Dynasty cancelled in '19?

Discussion in 'Dynasty 2017' started by TJames03, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Willie O! Tannenbaum

Willie O! Tannenbaum drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,863
    A good story is a good story, but Dynasty is old-fashioned and Downton Abbey (ironically) isn't.
    Heck, Dynasty (with its flair for oldskool Hollywood glamour) was old-fashioned in the eighties - and I assume most fans like it that way.
    Season 1 could have been based on a novel from the 60s or 70s, and I believe that's what gave it such grandeur.
    Miami Vice was a modern 80s show, but Dynasty? No I don't think so.

Downton Abbey is a "modern" period drama, and most people under the age of 30 (or 40) would definitely struggle to watch Upstairs Downstairs or the Forsythe Saga.

I understand that this a generalization and I'm sure there are many people (including young'uns) who love the classic tv shows, but overall I think that modern television has created a demand for slickness that cannot be reversed.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
  2. Michael Yule Torrance

Michael Yule Torrance Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,081
    The slickness has to do with production values, and that is something for which posters have praised peach Dynasty. But while later-seasons DYNASTY actually wrote the book on choosing style over substance, early on it was substance first, story and character first, and in that area I don't find newer shows improved, but rather lobotomized. To mention a successful drama of many decades, Grey's Anatomy, the characters and the patients pour out their whole life story to complete strangers and do so in convenient intervals between commercial breaks. In other shows, such as Riverdale or Scandal, for instance, the plot twists happen at breakneck pace that would make even DYNASTY and the Rita storyline the epitome of verisimilitude. You mentioned Miami Vice, but that was also chewing-gum taste focusing on the songs and the apparel of the two male leads--quite DYNASTY for men if you ask me. I mentioned Downton Abbey because the plots of the first three seasons are not full of the histrionics and the blow ups of modern drama, even with a World War happening in its storyline. The modern drama on network TV has tried, unsuccessfully, to rival venues such as HBO and Netflix by upping up the cheap thrills, so that there are fall finales, explosions, murderers, rape, what have you in every episode. Again, DYNASTY in its worse years was quite like that.

But you are right that Downton Abbey was in a sense "modern," because I remember criticism in the UK press when characters would use phrases that had not been coined at the time period when the drama was set. :D

I think something that modern TV, mostly cable in the US, has done in terms of substance is to try to make all characters live in the grey area: the decent ones have a dirty past, the evil ones are redeemed, etc. In that, I think, DYNASTY and DALLAS would indeed suffer, although Adam went through enough permutations to perhaps qualify.

3. Willie O! Tannenbaum

Willie O! Tannenbaum drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,863
    Mostly, yes, but I think it's also the play itself. There's something about the dialogue and timing and editing that feels a little bit too perfect, too effective.
    Not that it bothers me, but I prefer the more natural flow of the classic productions. Maybe it's that "imperfection" that makes it feel more intimate.
    I can think of a few modern tv series that do all these things….
    I like both the "grey area" and the traditional good vs. evil.
    And I think that Blake Carrington was one of the most redeemed characters of the prime time soaps.

4. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,787
    What I love the most about classic tv shows is that it has a slower pacing that gives you a fly on the wall feeling when you watch it. Even when there are dramatic plots it is dealt with in a way that make you feel like it could happen. The focus is on the characters and stories.

There are still some newer shows that focus on it and those are the ones that works. As a viewer I want to get to know the characters and understand their world. If I don't I have no reason to care about them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. MarkSinacori

MarkSinacori Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +124
    I work in the studios most Friday nights so I miss the episodes on TV (I'd probably have fallen alseep to them). I was watching online most of last season when I'd come home. However, I watched the first episode of season 2 and started to feel bored (I don't like Liam or his family or whoever they are, and Alexis is just annoying). Then I skimmed episode 2, 3...I haven't watched an episode or skimmed one since the episode where Steven wanted to move away and it ended with him and Fallon at the Piano. I skimmed that one. I think that was the episode following the one where Kirby said that she was Alexis and Anders' child and instead it turned out to be Steven. I stopped skimming the following week. Alexis is just not doing it for me. She pretty much pops up everywhere, unexpectedly and is super annoying, like when they went to talk Steven into coming home, she just pops up as well, already there or something...it was weird. The whole scenario was. I stopped skimming episodes after that. I would rather it cancel with closure in May.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
  6. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,351
    No offense, @MarkSinacori , but if you work at a studio you must know that profits goes before ratings these days, right?

Since you've predicted this show to be cancelled since episode one and all...

• Like Like x 1
  7. MarkSinacori

MarkSinacori Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +124
    It should have been in season 1. And a few other CW shows as well with the ratings they get on there. This really shouldn't have gotten the 22 episode order last season. Either 13 or a few additional and then it would have been cancelled. That's what I would have done. It doesn't have enough people watching. The show was not good in the beginning. It got better towards then end, then the ratings kept going lower and lower. Season 2 has not been that much of a thrill to watch.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
  8. Michael Yule Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,081
    More than likely there will even be a season 3. Between CW's need to expand to more nights and Netflix's dirt cheap license since the show is already partly paid by the CW, nothing can stop them. They are like a snowflake in Atlanta, full of potential that you know will not create anything of notice, yet still causing more terror than naturally justified.

9. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,573
    I wouldn't mind a 3rd season. If that's all we get, then hopefully the show will get to wrap up its storylines and bow out gracefully, unlike the original show.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  10. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,573
    Why does 'optimistic' seem like an insult around here? :lol:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  11. Miss Piggy and Toni's Very Glamorous Christmas

Miss Piggy and Toni's Very Glamorous Christmas Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,588
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    Not from moi.

[​IMG]

12. Michael Yule Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,081
    It's your "gracefully" that did it. :D The peach reboot would not know gracefully if it hit it like an Oz-infested tornado.

• Funny Funny x 1