VHS). Often I regard the episodes from DVDs in English (my complete collection) or the episodes stored in the pendrivers. Not everything is to my complete satisfaction, but overall I feel sympathy for every Dallas character and actor, without exception ...

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  18. Mistletoe Stevens

Mistletoe Stevens 'The Lovely Michelle'

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,406
    Medals:
    I watched in all from 1978-2014. I have the DVD's of the all the original seasons, 1-14, plus I have JR Returns and War Of The Ewings on VHS. I have re-watched them all except the TNT series to which I will someday.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  19. pete lashmar

pete lashmar Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    D.J
    Ratings:
    +923
    To be honest, if Dallas ever returned as any kind of continuation I'd scrap the TNT years completely and pretend it never happened.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. darkshadows38

darkshadows38 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +331
    Medals:
    for me when it comes to tv series i try and watch all tv shows i watch until the very end. like i loved under the dome the show for example but the last season was painful to watch it was just oh so bad and it's a wonder why that show was cancelled from that season alone. but i will at some point watch all of Dallas and honestly i have no idea what i will think of it, but no doubt some of it i will like and some of it will hate.