1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do TNT creators get it?

Discussion in 'Dallas TNT' started by Herofan, Mar 8, 2020.

1. Herofan

Herofan Soap Chat Active Member EXP: 1 Year

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +162
    This may have been covered, but with all the weirdness and straying so much from the original series in TNT Dallas, have the writers and producers ever talked about it publicly? Do they get why a lot of fans didn’t care for it, and that they messed up?

2. Miss Texas 1967

Miss Texas 1967 Soap Chat Well-Known Member EXP: 5 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,010
    After a quick Google search I want to say the answer is no, at least nothing that was reported on.

It doesn't look like CC has done anything since Dallas was cancelled either, 1 episode of Blood and Oil and a movie that was announced but the IMDB listing was last updated in 2018... Actually, almost everyone else listed as a producer on the show has had more going on than CC since Dallas ended, so maybe within the industry there were words spoken.

• Informative Informative x 2
  3. Elizabeth Ewins

Elizabeth Ewins Soap Chat Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Very nice! Let CC work in another field! After her butchering Dallas I really don't want her working on television!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Mega Star EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Aspiring writer and factual webmaster
    Ratings:
    +5,862
    [​IMG]

The $ider woman was last seen picking up cotton
    in Cuba. It´s the one with the red scarf, watching
    a telenovela in her cell phone...​

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Justine

Justine Soap Chat Well-Known Member EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +852
    Wow, that's interesting... she really was the force that drove Dallas into the fire. I'm not surprised she worked on Blood & Oil - I haven't seen any episodes but it seems like a blatant attempt to copy Dallas from the trailers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Enthusiast EXP: 12 Years

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +2,349
    I don't know about that, since I haven't seen but one or two episodes of Blood and Oil and I don't remember it vividly enough to say one way or the other. I think if I had thought it was a blatant attempt to copy Dallas, I would remember that much. Of course, even TNT Dallas wasn't a blatant attempt to copy Dallas and that was supposed to be, since it was named Dallas! That's the main criticism of the show - that it wasn't enough like Dallas!

Cidre didn't kn-w enough about Dallas to copy it at least to the extent she was supposed to, which is why she kept making mistakes with the history to it and even get things like the Oil Barons Ball correct; she called it the Cattle Barons Ball. I didn't mind that nearly as much though as how she failed to get the essence of the characters right - she failed to understand what made the original Dallas characters tick - even the ones she was using!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Miss Texas 1967

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,010
    I watched the first episode of Blood and Oil (mostly because Chace Crawford is hot :laughing:), it was boring and I never tuned in for another episode. I didn't find it particularly Dallas like from what I remember, but I also never watched the rest of the show to compare. I remember everyone said Empire was what Dallas should have been, I never watched that either but it lasted 6 seasons and wasn't cancelled, it's been renewed for a final season to end this year (the ratings are super low now, on par with Dallas TNT but it's on a much bigger network so comparatively it's bad?) but it sounds like maybe the comments that indicated Empire had something Dallas didn't were correct.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Kenny Coyote

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +2,349
    I have heard the name Empire but I haven't seen it. Maybe I'll give it a try. I guess they were referring to TNT Dallas when they said Empire was what Dallas should have been, since original Dallas was exactly what it was supposed to be.

You mentioned Empire's ratings being low and it made me think: With all the different cable networks we have now, and streaming too, it would really take a lot for show to get anywhere near to the level of popularity original Dallas had. But it could be done. It might not have quite the market share Dallas got, but the population is higher now, so there is a bigger potential audience now than there ever has been.

The show that got talked about the most over the last few years was Game Of Thrones, but that was an HBO show wasn't it? Most people don't get HBO because you've got to pay extra just for that channel. The average working class person can't afford that. I wasn't interested in Game Of Thrones because it's a fantasy style show - something I would have been interested in when I was 13 years old.

The channels that most people get - the 4 big networks and the big cable channels like USA, TNT, Paramount, AMC, etc - have they had a genuine hit drama series since Breaking Bad? Not that they had an audience nearly as big as Dallas did, but it did get people talking about it, and it was a show made for adults.

I liked Breaking Bad but I hate the influence it had. The streaming sites are full of shows about drug dealers, drug traffickers, drug addicts and none of them draw a decent rating because they don't get it - Breaking Bad wasn't a hit because it was about drug manufacturers, it was a hit because it told a good story!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
  9. Miss Texas 1967

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,010
    They were, Empire started in 2015 and I think people saw potential for modern day success a soap opera ish type drama genre that Dallas missed the mark on. I can't speak for that having never actually watched the show though.

I'm not the right person to analyse the numbers but I think the TV environment now makes it difficult to actually have a show where the impact is far reaching amongst a wide audience. Things like Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones were successful but they're also pretty niche. Dallas was mainstream TV and very much benefited from the fact that you turned the TV on and there weren't 100 other channels competing for your attention and/or streaming platforms letting you choose when and where you watched the episode. It's difficult to compare the social impact of a show like Dallas to a modern show now because TV viewing is more flexible too, so even when you have a dedicated audience watching the episodes, they still aren't locked into watching it on the day and time it first airs and with there being so many options for things to watch it also makes it difficult to really push into everyday life. A lot of things aren't just a matter of catching an episode randomly or needing to know what people at work are talking about anymore because there is so much choice and especially with streaming it's actually tailored to your preferences, so you might miss out on being recommended a show because it doesn't fit in with your previous viewing preferences.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Kenny Coyote

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +2,349
    Yeah, that's a good description. They were relatively successful for the time, but they weren't truly mainstream. I don't know how mainstream a show could get these days because of all the reasons you listed.

I googled how many people watched the Game Of Thrones finale and I had to laugh when I saw the question "Is Game Of Thrones the most watched show ever"?

It apparently had about 20 million viewers which was a record for HBO. That's an impressive number for a premium channel, but in the 80s, for network show 20 million viewers would have been just alright; it wasn't exceptional. Conundrum had an audience of 33 million and that was a finale for a show far, far past its peak of popularity.

We've got a larger populace now too, so 20 million today is a smaller percentage of the population than it was when Dallas aired. Dallas got 90 million viewers for their most watched episode and 360 million worldwide.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle EXP: 19 Years

Threads:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +9,444
    EMPIRE was a smash hit for two or three years. But it was too dark too consistently. And the "low key noble" acts from Le Smollett seemed to signal the end of it.

Anyway, nunuDALLAS will have to have JR's glaring portrait on the wall of the living room.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  12. stevew

stevew Soap Chat TV Fanatic EXP: 8 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,067
    I know there’s a lot of legal issues but the walls of the South Fork living room should have Aaron Southworth, Jock, Miss Ellie and JR clearly displayed in any new version of Dallas.

13. Pamela_E

Pamela_E administrator

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +354
    Well I hope she is working and does well.

I was watching a quiz show and nobody could name more than one female producer.

So she might not have done what you wanted on Dallas but we shouldnt be wishing her badluck.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Winner EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +6,206
    I just finished watching the penultimate episode of Blood and Oil and she's still credited as executive producer.

15. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,822
    This is achievable if the family approve it. When Rogue One was released in 2016 I wondered how the studio managed to use Peter Cushing (who died in 1994) to reprise the role of Grand Moff Tarkin. Lucasfilm sought permission from Peter Cushing's estate.

The same rule could apply to Jim Davis, Barbara Bel Geddes, Larry Hagman, Howard Keel and others depending on the deceased family. I'm not sure regarding the legalities surrounding that horrid paint-by-numbers thing of Jock and Miss Ellie which appeared in TNT Dallas. I'd be interested to know if permission was sought.

You are right though. A continuation of Dallas cannot exclude the characters of Jock, Miss Ellie and JR. If I was a descendant of any of the aforementioned I would be chuffed to see their memory continue. I'd imagine the family of Jim Davis must have been touched not just to see his legacy continue but also his character Jock used in such a profound way to drive the series.

Any continuation of Dallas should not ignore its past...it should embrace it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Rove

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,822
    And Dallas never had to contend with viewers attempting to watch it by other ;) means which also impacts on ratings now.

17. Rove

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,822
    It's rare to hear from writers/producers/showrunners publicly ridiculing their own failure, especially in the TV/Movie industry. Creative people tend to be fragile creatures and don't take criticism very well. However, when viewers - you know, those pesky people meant to enjoy your product - collectively decide your product is a big pile of dog poo those same creative types still don't heed the message and continue to move within their chosen field. How the studios and networks continue to support such failure beggars belief.

My Dallas continuation would not allow anyone from TNT Dallas near my creation...well except those in charge of cinema photography. That was one of the few shining lights.

18. Miss Texas 1967

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,010
    Looking at her IMDB (which appears to have changed format since I last looked at it for some reason) that was what her role turned into on Blood and Oil, she wrote one episode and was EP for the rest. The 2018 credit I mentioned has also been removed and so it appears she hasn't worked in any media capacity since 2015. Unless her people are terrible at submitting her work for IMDB to display?

[​IMG]

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Winner EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +6,206
    Well, IMDb's certainly not infallible. I've been credited for jobs I didn't even do!

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. Miss Texas 1967

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,010
    Lol!

On looking at her work I'm beginning to wonder where she came from to get a job as big as Dallas was before it became what we know it as now. 12 episodes of Cane 7 years earlier put her at the top of the list of potential showrunners? I'd love to see an interview or a documentary about the entire process.

• Agree Agree x 1