Different casting scenarios...

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by ClassyCo, Apr 16, 2017.

1. ClassyCo

ClassyCo Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +671
    Since I've been watching The Colbys this week, I've had this one thought racing through my mind?

What if Stephanie Beacham had been cast as Alexis? I don't know exactly what she was doing at the time, or even if she was available, but it's just a thought.

Do any of you have any thoughts on this matter? Any other likable candidates for any other roles on the parent show?

2. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,768
    Medals:
    Interesting question, but I think Stephanie Beacham would've been a bit too young at the time, she was 34 in 1981 and Alexis was supposed to have been 44/45 at the time and Joan Collins was only 48 then.

Sable is younger than Alexis but older than Stephanie Beacham and I always felt Stephanie Beacham was too young to have played Sable but David Paulsen fixed that in season 9 by making Sable the age as Stephanie Beacham and therefore making Miles and Monica younger which worked.

However I feel Stephanie Beacham playing Alexis would be excellent, I love Joan Collins but she's larger than life which hindered Alexis in the chaotic middle years, as she list her subtlety and became larger than life, Beacham would've kept Alexis, subtle, dark, mysterious I think.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +7,557
    Medals:
    Alexis had to have that mysterious slut quality that was Pure Joan Collins -- a woman of cleverness and style and delicious affectation, but not genuine class.

Sable had to be a smarter, stronger, ballsier woman who got by on her manipulative skills and guile and not gall, not the brash vulgarity of a dilettante made good like Alexis.

So Joan had to be Alexis, or she wouldn't have been Alexis. If Stephanie Beacham had played Alexis, then Alexis would have become Sable.

Alexis was a prime example of that Chinatownian maxim that politicians, ugly buildings and whores all become respectable if they last long enough. And that could apply to some degree to Joan, too (not that she was ever as promiscuous as she was assumed to be, nor as promiscuous as Alexis, because I'm quite positive she was not).

Yes, there's script and the writers' original intention, but as Hitchcock once said, "casting is character" and a role -- especially in series TV -- quickly blends with countenance of the actor.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  4. ClassyCo

ClassyCo Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +671
    I didn't know that Beacham was that much younger than Joan Collins. So, with that in mind, I don't think Beacham as Alexis would have worked. I knew Sable was younger than Alexis, but exactly how much younger than was she suppose to have been?
    I guess this makes sense. I've heard that Alexis was "tailor made" for Collins. Many of her fellow cast members and many biographers seem to agree that only she could have played Alexis as written. And it seems that only Beacham could have played Sable as written. However, I must wonder this---if Alexis had been written different, could Collins have done it? Or did the writers do as TV writers almost always do, write to the actor's strengths and that's the character? Had Beacham played Alexis, she would have certainly been a more "gutsy" woman. There's just something about Beacham's somewhat thicker accent that I just love, and that's what made me wonder how she would have been as Alexis. Plus, I would have loved to see her battle it out with Krystle.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,046
    Good Lord. The mere suggestion that anyone other than Joan Collins could play Alexis Carrington could bring about the dropping of M.O.A.B. (Mother Of All Bombs) into this thread....I'm outta here :eck:

• Like Like x 3
  6. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +19,691
    Medals:
    If it couldn't be Joan Collins, then Kate O'Mara.

[​IMG]

I'm sure I would have enjoyed that too!

• Like Like x 4