1. Show your support for DYNASTY in the battle of the soaps

The Character's Exit

Click here for more details
    Dismiss Notice

Dynasty in HD

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by phil colby, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Gabriel Maxwell

Gabriel Maxwell Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,092
    Original Member Since:
    July 13, 2008
    One more thing, given the issue of the drop in quality raised by Matthew, here are screencaps from the two versions of the season finale - above is the original 4.8 GB episode from Amazon and below is the 1.2 GB episode I was able to get with one-pass conversion.

Obviously, Matthew is right - as you can see, some of the original quality was most definitely lost in the conversion and I'm sorry about that. I do however hope the episodes I got will be satisfactory for the time being, at least until someone else like iTunes comes up with normal-sized episodes.

I just couldn't go through this whole never-ending conversion process again as each episode would take much longer, the episodes we'd get would probably be bigger in size than 1.2 GB, thus the transfer would take much longer, too.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  2. Matthew Blaisdel
    Spaced

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +1,509
    Original Member Since:
    sometime 2005 (i guess)
    Yes, when the natural filmgrain (and with it a lot of picture detail and depth) gets lost, that's never a good sign in HD, as that filmcorn is part of the 35mm film stock material and carrier of lots of picture information.
    But you did the best that was possible in a reasonable amount of time, so thank you so much for another great Dynasty season in HD! :hb:
    That's now 5 more seasons to go. :D
    My wish would be S9 in HD next. Let's see what Amazon or (hopefully) iTunes comes up with next for us.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Gabriel Maxwell

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,092
    Original Member Since:
    July 13, 2008
    By the way, since Dynasty was shot on film, do you know why can't they come up with 16:9 widescreen picture for these HD releases? What I wouldn't give to be able to watch Dynasty on a big screen HDTV without the black side bars.

Or is that going to be a future re-release? Paramount seems to understand many Dynasty fans will double-dip or triple-dip when they're offered better quality, since the show is all about the way it looks.

First we got crappy R2 releases, then superior R1, now these HD downloads... Could we ever see HD in 16:9?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Matthew Blaisdel
    Spaced

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,509
    Original Member Since:
    sometime 2005 (i guess)
    Me too, but i'm afraid Dynasty was shot waaaay to early for that, a decade at least.
    I watch it on VLC with setting "cut 16:10" in the "video" setting tab, which is a bearable compromise with just little cuts up and down and widescreen, only just very small bars are seen then.

But to really open the picture of the negative film for real 16:9 - Dynasty would look very strange. If you have a couple of people in the picture, they would be always awkwardly crowding the center of the screen, and every action would always take place in the center - for no obvious reason. ;)
    And there could be crew members or filming material (lamps etc) be seen at the sides of the picture - or even the end of a set!
    Dynasty wasn't shot with a "save 16:9" area in mind, TV shows didn't have that in mind in general at that time, that came up in about the middle of the 90s.
    Sadly of course - but that's the way things were. :(
    For the same reasons, "Star Trek - The Next Generation" wasn't released in Widescreen on bluray, although a lot of fans asked for that. But i think it was the right decision to leave it at 4:3 format - if only to keep the illusion and the original picture composing intact.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Alexis
    Thinking

Alexis Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,586
    Yea that's always been what I thought about DYNASTY that it wasn't filmed like a film even though it was shot on film. That it was filmed specifically to be shown on TV and those old TV sets. So all the action would be in the centre of the screen and as you say there would be things visible in the frame outside of the centre that were never meant to be seen. The end of a set, or lighting and crew. Though weirdly that makes me want to see it all the more. :)

• Like Like x 3
  6. phil colby

phil colby Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Original Member Since:
    Thanks Matthew, I also could download the last episode now!! :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. phil colby

phil colby Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Original Member Since:
    I thank you Gabriel for alll the work you invested to make it possible sending us this wonderful season

• Like Like x 3
  8. rayray

rayray Soap Chat Newbie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Original Member Since:
    Who the hell knows.
    Hear, hear! Thank you, Gabriel, for making these beautiful episodes available. What a treat!

• Like Like x 2
  9. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,038
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Jermaine

Jermaine Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Original Member Since:
    Yes, there's a big loss in quality and had this been season 1 or 2 I would have been crushed! But since I detest season 5 it doesn't bother me. Besides if it weren't for you none of us would have anything of Dynasty in HD. At least I wouldn't. So a big thank you for sharing with us Dynasty fans, you're awesome! :)

• Like Like x 4
  11. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,038
    Yes! Thank you! :D

• Like Like x 1
  12. Jermaine

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Original Member Since:
    I keep hoping and praying that season 1 will be released in HD. To see the epic 3-part Pilot in HD would be an amaaazing experience! :popcorn: I really can't figure out why they've only remastered certain seasons of Dynasty in HD and skipped others :think:

• Like Like x 3
  13. Gabriel Maxwell

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,092
    Original Member Since:
    July 13, 2008
    I assume they've remastered all of them, but services like iTunes and Amazon choose to offer only some of them in HD (for whatever business reason). Otherwise, how come Amazon offers only season 5 in HD and not seasons 2, 3 and 6, whereas iTunes offers seasons 2, 3 and 6 and not season 5?

14. Matthew Blaisdel
    Spaced

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,509
    Original Member Since:
    sometime 2005 (i guess)
    Of course all seasons of Dynasty are remastered in HD. In the old forum i've posted lots of full resolution screenshots of the pilot in HD, when German network ANIXE aired the first season in HD some years ago. I even opened a thread with this same title for that myself! Did you all forget? :D

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  15. Jermaine

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Original Member Since:
    Well, that was like three years ago Matthew. So yeah, I did forget.

That must be it. Amazon probably chose season 5 because it was Dynasty at its Nielsen rating peak. Itunes probably skipped season 1 because Alexis wasn't in it and they didn't think people would be interested in purchasing season 1 in HD for that reason (which was also the alleged reason for the season 1 DVDs not selling well). Why iTunes skipped season 4-5 and went straight for season 6 I'll never know... If I could just get season 1 in HD I would die happy :D

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  16. Gabriel Maxwell

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,092
    Original Member Since:
    July 13, 2008
    My only explanation is that season 6 sold well on DVD, which frankly wouldn't be surprising to me. Even some people who generally diss the writing of the middle years (emphasis on some, as others express equal disdain for all of them), have a soft spot for some of the things they did in season 6, such as the introduction of Ben & Caress and the steroids-infused second half which culminates in that highly entertaining finale.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +3,527
    Original Member Since:
    September 2000
    I think a lot of people sense that Season 6 should have been the series' peak, even if that's not exactly occurred. I, for one, have often asserted that, barring better writing, Season 6 could have been a bang-up year had it been edited down from 31 to maybe 22 episodes (eliminating most, though not all, of the Krystle-incarceration moments, and compacting other stuff).

As discussed before on the previous version of this website: late Season 6 thru early Season 8 was also the period where the episodes as originally broadcast were splotchy, hot, ruddy, grainy and washed-out almost beyond belief. It was hard to process the fact they were really airing them that way, just as DALLAS' and Lorimar's turn towards that blurry video-editing look was horrifically bad.

So the Region 1 DVDs for DYNASTY, even before HD, were 500% clearer and better-looking than how ABC aired them 30 years ago.

18. BillyCarrington

BillyCarrington Soap Chat Newbie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The thing is, it's not iTunes or amazon who choose which season gets released. It's always the studio and that's what makes the decision even more strange.

19. Matthew Blaisdel
    Spaced

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,509
    Original Member Since:
    sometime 2005 (i guess)
    @Gabriel Maxwell - no new season available in HD yet? I've got so much free space left on my new 2 TB hard drive, makes me mad, so that has to change! :D

20. Gabriel Maxwell

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,092
    Original Member Since:
    July 13, 2008
    I'm afraid I don't see anything new on either iTunes or Amazon. And Amazon still doesn't offer the seasons that are available on iTunes and vice versa.