DYNASTY '69 : Trailer 2

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by Richard Channing, Mar 18, 2018.

1. Rove

Rove Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,449
    Odd. I thought that is what really matters here, the fans. I don't care about what production house wishes to tackle a series like Dallas or Dynasty but if low ratings continue to choke a series then someone, somewhere along the chain of command has to scratch their head and ask the important question. "Why aren't people watching?"

• Like Like x 1
  2. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,169
    I agree for both IPs. Will we see another saga about an extended nuclear family like these two? No, because nuclear families are themselves a dinosaur now. Of course both DYNASTY and DALLAS drastically changed the landscape, so that now most all dramas and sitcoms are serialized whereas before no more than a couple were. But for me the family was just backdrop in these soaps. I will leave DALLAS fans to ponder DALLAS possibilities. But whether you take DYNASTY as version 1 (a naive newcomer into a snake pit trying to survive) or version 2 (a scorned ex and exiled mother back for revenge), for me at the core DYNASTY is a strong narrative arc about a female character's journey. REVENGE season 1 came close to that. We may still see another--just don't expect shoulder pads in it.

I think he is as clueless as his on screen avatar. Cidre was ruining it with every single episode. And it was a shame, because unlike Peach DYNASTY, TNT DALLAS had a lot of talent in front of the camera. Just none behind it.

As for the wonderful trailer, I am amazed that no matter how far back you look, Heston looks like a Neanderthal. And darn Michael Parks looks like he should play Miles' real father. Hmm, do I smell a scandal ?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 5
  3. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +4,980
    I think Patrick is as clueless as he wants to be. He's very intelligent but is prone to spinning things commiserate with what he feels the expectations are. He's dropped hints before that he knew what nuDALLAS' flaws were, pointing out that some fans found it a little less "pure" (ie., everything was thrown in including Carmen's kitchen sink containing all her relatives) than they might have liked.

Linda Gray's ex claimed she ranted over how terrible the scripts were.

Duffy has also conceded that they "lost objectivity" during oldDALLAS' closing seasons about what qualified as a good story, and he also admits that the second reunion movie, WAR OF THE EWINGS (1998), was probably the most reviled entry in DALLAS' history despite he and Larry producing it.

So Patrick's not delusional, he's just very cautious about his commentary in keeping with what the organization he's been recently employed by would probably prefer he say.

But back on topic: DYNASTY69, Whheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
    :danc:

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Rove

Rove Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,449
    On that basis Downton Abbey should have been an absolute failure, instead it was an international hit. I must be clueless in this regard because at the center of this story was family. The creative types behind TNT Dallas did not understand this. Dallas was, is, always about the Ewing family, first and foremost. When I watch the original series rarely do you see a scene without a Ewing in it. In the TNT version the secondary characters became the main event, to the point I was watching something else.

For a nighttime soap to succeed you need that nuclear family. It's what drives a series. I have to feel connected to them. Share their story. Experience their highs and lows. Without that connection I switch off.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,018
    Does anyone know if there were any plans to do a DYNASTY - The Early Years, during or shortly after the show's run?
    It probably wouldn't live up to our expectations, especially after watching these fabulous, larger-than-soap trailer versions....

I also noticed that this trailer has a younger Pamela Sue Martin, which makes more sense consider the time frame.:clap:

• Like Like x 3
  6. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,073
    Yes, now that you can rent certain movies on YouTube I was able to get some new footage of PSM that previously was not available.

Incidentally, what age would Fallon have been in 1969?

7. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,018
    Pamela Sue Martin was born in 1953, then she was 27 (!) when DYNASTY started, but I assume she was supposed to be a little bit younger, say...25? That means she could have been 14 (!) in DYNASTY 69.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,980
    Oh, both these trailers are just so addictive! And feel so real -- it's like anticipating some long=awaited STAR WARS prequel/sequel which doesn't suck!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  9. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,169
    I understand many people of older generations (sadly in my 40s I include myself in that) would like that. But I don't think that is the experience of the world we are watching unfold before our eyes on screen and off.
    As for comparing a show set a century ago and making decent numbers (in the US on PBS for instance ) with the international frenzy that was DALLAS and DYNASTY, I think that really is apples and oranges. Of course there will be the occasional show with a family finding some audience--but it won't be a saga keeping whole countries to their TV screens is what I supported.

Yeah, maybe that.
    Per wikipedia:
    The Shapiros announced on January 12, 2011 that they had written a Dynasty prequel feature film script set in the 1960s, and were shopping it to studios for a possible film franchise.[91] In a September 2011 interview, Dynasty actress Joan Collins chatted about a Dynasty television revival: "I've been in constant contact with Esther Shapiro, who wrote it, and apparently they've written a script."[92]

Now, if Joan Collins was going to be in it set in the 60s, I imagine Richard Shapiro would finally get his wish to have DYNASTY in the sci-fi genre.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 2
  10. Toni

Toni Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,110
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Richard Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,073
    Well on the one hand Liz' character is a scheming bitch who will stop at nothing to get her man so it may well be her attempt at character assassination. After all even though Blake has been an asshole I still think it would take some convincing/manipulation to get him to jump into bed with her and cheat on Alexis. Unless perhaps Blake and her already have some kind of irresistible bond/chemistry.

On the other hand, the fact that she and Alexis were out for dinner together makes me think they already know each other (or possibly even related as Snarky suggested) so maybe she's just being factual and knows for a fact that Alexis whole life is a lie. Alexis certainly seemed threatened by her. Either way these two are just getting started so lets see what transpires.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,018
    ^
    OMG!

And was Lizbitch in cahoots with Peter De Vilbis?

[​IMG] :dance:

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  13. Richard Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,073
    Willie!!! Have you been reading the scripts for trailer 3?!? You'll ruin my twists!!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,018
    Yes! I've seduced your secretary in order to get access to your carefully hidden Trailer 3!

(and now he told me he's pregnant but I'm not sure if he should believe him. People can be so deceitful!)

• Funny Funny x 6
  15. Richard Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,073
    Here's a sneak peek at one of the opening scenes from Trailer 3.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 5
  16. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,018
    Register or to view Spoiler content!

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  17. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,155
    I think It's mine. @Richard Channing has just slayed me again.

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,018
    Register or to view Spoiler content!

• Like Like x 2
  19. Richard Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,073
    Er....no.

Yes

Watching Trailer 2 again might help.

20. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,980
    • Like Like x 1

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 8)