Disney movies and their source material

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Jason73, Jul 30, 2017.

1. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,667
    Medals:
    I stumbled across this series of blogs this morning while on a google search. (My google search was "why is Disney's The Rescuers so under appreciated." :r&r:) In each blog, the author examines the source material for a Disney movie and then in a follow-up compares the movie to the source material--and reviews the movie and the source material in the process.

I'm finding them kind of fascinating. It's interesting to see how much the movies end up differing from the stories they are based on. So far, I've only read the entires for The Rescuers (of course), The Fox and the Hound, and The Great Mouse Detective.

A snippet of the author's thoughts on the book version of The Fox and the Hound:

It’s an excellent book to give anyone interested in a detailed narrative of the life of a fox, or to how foxes adjust to incoming suburban developments, or in the many many ways foxes can die. I also recommend it to anyone thinking about destroying a wilderness area in order to build bland, cookie cutter houses or strip malls.

Anyways, I know there are a few Disney fans on here and I think you might enjoy digging into these.

http://www.tor.com/tag/disney-read-watch/page/5/

• Like Like x 2
  2. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Mega Star

Message Count:
    Aspiring writer and factual webmaster
    Ratings:
    +5,373
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    Thanks a lot Jason73! It will be one of my summer readings indeed!! :clap:

• Like Like x 2
  3. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,667
    Medals:
    I hope you find them as interesting as I have been. I've read a few more today (Sleeping Beauty and The Black Cauldron) and have learned lots about both the films and the source material. I'm diving into the Winnie the Pooh entries next.

4. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Mega Star

Message Count:
    Aspiring writer and factual webmaster
    Ratings:
    +5,373
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    I started reading the chapters of "Snow White" and I could´t stop. So far I read "Pinocchio", "Bambi" and "Cinderella" and I´m enjoying them to the max!! They make me want to re-watch all the classics in the near future...

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,667
    Medals:
    I haven't done those yet. I think I am doing Robin Hood and 101 Dalmatians tonight.

Me too!

• Like Like x 1