Dream scenes in soapland

Discussion in 'UK Soaps Forum' started by emm1978, Dec 27, 2017.

1. emm1978

emm1978 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Following the Emmerdale Christmas day episode, any other dream scenes from soap past spring to mind?

2. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +763
    This scene was something of a departure for EastEnders when it aired in the 90's. Firstly, the scene appeared before the opening credits. I'm not sure if they'd done that before or if they've done it since. It's not something I can recall seeing again. Secondly, they hadn't really dabbled in the whole dream sequence world prior to this. We've seen more recent examples of them playing with reality like Pat appearing to Peggy and Lucy's ghost hovering over the square but a dream sequence in the 90's would've been regarded as a staple of American daytime soaps rather than English primetime fare.

This scene aired at the start of Kathy's departure episode.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Rove

Rove Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,387
    While a staple of American daytime soap operas I've personally never liked the concept. It smacks of laziness on the writers part or they try to be clever by having the audience think what they're watching is part of the story, when it isn't.

Though not quite on par with dream scenes I never liked the explanation scenes which Dallas would use to explain the previous seasons cliffhanger. Take the following;

You'll understand want I'm implying around the 2:48 mark. It was like the writers were going out of there way to explain to the idiot viewer what actually happened. It was unnecessary in my view and in this case weakened the character of Katherine Wentworth...or maybe that was the point of the whole exercise.

4. Englishboy

Englishboy Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +353
    Wasn't there a dream sequence involving bouncer the dog in Neighbours about thirty years ago.

5. Victoriafan3

Victoriafan3 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +863
    Yes the Neighbours one was great. Paul Robinson was the villain dressed in black cape, big black hat and a big twisted moustache. Very panto. It aired, I think, around dec 86 in Oz? I think Kylie/ Charlene was knocked unconsciousness or something and she had this fabulous dream like sequence all in fun fancy dress outfits. It was one of the best episodes I remember of that show. Fun and different :)

6. Victoriafan3

Victoriafan3 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +863
    A dream in Dallas? Surely not. Don’t remember that one. Must’ve fallen asleep ;-)