1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do You Consider Dallas To Be Art?

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Kenny Coyote, Sep 10, 2019.

1. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Winner EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +6,244
    I dunno. It's never really occurred to me to admire fictional characters. I don't have to admire someone to be curious about their story. I'm much more likely to empathise with a character than admire them. And even if I don't empathise, I can still be amused, intrigued, excited, etc. by them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +23,242
    Is it überhaupt possible to admire fictional characters? I mean, it's not like a doctor in a hospital soap would win the Nobel prize because he "discovers" a cure for Alzheimer's.

3. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Enthusiast EXP: 12 Years

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +2,364
    Alright, that's honest.

It has occurred to you to like fictional characters.

I like some of the characters too. Of course I like some more than others and there are some I don't like at all. How do I discern between characters I like a lot, characters I like some but not as much, and characters I don't like at all? I discern between them by making value judgements based on the admirable qualities the characters display or fail to display.

• Like Like x 1
  4. James from London

Threads:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +6,244
    Well, it's never occurred to me in an intellectual sense. If I like a story, I get pulled into it and then respond accordingly.

I've never felt the need to discern who I liked and how much I liked them. I'm happy for my allegiances to be in a constant state of flux. And again, making moral judgements about fictional characters feels very alien to me.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Lastkidpicked

Lastkidpicked Soap Chat Addict EXP: 11 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,121

For a lot of us, this has to do with the relateability of a character.

I couldn't imagine myself as Bobby Ewing, born into the Ewing family. But can easily imagine myself as Ray Krebbs, foreman of Southfork Ranch. So while I enjoy watching both Bobby and Ray, I react differently to the characters. When bad things happen to Ray, I feel it more than when bad things happen to Bobby. When good things happen to Ray, I feel it more than when good things happen to Bobby.

This is also why I enjoy seeing Punk Anderson during the series. I knew men like Punk growing up, and I know men like Punk today. I can relate to him.

• Like Like x 2
  6. James from London

Threads:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +6,244
    Generally, I'd say that's my experience too. I've always liked Bobby, but I find him a lot more empathetic in New DALLAS.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Lastkidpicked

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,121
    Great point, James. I'll go over to that side of the boards and look at what you have to say.

And bringing us full circle to the title of this thread, "Do You Consider Dallas to be Art?"

Yes, I do. And I'll use Punk Anderson for example. Look at this picture:

[​IMG]

First, let's look at Punk. His gray hair has been earned. Those wrinkles are worn with pride. Punk is successful, but that success was a hard road.

Now let's look at Mavis. She is no shrinking violet. You know she's a strong woman just by looking at her. And look at her hands. These are strong hands not afraid to get dirty raising a family. Also look at her body language. Right behind Punk, and touching his elbow helping guide him through life.

And look at the background. Just plain wood. When they were coming up, it was Punk and Mavis against the world!

They demonstrated that in this one picture.

Very nice.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  8. Kenny Coyote

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +2,364
    That's very understandable.

Another thing that influences all of our reactions is how well the actor or actress portrays the character. The skill the actor displays in showing the emotion they're feeling affects the emotional impact it has on me. The best can do it with just a look. There's a scene when they've just come back from South America after searching for Jock and JR is standing alone outside looking up at the sky. Without having to say anything, Larry Hagman is able to express all the things JR is feeling.

It took a hell of an actor to make JR get the response the character did from people all over the world. On paper, the character wouldn't have been seen as having nearly the potential it did. Bobby and Pam were originally supposed to be the two most featured characters. Larry Hagman got such a great reaction from the audience in his portrayal of JR that they changed their plans and decided to have JR be the most featured character in the show.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
  9. Kenny Coyote

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +2,364
    Nice post @Lastkidpicked!

"Punk is successful, but that success was a hard road" is a good observation. Look at the size of the rock in that string tie he's wearing. He's made it to the top and he's proud of it. He loves wearing flashy things that draw attention to him. Punk is definitely an extrovert!

10. Lastkidpicked

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,121
    You all know how much I like looking at a picture and putting a Texas perspective on it. Here is another screenshot that shows an artistic touch.

The scene is that J.R. has lost Ewing Oil to Jeremy Wendell. Sly and J.R. are driving home after failing to make a deal and already feeling low. They come across stopped traffic, which is waiting for Weststar Oil as they replace the Ewing Oil signage.

Why do I consider this to be art? Because of the thought that went into staging the scene:

1. Notice that it is not just Ewing Oil on the sign. We also see the Southfork Ranch logo. The writers are showing us that Ewing Oil, Southfork Ranch, and the family, are all in one. The Southfork Logo was a nice touch to drive the point home.

2. The very fact that Sly and J.R. had to wait in stopped traffic while they changed out the sign. There is a deeper meaning behind this. In Texas, a company such as Weststar could say to the county, "We are going to change out a sign and we need you to shut down the road while we do it." And the county, knowing how much money Weststar throws around, would comply and shut down the road for them.

3. Notice that the scene is filmed from the perspective of inside J.R.'s car. In an interesting juxtaposition, J.R. and Sly are in their own little bubble and they are the outsiders in this situation.

And I need @Bill Dilks or @johnmmil10 to confirm this, but while the scene was probably shot in Bakersfield, the truck has the marking of a Texas truck.
    See that rectangular box on the top of the truck? That is a ByCool air conditioning unit that they put on trucks down South because you sit directly over the engine and the cab gets roasting hot!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    • Winner Winner x 3
  11. Taylor Bennett Jr.

Taylor Bennett Jr. Soap Chat Dream Maker EXP: 1 Year

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +3,473
    Great post as always! Do you know when in the season this scene is from? That's usually the answer to the Texas/California question (early episodes are TX, later ones are CA), although I think in the last season at least, they filmed exclusively in California.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Lastkidpicked

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,121
    Thank you for the compliment. I enjoy looking through these screenshots because the scene above is EXACTLY what I see several times a day. This is why I enjoy putting a Texas perspective on things.

That is why I assumed Bakersfield. I've been to that tankfarm, but it was just a few years ago, not back in 1987 when they filmed this. (Season 11, episode 2).

If you'll indulge an old cowboy, I'll tell you a story about why I enjoy going to that tank farm (if it is the one in Bakersfield).

On the way up, you pass two sites that a behind the scenes person will enjoy. First, the Hyundai Kia proving ground. For a behind the scenes guy like myself, I just enjoy watching the prototypes running around before they become actual cars.

[​IMG]

The blankets over the cars, and the camouflage tape are there to hide the actual shapes of the cars, so nobody can see the finished product until they are ready for prime time.

And if that's not cool enough. . .

Mojave Boneyard where they store small planes and large aircraft that have been decommissioned. Very cool to drive by.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Look at what is holding up this jet! Who did that? Ray Krebbs and Mickey Trotter?

That is so cool!

No wonder I'm always late to the tank farm in Bakersfield. I'm like a 12 year old kid again when I make this trip.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Kenny Coyote

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +2,364
    @Lastkidpicked , I can't tell what exactly that is that's holding the jet up. What's it called?

I'm glad you enjoy that trip so much.

14. Lastkidpicked

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,121
    That's what is funny about it! These are just 6"X6" timbers, laid cross ways onto each other. It works fine, but I was surprised because I was expecting to see some highly engineered aluminum trestles or something. Not just wooden timbers!

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +23,242
    The only thing that's missing is a pitchfork.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. stevew

stevew Soap Chat TV Fanatic EXP: 8 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,085
    Well said.

17. Lastkidpicked

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,121
    [​IMG]

Here you go, Willie.

upload_2020-1-24_12-18-18.jpeg

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,836
    Well that would have made for interesting conversation at pre-dinner drinks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. James from London

Threads:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +6,244
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. Lastkidpicked

Threads:
    Ratings: