DYNASTY '69 : Trailer 2

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by Kristin Kringle Channing, Mar 18, 2018.

1. Willie O! Tannenbaum

Willie O! Tannenbaum drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,865
    But TNT and CW were the only ones who wanted to touch it.
    The brand name is only hurt in the eyes of The Fans, and everyone else (a.k.a. Most People) don't really care since they only vaguely remember the 80s prime time soaps. And then usually the worst parts.
    Patrick Duffy (and I tend to believe he knows what he's talking about) has stated that NuDallas was cancelled too soon, and he also explained that if someone else was interested in a continuation or whatever, they'd face a labyrinth of copyrights and expensive company fees - in other words: too risky for such a niche product.
    Like I've said before, it's kinda amazing that it actually happened, considering the complex legacy of these kind of stories.
    It think of DALLAS as Texas and Mexico (not just the ranch), but DYNASTY had a far more international potential, also because its Colorado connection wasn't the show's tour de force (which, btw, shouldn't read as a compliment).
    DYNASTY was the most "Harold Robbins" kind of soap. Apart from the Californian clan, it also has roots in Europe. The "indoor" approach wasn't what the show needed, it's what the creators wanted at that time, basically telling us that we wanted to look inside the house, and consequently, nowhere else. From the creators point of view it was a brilliant move to blame the audience ("you want it, you got it!") for their own lacklustre input.
    Having said that, it didn't hurt the show in its second season because there was indeed a lot going on inside the house (and Alexis' studio) but eventually the show screamed out for other luxurious and exotic areas.
    Granted, they did give us a fake-jungle and a fake-and-far-from-opulent Moldavia, but DYNASTY (the definition of opulent soap) deserved so much better.
    ASPEN would have been a good start, but as far as I recall it only featured in the *cough-cough* "inferior" first season.
    Ironically, it was FALCON CREST who did it (but in script only, I don't think they actually used those locations) and not for the reasons it should have been done: the elusive/underground career of the larger than life Jacqueline Perrault.
    It was DYNASTY who needed characters like Nicole Sauguet, not Falcon Crest.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. Kristin Kringle Channing

Kristin Kringle Channing Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,398
    Thanks Alexis! Lots of work, yes, but it was a labour of love. Very satisfying to see it all coming together.

Actually I'd like to hear peoples thoughts on the story lines and developments in trailer 2 and also I'm curious to know what people's favourite scenes are.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Willie O! Tannenbaum

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,865
    "I'm not a liar like she is. Her whole life is a lie".
    Was that Liz's or Joan's voice?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,931
    Rove is right though that the industry's perception that nuDYNASTY has failed, like nuDALLAS, makes it far more likely that anyone will pass on attempting another reboot.

That was one of Patrick's clever and convincing stories rationalizing stuff, in this case the fact that nuDALLAS, both in ratings and story, failed, crashing dramatically after its June 2012 premiere, due to messed up writing and a host of other problems (even before Larry died) and then nobody else wanted it. Duffy tends to do that -- he doesn't quite shovel it like Esther Shapiro, but shovel it he does. So you've got to start listening to more objective.....parties.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Kristin Kringle Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,398
    That's Liz and that's one of my favourites too.

• Like Like x 2
  6. The holiday Whore

The holiday Whore Soap Chat Superstar

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,759
    This is actually one of my favourite bits. That voice over with young gorgeous Alexis coming towards camera smiling. It's just so evocative, so tangible, real. I also absolutely love a couple other Joan scenes. The bit where she's sat at the piano. I love it because as I remember there is an almost exactly the same clip in Dynasty season 9 with Fallon at the piano. Then the scene with Joan brushing her hair outside in the sun. What film is that from? I need to watch it. Just like in the last trailer Alexis is just stunning here.

I also love Connie and Sable's little exchange. It's so well done, and Frankie looks gorgeous too.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  7. The holiday Whore

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,759
    John Stamos.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Willie O! Tannenbaum

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,865
    I am 100% convinced that the failure (or success) of TNTDallas and CWDynasty has absolutely nothing to do with a possible future Dallas or Dynasty project.
    After all, if another studio/network had wanted to do a NuDynasty then why hasn't it been done before the CW picked it up?
    The interest in these shows is only going to wane (not increase) as time goes by. The idea that someone else is going to create another DYNASTY, say, 5 or 10 years from now is even more unlikely than it is today.
    The CW may not be our first choice, but it's the only NuDynasty we'll get - success or not.
    Again, I don't think anybody else wanted it. just because. period.
    They hadn't exactly been standing in line to revive DALLAS before TNT did it. Same argument as DYNASTY.
    Such as?

9. Willie O! Tannenbaum

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,865
    And since I want to believe Liz (what's her name in this story?) I wonder what other dark secrets Alexis has been hiding. The very idea just makes me drool!

• Like Like x 2
  10. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,931
    I don't disagree with any of that.

11. The holiday Whore

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,759
    Well really the only reason TNT did DALLAS is because they fell under the Warner Bros umbrella. And isn't the only reason DYNASTY wound up on The CW because it falls under the Paramount umbrella. They were basically in house properties that meant that all the profit would revert back to the studio and they wouldn't be sending work out to other production companies, etc.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. The holiday Whore

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,759
    Apparently there had been previous interest in DYNASTY but Shapiro and her production partner (Not her husband) wanted an exorbitant amount of money to licence the rights to production companies. They may have cut off their nose to spite their face there. And then after that nobody was interested except The CW who are really Paramount who own the property anyway along with the Shapiros. This nuDynasty smacks of the last chance to do it. So they did it... the only way they could.

13. The holiday Whore

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,759
    I've got this a little bit wrong. The CW is a merger of CBS Television and The WB which was a Warner network, however they somehow also incorporate properties from the Paramount library. It's all very confusing.

14. Willie O! Tannenbaum

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,865
    So, what does that say about the companies that don't fall under the WB umbrella?

15. The holiday Whore

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,759
    Well... They will likely make original shows and not have to licence properties.

16. The holiday Whore

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,759
    @Richard Channing are you aware of this? Subterfuge from 1968. Joan looks great in this. It's amazing that Alexis seems to be a real person that far back. Sure the cuts of the clothes are different but there she is barging into fancy offices in suits and white fur hats looking devastating. Alexis makes her appearance at 05.57.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Kristin Kringle Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,398
    Both of these are from 'The Executioner' with George Peppard. It's directed by Sam Wannamker and Joan does indeed look gorgeous in it.

I have actually already made a scene for trailer 3 with that exact scene! I'm still not sure whether or not I'll use it as the quality is not great and it might look out of place. She sure does look stunning in that white hat. I had some across this film back when I was doing the opening credits, there was a really bad quality version of it on Vimeo. This version on Youtube was just posted in December and is much better but still not great and the sound isn't very good either. I'll have to see how much I can clean it up.

• Like Like x 3
  18. The holiday Whore

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,759
    I'm watching it now and it's a pretty dreadful film and yes, awful quality but it's just fun to see Joan in something new. In the credits it says she styled herself which I love.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Kristin Kringle Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,398
    Oh, interesting. Now that you say it it kind of makes sense. There's quite a few black and white outfits, including a pretty sexy black leather one. There's also a scene in a train station with a fur coat and fur hat that is very young Alexis.

This is from Quest for love, which I use a fair few scenes from in the first trailer. There was a quite good version on youtube which is now gone. There is an absolutely awful cropped and sped up version on there now which is completely unwatchable.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,924
    Two scenes in the trailer involving Dame Joan tell me there is more much, much to Alexis. The first one is when she is sitting at the piano. The second one is at the end when Joan slowly appears behind the door. In that one moment it captures what a prequel could feel like.

• Like Like x 5