1. Musical Secret Santa

It's a Secret!

Click here for more details

Dismiss Notice

Donna Mills back to General Hospital

Discussion in 'Knots Landing' started by Daniel Avery, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,481
    Per this article in Entertainment Weekly:
    http://ew.com/tv/2018/08/01/general-hospital-donna-mills-returns/

When last we saw Madeline West Reeves (nee Magda Westbourne), she was sent to prison for the murder of her ex son-in-law, Silas Clay.
    upload_2018-8-1_17-39-19.jpeg

She'd previously poisoned her daughter Nina, causing Nina to fall into a two-decade coma; helped recovered-but-insane Nina steal Ava Jerome's baby; and colluded with Nina's new husband in an effort to steal Nina's fortune.

[​IMG]
    Madeline's brief re-appearance will likely tie in to the recent events involving Madeline's sister, GH's uber-villainous Dr. Liesl (Westbourne) Obrecht, who is on the lam for kidnapping and torturing the man who killed Nathan, Liesl's insanely-gorgeous, biological son (who was actually raised by Madeline--long story).
    [​IMG]

Here's hoping the two battling sisters both escape the long arm of the law, because they're just too much fun to be sitting around in prison!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,481
    So on Friday's (8/17) episode of General Hospital, Nina and Maxie went to prison to visit Madeline. Though Nina still has no use for Madeline whatsoever, Maxie is trying to do the right thing by her husband's memory by taking some videos of their son James for Madeline to see. There is a series of scenes where Madeline is repentant over the things she did, and of course videos of her grandson bring her to tears. They reminisce about Nathan and what he was like as a baby, and how baby James looks like his daddy. Madeline expresses regret for all the crap she pulled on Nina, and says she's happy that Nina is married and has a step-daughter. All very well done...but then Madeline works into the conversation how she really would like it if the two ladies would testify on her behalf to help her get out on parole. The ladies realize Madeline is still up to her old tricks and swear never to visit her or have any contact with her again.

Shortly after the ladies clear out, Madeline gets another visitor--Valentin Cassadine, Nina's estranged husband. Nina doesn't know he came to see his manipulative mother-in-law, but we're left to wonder just what he wants from her. It's a toss-up as to which of them is more manipulative, dangerous, and/or destructive. Of course Valentin might want to take heed, since Madeline murdered Nina's first husband, and slept with Nina's second husband. Looks like we will find out on Monday.

3. Jeff

Jeff Soap Chat Newbie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Donna was finally on today! But, I don't understand why they continue to make her character so weak. She is always getting yelled at by everyone and doesn't say anything in return. I'm surprised she is letting them write her character like that. They make a big deal of her coming back and then have her basically cowering while Maxie and Nina take shots at her. I would love to see her go off on both of them! I'm hoping there is more and she can really stick it to them!

Ha, on a side note - the lighting in the prison is awesome! Donna looks younger than her daughter! She looks amazing! :)

4. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,481
    The hair and make-up people did a good job of striking that balance between making her look 'well-kept' but not overdoing it, since she is in prison after all (no day-trips to the Clinique counter). If she had a nice tan and full 'Abby' make-up, people would have been giving her the side-eye. Others online pointed out that if you look closely, you can see she was wearing a wig; I'm guessing they did that to play down her appearance since Mills's hair is usually a lot lighter (shade) and curlier than the rather flat 'do she had in those scenes. Madeline also may have been playing it down in an effort to elicit some sympathy/pity from Maxie and Nina, PC's top fashionistas.

As for the character's behavior, Madeline has always been pretty sad underneath it all. She isn't as devious and intelligent as her sister, Liesl. She always ends up getting caught when she resorts to drastic measures, while we can surmise that Liesl has committed a litany of crimes for which she has not been punished. She just wants some rich man to take care of her, and all the crap she's pulled over the years has been in pursuit of financial security. Underneath it all she knows the stuff Maxie and Nina (especially Nina) said to her has merit. Liesl takes everyone's denunciations and criticisms with a certain amount of glee, as if to say "Yeah, I'm a big ol' bitch, so what?" but Madeline isn't able to own her behavior in a similar way. She's all about keeping up a façade, to make everyone think she's a certain kind of person...and when people point out what she's really like behind that façade, she folds up.

Valentin, unlike most people, won't put up with her trying to fool him into believing she's some poor, put-upon victim. He enters the scene already having her number, so to speak. I think this will mean we see a much different Madeline with him as opposed to Madeline with Nina and Maxie, since he is pretty much immune to her emotional manipulations. So we will likely see tactical, "down to brass tacks" Madeline on Monday, offering Valentin help with winning Nina back in exchange for his help getting her a parole review hearing. This is supposed to be a brief appearance, so she'll likely offer up some kind of truth bomb* and the rest (a possible parole hearing, etc.) will occur off-screen. I'm kind of holding out hope that the Westbourne sisters (Liesl and "Magda") can be reunited to go on the lam together, bickering and scheming into the sunset, if I'll never get to see them on the show full-time.

* "Truth bomb" in this case being yet another of her "revelations of secrets from the past" that have been the hallmark of Madeline's appearances in town (or in jail).

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,481
    Valentin wants info from Madeline regarding the period of time Nina was comatose. Seems the medical records for the first eight months of her time at the coma facility are missing, and Valentin has a theory or two. If Madeline can answer a few questions, he agrees he will get noted Llanview attorney Nora Buchanan to represent Madeline at the parole hearing. His theory is that Nina actually gave birth to the baby while she was in the coma, and Madeline confirms it--she had a private nurse take care of Nina and then "get rid of the baby afterwards". Valentin has a momentary flash of anger, but she clarifies that she didn't have the baby killed--she just "facilitated an adoption". Valentin wants the name of the adoptive parents, etc. but she says he won't get another thing until after she gets paroled. Valentin basically says "never mind," because he has enough information to find the now-adult daughter on his own, and that she ought not count on getting paroled any time soon, since she's right where she deserves to be. I wonder if he already suspects the potential daughter to be the same person 99% of the viewers think it is.

Like I imagined, she was a much different person with Valentin than she had been with Maxie and Nina, but the results were basically the same. The writers bring Madeline in to reveal some long-hidden truth in her family's past, then allow the other, regular characters to react to it and have storylines because of it. I think Donna Mills prefers this sort of "truth bomber" role that allows her to do small but memorable appearances that fit into her busy schedule, and GH is so strapped for cash that they'd never be able to afford her for much longer stints.

• Like Like x 1