1. The World Cup of Soap Operas

Click here for more details
    Dismiss Notice

Do you accept the TNT show?

Discussion in 'Dallas TNT' started by Herofan, Mar 24, 2019.

1. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,260
    I have to say, it was a perfect (s$it)storm. Any continuation was bound to have fanatics of the original pull their hair out saying "that's not my show." I mean, Trekkies do that all the time, and fans of the original circus that was Galactica said that about the serious 2004 show. But faced with a difficult situation any thinking producer would take some pause to see how they could serve their vision and the original's canon. Instead, Cidre decided that "you know what? They think I will mess with their sacred cow? How about I torch it and serve steaks?"

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,220
    Medals:
    Exactly. That's what I've always said about Knots Landing's treatment of Bobby's return. They never mentioned he was back, but they never went out of their way to say he was still dead either. It was simply ignored.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Frank Underwood

Frank Underwood Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +821
    Medals:
    Yes, and I'd say it was for the best too. There was no reason for them to try and make sense of someone else's mess.

When TNT Dallas was still on the air, I remember defenders of the show saying Lucy and Ray's affair was retconned in the original series. Their reasoning? It was never mentioned after Ray found out he was Jock's son. However, that was not an example of a retcon. Yes, they made no mention of the affair afterwards, but they never said that it didn't happen either.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,822
    My understanding is Cynthia had no choice. The condition of producing the continuation was to ignore the reunion movies. This directive I believe came from Warner Bros. themselves. Okay I could accept this. But Cynthia's problem with TNT Dallas was of her own making. There was no need to retcon the Ramos family in Lorimar Dallas. No need to retcon the story of Cliff adopting some random kid. In fact none of this was necessary.

All Cynthia had to do was begin the continuation in 2012. Ignore the reunion movies and just start the Ewing story. Simple. However her own cleverness caught her out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,822
    Interesting because although I've never been a Trekkie I'm thoroughly enjoying the series Star Trek Discovery.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Frank Underwood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +821
    Medals:
    I think you're right. I know her original pilot script included them. John Ross referenced JR faking his death. Honestly, I don't know why Warner Bros. got involved at all. They're also the ones who chose Cidre, which surprised even her. I think it would have made more sense to vet potential show runners and hear their ideas instead of just picking one randomly. Her previous show Cane flopped, so I don't know what it was about her that inspired confidence. Particularly when it came to continuing a giant franchise like Dallas. Strange choice.

Of course, there were many other continuity mistakes she made even if you don't count the reunions. And yes, her insertion of characters into the original Dallas timeline was shoddy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Herofan

Herofan Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +60
    I started this thread saying that i didn’t accept the TNT show. There have been some good explanations here as to why one should accept the TNT show. I suppose my view has been affected by all the super-hero shows and movies, and a few other shows like Star Trek. They are full of alternate universes and changes in the time line. I guess it’s easier for me to dismiss something I don’t care for.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,822
    Whether I enjoyed TNT Dallas or not is relevant. I accept TNT Dallas as part of the ongoing saga of the Ewing family. Why? Because it's there. Just like the decaying Lorimar Dallas and the reunion movies. I just wish I had the money and talent to resurrect a one off series to correct some of the failings of TNT Dallas and give proper closure for the likes of Bobby and Sue Ellen.

But then who is to say my version would be up to the high standards from soapchat members. Some have lofty expectations...and rightly so.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  9. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,536
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    [​IMG]

Cleverness, really? Research from
    the fans has proved otherwise...​

10. Toni

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,536
    Medals:
    #metoo

11. Toni

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,536
    Medals:
    Re this matter, I have eventually reduced the subject to the basics: my enjoyment of every Dallas-based fiction hour. Only the first full 8 years of the original series were non-stop fun and excitement, despite such mistakes as "amnesiac" Sue Ellen returning to JR´s "loving" arms, the miscasting of Donna Reed, and getting rid of family members like Bobby and Lucy (or great secondary characters like Dusty, Katherine or Mickey).

I would have bought the shower scene and dream scenario if done more intelligently and coherently. Even so, I did like some plots from that year, and even more, were fun to watch, which was basic to me. And also importantly, the following year, Paulsen´s swan song, despite the nonsense way to let Pam go, was very close to the classic "Dallas". Which I cannot say of the two following years...But surprise, the last season was decadent and grittier, which fit the decline of the show, and enjoyed almost everything.

About the TVM´s, no matter what, JR would have never made John Ross believe he was dead. It was cruel and out-of-character. Aside from that, it also was fun to watch, more than "War of the Ewings", which looked bigger-budgeted and suspenseful, but only on the outside. It was milking the old Texan cow, but seeing Ray again was good.

I have talked a lot here about my opinion on TNT Dallas. I´ll sum it up to a couple of facts: the beautifully produced Pilot was above average, maybe because its script had to be reworked (remember that Chris´s wedding initially welcomed the likes of a recast Jack, Donna and Jenna?).

That is one of the problems in this case: there might be a lot of people in the infamous writers´ duckpond, but the rest of the show really needed a lot of reworking and continuity check-up. And let´s be honest: they didn´t do their homework, just read all the posts above. And no, Cidrians: eternally selfish bastard JR was not Vito Corleone or someone to pay homage to, or to customize things for. It was Larry who deserved that kind of homages.

Another fact: despite everything, TNT, Warner and Cider House gave us 40 plus hours of Ewing shenanigans. We can take or not the Mexican saga, or any other thing, but it was enjoyable to me, at least up to the "Mama likes" scene. Something that seems "gone with the wind" with the site crash is the fact of how much we enjoyed A LOT of scenes of the last season, and not only our favorite "kitchen" one with Sue Ellen and son.

So, all in all, the whole ride was very enjoyable and nobody can make us re-watch it if we don´t want to. But all of it is there, including that gem of a spin-off that is "Knots Landing" and the valuable but somewhat confusing prequel that was "The Early Years". That´s it.

upload_2019-4-4_12-2-43.jpeg

"Moi, doing an artistic performance to show
    Toni´s condition after posting this thread..."​

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Frank Underwood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +821
    Medals:
    The problem with accepting it as part of the ongoing saga of the Ewing family is reconciling the things the don't make sense. Are the reunions someone's hallucination? Did Cliff really sponsor a kid from Pakistan at the same time he was cheap, broke, and suicidal? And what about his flashy, murderous persona in the new series? Cidre herself knew that didn't make sense, but justified it by saying they "needed a villain" after JR died. Had Lou Rosen really been Bobby's lawyer for "30 years?" Does that mean poor ol' Harve Smithfield no longer exists? John Ross said Sue Ellen "took him" to Europe to keep him from JR. Hmm, does that mean he didn't call JR and say he was choosing to live with Sue Ellen in England? And when exactly did Miss Ellie find the time to go to a mental institution after Jock's death? Seems to me she worked out her grief after she smashed the plates in the kitchen. So much just doesn't add up.

This is why I don't accept TNT Dallas as part of original Dallas's universe. The fact that they're their own separate thing actually makes it easy to do. Same with the reunions if one chooses.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Herofan

Herofan Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +60
    If you are a fan of the original series, even if you haven’t seen it for a while, I’m sure your version would be much better than the TNT version.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,822
    Let's just say my version would be a slow crawl to a cliffhanger worthy of "Who Shot JR?" But could anything top that?

15. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,220
    Medals:
    Regardless of whose idea it was, you've still got to ask why?

16. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,260
    I am actually in favor of the idea. Reunion movies are not as well crafted as the regular series, and even the regular series of Dallas was a hodge podge in its later years. So, any continuation should be free to choose at what point of the timeline they want to take up the story. After all, we are discussing about the soap that erased its own season with a gimmick, right?

17. Toni

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,536
    Medals:
    Not that hard to do at all:
    - The TVM´s might be two hallucinations JR had at the clinic where he committed himself in early Season 13. He came out at the top so it would be believable...
    - The TNT series might be the scripted reality show done at some point by one of the Ewings gone bankrupted (Lucy? Ray? That´s why they just showed their faces up in this...).

• Like Like x 1
  18. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,822
    That's fraught with danger. I'd like an explanation for sure but my assumption is Warner Bros. were embarrassed by the Reunion movies. I wonder how they view TNT Dallas then?

19. Frank Underwood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +821
    Medals:
    Yes they did, and it's considered the biggest mistake they ever made. The dream single handed destroyed the show's credibility, and it's still mocked and ridiculed to this day. Apparently, Cidre and Warner Bros. did not learn the lessons of the past. Retconning a couple of bad reunion movies seems quaint in comparison, but I'm sure just as many diehard fans watched them as they did TNT's Dallas. With JRR as a reference point, and no on-screen acknowledgement that it's no longer canon, the Rebecca Sutter/Pamela Rebecca storyline makes no sense. That storyline, along with Cliff's inexplicable transformation, are the two most notable examples as to why I believe TNT's Dallas takes place in an alternate universe.

Wouldn't the later seasons bother them too then? Yet Cally was at JR's funeral, and the Mckay's were featured in the final season.

The dream is arguably the show's biggest embarrassment, and they did an entire ad campaign with the cast in the shower. It's funny seeing what they embraced and what they didn't.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
  20. Frank Underwood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +821
    Medals:
    In the next continuation, Pam wakes up from the coma she's been in for 35 years, and realizes she was the one Katherine hit with her car. All the while, she had very vivid dreams...

The rest of the series is spent hawking face cream called Pammy's Secret.

• Funny Funny x 1