1. Festive Names

Do you want to change your name to something festive ?

Click here for more details

Dismiss Notice
  2. Support Soapchat.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Soap Chatters. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute, it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert free, so we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards any forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop some of the down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. All contributions are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Dismiss Notice

Do you consider the character of Cliff dead.........

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by TJames03, May 6, 2019.

?

Do you consider Cliff dead now that KK is??

1. Yes.

14 vote(s)
    77.8%
  2. No.

4 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +815
    Medals:
    .........in the Dallas universe now that KK has passed away?

Did Cliff die in the Mexican jail?

2. Mistletoe Stevens

Mistletoe Stevens 'The Lovely Michelle'

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,359
    Medals:
    Yes, in the same way as JR Ewing, Miss Ellie, Punk Anderson, and Carter McKay being dead. I can't imagine anyone playing these characters besides the actors who played them originally. I do have a hard time with the TNT Dallas Cliff and wish his fate was kinder.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +1,644
    I can't imagine anyone else playing Cliff either, so I consider Cliff dead. I didn't like TNT Dallas, but it's something Ken Kercheval chose to participate in and put his time and effort into doing. So out of respect for his work then I guess Cliff did die in prison.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. JR Ewing Fan

JR Ewing Fan Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +192
    I don't even remember. It's had to have been over a decade though.
    No because I don't accept him being in jail.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Justine

Justine Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +701
    Yeah, I do. I can't say for sure why, I suppose because like @Michelle Stevens I can't picture any other actor in the role.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Kenny Coyote

Message Count:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +1,644
    By that do you mean you don't consider TNT Dallas to be a legitimate continuation of the Dallas story?

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Treeviewer

Treeviewer Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,860
    Medals:
    No. I don't consider off screen events to be the final say. Of course, where Dallas is concerned, what happens on screen is not necessarily binding either,

8. TJames03

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +815
    Medals:
    I got some FF in my head showcasing Cliff's mortal exit from the Dallas universe....

9. Kenny Coyote

Message Count:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +1,644
    Off screen events referring to Ken Kercheval passing away? So you'd be open to the idea of a recast? It's an interesting idea. I don't usually like recasts just on the principle of it, but if a recast would lead to another Dallas continuation and this time one that is accurate as to the history of the series regarding both the events that took place from 1978-1991 and accurate as to the characters' personalities. I thought the personalities were simplified a lot in TNT Dallas and in most cases they left out the redeeming qualities and amplified the negative qualities. The character of Cliff was easily the least accurate of all of the them.

They butchered Cliff's personality along with his values and even the events in his history such as saying he adopted Frank from an Asian country. We all know Cliff didn't adopt anyone, just as we all know that John Ross and Christopher didn't grow up with Elena. It wouldn't have been that hard to get the events of the past accurate! The hard thing about a recast is finding someone who the audience would accept as Cliff. I've only seen recasts done well when the character being recast was a minor character or a major character who had just recently debuted so the audience hadn't had much time to get attached to the idea of a certain actor playing that role. For those reasons recasting Kristen worked ( she'd only been a minor character until Mary Crosby was given the role). Recasting Jenna worked because she'd also only been a minor character until they cast Priscilla Presley in the role. Recasting Miss Ellie didn't work because the audience was emotionally attached to seeing Barbara Bel Geddes play the role. The only thing that saved it from being a complete disaster is that it was just a temporary recast of less than one full season since Miss Ellie didn't appear until almost half way through season 8. I've read different things about the intent but I believe that they knew from the start that the Miss Ellie recast was temporary. The way I remember it being reported on Entertainment Tonight was she was just filling in for Barbara Bel Geddes until she was healthy enough to return to the series.

If Barbara Bel Geddes wasn't expected to ever be able to return to acting I doubt they would have recast her. They probably would have had Miss Ellie pass away instead of recasting her. It's just like with Jock, they never considered recasting him. On the series 10 DVDs there is a special features section where they explain that they never considered having Wes Parmalee turn out to be Jock. They said the reason Jock's portrait was always featured so prominently in the show after Jock died is that it was their way of keeping Jock's presence alive as much as it could have been. They talk about how Jocks presence is felt all through the run of the series and they kept him relevant to the show with how much they mentioned him and with the storylines that involved actions of his that had consequences long after he was gone such as the contest for Ewing Oil, the storyline where Cliff and Jamie thought they had found evidence that entitled each of them to a third of Ewing Oil, and the information Donna found where Jock and Sam Culver had both had Sam's relative, Jonas Culver, committed to a sanitarium for just long enough so that they could drill for oil on his land but Jonas didn't know he was getting out soon and he committed suicide as a result of feeling trapped in the asylum.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +5,800
    Medals:
    No, I don't. That's the beauty of TV. And the legacy he left behind. :love5:

• Like Like x 1
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  11. JR Ewing Fan

JR Ewing Fan Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +192
    I don't even remember. It's had to have been over a decade though.
    They ignored the reunion movies so I ignore TNT.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Treeviewer

Treeviewer Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,860
    Medals:
    I'm always open to the idea of a recast - at least in theory. I don't believe the writers should necessarily be beholden to the whims of the cast in telling their story but in practice I admit it can be tricky finding the right replacement.
    It was said at the time that with Jock gone it was necessary to keep Miss Ellie alive because she was the only one left who could keep JR in line.

13. KayLloyd

KayLloyd Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +533
    Yes, I'm a believer that out of respect for the actor, the character should die with them. In my mind, Cliff died trying to find Pam.

Last edited: May 17, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +9,293
    Medals:
    Yes and no.
    Yes in the sense that since Ken Kercheval is gone, Cliff will be dead if there's ever another reunion movie or Dallas revival. :(
    No in the sense that the character lives on in fanfics. :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. TJames03

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +815
    Medals:
    For me, Cliff died in the Mexican prison.