Did You Stop Watching?

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Herofan, Jun 27, 2019.

1. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +839
    Medals:
    After mummy Pam vanished.......

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. connyben

connyben Soap Chat Newbie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I watched until the end, but I must admit the last two seasons were hard to watch. I actually liked season 12 even though the storylines (J.R in Haleyville, etc) were a bit silly, it was still an enjoyable show at times. When Barbara Bel Geddes left it was the biggest disappointment for me, the family feel of the show got lost.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Herofan

Herofan Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +90
    I’m currently on the Haleyville season. As I mentioned in another thread, I think it’s rather interesting at times, but it’s just not the old Dallas. So, you’re saying the last two seasons get even worse? Do the characters just totally lose their way?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Via The Void

Via The Void Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    It turns into the JR & Bobby show & not in a good way, that's all I'm gonna say. :(

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Santa Swami

Santa Swami Soap Chat Supreme

Message Count:
    Civil Servant
    Ratings:
    +8,693
    Medals:
    The new characters they bring in are absolutely woeful.

Swami

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Barbara Belle Of The Ball

Barbara Belle Of The Ball Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +10,006
    Medals:
    as someone waho watched and loved Dallas from the very beginning in 1978, I have to say the final season was watching it out of loyalty only as it bore no resemblance to the show I adored

It was Dallas in name only, no heart, no soul and proof that patrick and larry werent Dallas, it was so much more than that and it was the ensemble cast who made Dallas a success, and it was a mistake to get shot of the core cast.

the rot set in with Victoria leaving, by far the biggest loss to the show - then Linda, Susan, Steve, barbara and bringing in talentless, insipid, Z listers to replace them! April, james, Michelle, Cally et al!

TNT- Dont ever consider it Dallas in any way, shape or form, like final season of original dallas - It was Dallas in name only and I did give up watching it, I couldnt bear it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Jimmy Todd

Jimmy Todd Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +936

I thought the beginning of the dream season was very good. It crashed when Pam left Ewing Oil and the focus was on Angelica and her hat pins. They might as well have had Beatrice Lillie in the role. Now there's a lady who knows how to wield a hat pin!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Santa Swami

Santa Swami Soap Chat Supreme

Message Count:
    Civil Servant
    Ratings:
    +8,693
    Medals:
    Angelica Nero and her goons were just like something out of the Eurovision Song Contest.

Swami

9. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,324
    Medals:
    I wouldn't even say it turned into a JR & Bobby show - it turned into a Larry Hagman and Patrick Duffy hour. There's a difference.

• Agree Agree x 5
  10. Snarky's Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come

Snarky's Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +8,361
    Medals:
    [​IMG]

As I said above, I watched until the end. I also watched the two reunion movies in the '90s, and the TNT nuDALLAS of 2012-2014.

Although I wish most of what happened post-Bobby's shooting never happened... I was convinced back then, during the best two year period the series ever had (1982 to 1984) when DALLAS felt almost biblical, that DALLAS -- of all shows -- couldn't and wouldn't deteriorate the way it actually did.

In fact, DALLAS became almost the ultimate example of TV series deterioration, unfortunately.

But once a Lorimar executive decided in 1984 that Miss Ellie's faces were interchangeable, the Emmy winning-matriarch of the biggest drama series in global television history, then nothing was ever the same, nor could it be. It told us a virus existed somewhere behind the camera. It cast a depressive pall over the otherwise competent 1984-1985 season even before Duffy had made the decision to kill off Bobby and leave the series, as if something great had just been ruined, permanently and unnecessarily.

And that's where the show ended, at least its clarity and momentum: the arrival of a new matriarch which could not work.

From that point on, nothing was ever quite right again on DALLAS, and the fiasco just led to all the subsequent fiascos: the dream explanation, Pam's accident and her retroactive ignoring by the family, the campy wink-at-the-camera tone of the closing seasons, the forced and contrived plots for the reunion movies, the 2012 continuation series which pushed the Ewings aside so the maid's family and the new wife's ex's family could dominate.

Susan Howard once referred to it as "abuse of the audience." And after you kidnap Mama and change her face, and expect the audience to accept it (when you should have known to begin with that they couldn't) no further glaring error is unthinkable or impossible. As a result, abject absurdities became an annual event.

So the year between Bobby's shooting and his death became the series' metaphoric death, a Lance Rubin dirge that accompanies a funeral procession leading up to the burial. The muddled-but-fashionable dream season became, indeed, just a stagnant dream, one that tapped into the pointless, soapy zeitgeist of the mid-'80s. And then the season of Wes Parmalee became a blurry, majestically ghostly expression of DALLAS' ambivalent, mythological history: What's Real and Who's Who at the Oil Baron's Ball or anywhere else...

It's a banshee manifestation, the 1986-87 year. A séance at Southfork.

And it's the last period I can sit through. Everything after that feels like rolling a corpse down a street with a stick.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  11. pete lashmar

pete lashmar Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    D.J
    Ratings:
    +923
    That pretty much sums up exactly how I felt and how I still feel and Susan's quote is absolutely correct in my opinion.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Treeviewer

Treeviewer Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,917
    Medals:
    No, I didn't stop watching. But the Australian network dropped it from prime time shortly after Sue Ellen left and James turned up. They finally brought it back in a late night slot. I still watched but it was a slog getting through those last two seasons.

13. TJames03

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +839
    Medals:
    Howard wasn’t afraid to speak her mind and a woman speaking her mind on the Dallas set was frowned on (which is why VP got into trouble a lot). Every syllable Howard said was correct.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Via The Void

Via The Void Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    My memory of the TNT Dallas got wiped by the Time Lords!

So I honestly don't know why I bought season three of it!

David to Liberator. Teleport please!! :)

liberator.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Herofan

Herofan Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +90
    I thought Clayton’s amnesia storyline was a bit underused. It just seemed like something they threw in to fill space, and then all at once, he’s back to normal. Maybe it makes a difference when one can watch back to back episodes instead of having to wait a week made it seem more real and important.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +9,314
    Medals:
    No but then again I was late to watching Dallas. I only watched the final four seasons of the original broadcast. Still I loved it. Even with those seasons Dallas was my favorite show. It was only later when I watched it in reruns that I realized that the beginning was of course better. :)

• Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +5,804
    Medals:
    It is true love then @Karin Schill - one of the first characters you met was James and you still loved the show. :D

True love. :love5:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  18. TJames03

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +839
    Medals:
    The characters of J.R. and Sue Ellen were just horrific in Sue Ellen’s final years. This was their only dialog:

Sue Ellen: “Where’s John Ross?!”

JR: “Where you’ll never get him!”

Sue Ellen: “You bastard!”

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  19. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,324
    Medals:
    This was actually the same for me - I was born when a popular book title hit, so I only really remember the last few seasons originally.

In hindsight, they're crap. But I can still feel some weird fondness to those last crappy seasons.

• Like Like x 1
  20. stevew

stevew Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +861
    Medals:
    While I kept watching here and there I agree 100%. I remember being up set with casting Donna Reed - just wishing they’d let Miss Ellie be off traveling the world. But by the time of the dream I felt betrayed. It was the only show I just couldn’t miss up until then. I saw Knots Landing when I could - school night and Falcon Crest when I could and watched Dynasty with my grandmother here and there but Dallas was every Friday come hell or high water until that point. I did actually think the finally was fitting. The movies were so so, more for old times shake then very good. The continuation was frustrating because it had so much potential it didn’t live up to - like an 80’s Rolls Royce, looked good but it was really crap.

• Like Like x 1