Do you believe in spiritual mediums?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Karin Schill, Apr 3, 2019.

?

Do you believe some people can communicate with dead people?

1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    55.6%
  3. Maybe

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,732
    Medals:
    Hi Everyone,

I stumbled over a video last night that I watched where a woman was having a conversation with a famous person who is dead.

I have never believed in any type of spiritual mediums and have always believed it was a lot of nonsense.

Yet this woman was convinced that we live different lives with reincarnation and yet she didn't dispell the notion of that there is a heaven and a God. It was like she believed in both.

She also did readings of tarrot cards and other stuff that I've always found weird.

It is the second time I've come across this woman on YouTube and in the first video I watched with her several months ago she was talking to another dead celebrity. What was jarring to me was how different her display of emotions were in the two different conversations with people on the other side. In the first video she seemed to be very calm and happy. She was positively radiant and was looking straight at the camera most of the time.

In the second video that I watched last night she seemed suprised and was so upset by something she found out that she almost started crying and had to shut down the filming. She also had her eyes closed most of the time she was talking.

Having watched this left me with a really odd feeling since it challenged everything that I have always believed. It's made me question if it is possible that some people have a gift where they can communicate with dead people. So I'm wondering what's your opinion on it?

I've made a little poll with this thread and would love some input and discussion.

Take care,
    Best wishes:
    Karin.

2. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,255
    Medals:
    I've interacted with a number of spiritualist mediums on several different levels, but I'd still identify as agnostic.

One thing is certain: the sheer percentage of charlatans posing as mediums makes it difficult not to view the practice as a whole with a healthy degree of scepticism. There's money to be made if one knows how to bluff, perform and apply a little basic psychology. Many well-known and respected mediums have been exposed. Doris Stokes springs to mind.

There's also the other side (if you'll pardon the pun): there are people who are desperate for the hope they're given and will subconsciously make everything they're told fit into their own world. I've known people who've look for symbolism and prophecy fulfilment everywhere after visiting a spiritualist medium. Most of the stuff is very general to say the least.

I have a theory that many fraudulent mediums aren't deliberately or maliciously so. They just have a distorted relationship with instincts that we all have, such as intuition, inner thought processes or an ability to read and judge people we meet, and they mistake it for something greater. Which is understandable since the aforementioned instincts are arguably closer to the spiritual realm than the material.

There's also the possibility that people are - knowingly or otherwise - using ESP or some kind of psychic ability and getting fragments of people's memories of dead loved ones. I think we all have degrees of ESP and psychic ability, which is actually quite different to what mediumship purports to be, and rather less mystical.

I'm open to the idea of true mediumship, but am yet to be 100% convinced by most experiences I've had in the area.

It's kind of comforting to think there may be something in it though.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Hero

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,291
    Medals:
    I think most are charlatans and the rest are either deluded or overly gullible.

Also, most are extra large rather than mediums.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +7,323
    Medals:
    Should we combine the two threads, or are they different?

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Grant Jennings

Grant Jennings Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +802
    Funny you should post this, I was thinking of posting in the "What Has Never Been Done?" thread suggesting a scripted drama feature a psychic in the story but NONE of their predictions come true. I understand that writers use this trope as foreshadowing but I've grown tired of it because I don't believe in psychics.

John Oliver recently devoted a segment to psychics and he ripped them to shreds. You can watch it on Youtube, I highly recommend it.

Psychics always tell people what they want to hear: "your grandmother is at peace", "you father is proud of you". Just once I'd like to see a psychic tell someone "your mother said you've turned out to be a huge disappointment".

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,877
    Never believed in them, never will. I've come across those television shows where 100 odd people are sitting in the studio and some person who believes they can speak with the dead asks? "I'm sensing someone in the audience has recently lost a relation."

Gee. What would be the odds of someone amongst a group of 100 participants has recently lost someone. And why is it most participants gleefully give up information without too much prodding? "My father recently passed." Followed soon thereafter by I can speak with the dead spokesperson with, "I sense you were close with your father." Again, the odds are pretty good on that one.

I'd like a one on one consult. I'd sit there without emotion and arms crossed. Now tell me what you think.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,263
    Medals:
    Yes I really do. There is actually one who lives in my street. She is well known with some celebs too - she is totally blind. Was able to tell my mum things that she could not have possibly known.

I think it's all fine as long as no portals are opened to anything dangerous.

I've actually been on many spiritual weekends to 'haunted' castles and different haunted places in Ireland.

Here's some:

Nomadic, Belfast

[​IMG]

Titanic Drydock and Paint Hall:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I went to Ross' Castle with a team of 'Ghostbusters' - they are known as Irish Mediums and have a registered organisation. My friend slept in the Slasher Room on her own - I slept with my two friends in the Dolly Room, where the presence of a young girl has been located.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Hero

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,291
    Medals:
    Such as Elvis, Billie Holiday and Abraham Lincoln.

• Funny Funny x 4
  9. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,263
    Medals:
    lol Our Jimmy (Nesbitt) and our Liam (Neeson) actually :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,732
    Medals:
    Thank you everyone for your replies and input on this topic. :)
    I still find myself on the fence about this. A part of me believe in it and a part of me is still a little sceptic. I do believe there is such a thing as ghosts however.

Is there already a thread on this topic?
    I must have missed that! :eck:

11. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,267
    See, I have never found the idea comforting. I like how the finality of death makes people focus their passion on the living--if and when they finally get it through their thick heads they will die. As the quote goes, everyone has two lives. The second begins when we realize we only have one.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +7,323
    Medals:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,263
    Medals:
    I'm not overly religious, but I have to believe that something after this world exists. I guess it comes with losing loved ones at an early age - you have to have something to hope for that you will see them again. :oops:

• Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Champion

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,223
    Medals:
    Is her name Sharon? I think she came to my aunts house.