Dynasty moves to Fridays

Discussion in 'Dynasty 2017' started by Zach, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Zach

Zach Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +366
    http://variety.com/2018/tv/news/cw-midseason-premiere-dates-life-sentence-dynasty-1202655743/

Well, that's not good news. I didn't expect them to move it to Friday that soon, especially since they ordered a full season. I wonder what the chances of a second season renewal are now.

• Informative Informative x 4
  2. Soapwriter12

Soapwriter12 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +259
  3. Zach

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +366
    Life Sentence will take over Dynasty's time slot beginning March 7th. We'll be up to episode #16 by then (if they air an episode every week). That'll leave 6 more episodes for April/May. So I guess Nicolette could show up in #16. But can she save the show on Fridays?! :think:

4. Edie70

Edie70 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +257
    This is unexpected but it looks like a last minute experimental decision. ABC used to do this all the time, they tried sampling new shows with their stable performers and Riverdale keeps getting fantastic numbers by The CW standards at the moment, of course they want to profit from that. And Dynasty usually loses half of their audience. There might be even bigger drops for Dynasty's very modest audience when the show moves to Friday nights. Season 2 might never actually happen. o_O:(

• Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  5. Soapwriter12

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +259
  6. RottenSkipper17

RottenSkipper17 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +91
    I'm pretty concerned about this because Fridays are usually a dead end time slot. Pretty interesting that the CW appeared to agree to the back order mainly because of Nicollette Sheridan's casting. Also I'm actually kind of happy that there might be a change of focus towards Fallon & Alexis's tumultuous relationship. Let's hope that it's as well executed as it sounds. At least I'm looking forward to Alexis & Fallon hashing things out.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +763
    "I’m disappointed in the ratings, I wanted it to do more, but I’m happy with with the production values that Josh, Steph and Sallie are doing,” Pedowitz said. “There are changes coming, I’m thrilled to have Nicollette, she will appear beginning with the 16th episode. I’m looking forward to Nicollette and Liz (Elizabeth Gillies who plays Fallon Carrington) really going at it as a mother-daughter situation, and I think that will add some juice to the show.”

Tonally, Dynasty going forward “could shift a little bit to a mother-daughter play — a lot of it depends on the chemistry — but at the moment things are still in flux with what we will and won’t do. But I think there is a show there for the country to watch.”

Reading between the lines, the producers have the seven episodes from Nicolette's arrival to show some improvement in the show's performance, otherwise it's toast. I wonder will we see the traditional round of axings that usually come with a change in a show's format?

• Like Like x 3
  8. RottenSkipper17

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +91
    @Carrie Fairchild So is it possible that the producers might end up letting go of some of the writers, actors or both?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Edie70

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Hello @RottenSkipper17. You are right. They usually change the writing staff (sometimes even the showrunners), let go of some actors and bring in someone new and fresh. They did this pretty frequently with the new 90210 and it usually seemed really forced.

10. RottenSkipper17

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +91
    @Edie70 Honestly I don't care what actor they fire as long as they don't get rid of Liz Gillies. I really feel like she's the star of the show at the moment because I believe she seems to be the only person that's really keeping it all together. Maybe there's a possibility that the powers that be probably notice this too and that's why they're probably changing the focus to Liz Gillies/Nicollette Sheridan. I don't really care too much about many of the other actors since I don't feel as attached to them for some reason.

As for writers, I'd like to be optimistic on that front but I've seen so many bad writers on daytime soaps in recent years that I really feel like I don't want to push my luck and end up with even worse writers than the ones we have right now.

Anyways, I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that the changes do some good for this show because I honestly do like it even though part of me is very pessimistic about its future.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +763
    I was thinking back to the Melrose Place continuation on the CW in 2009. They were in a similar situation then - the ratings weren't great so they brought in a name (Heather Locklear) and paired her with the show's standout star (Katie Cassidy). They then culled some of the deadwood. Murderous Violet and alcoholic Auggie were replaced by loveable rogue Drew, as they tried to give the show a lighter tone.

If they're looking at possibly making the show about the Fallon / Alexis dynamic, I could see them looking at what's not working and dumping what may be deemed to be "excess baggage".

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Edie70

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +257
    "Tonally, Dynasty going forward “could shift a little bit to a mother-daughter play"

This is very telling. The fact that they're saying this out loud in the press means that they're absolutely unhappy with Cristal and chose to focus on the conflict between Alexis and Fallon instead. Well, I'm honestly not that surprised. Cristal is probably going to be busy with her own "mysterious" storyline. She's not gonna be involved in their catfights. There might be some one liners, insults and bitchiness but probably nothing more. Wise decision, she wouldn't be able to nail this.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. RottenSkipper17

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +91
    This is going to sound crazy but... assuming that Dynasty does get cancelled even with the addition of Nicollette Sheridan... what if despite of the show's failure to bring up ratings people still end up really liking the potential dynamic between Fallon/Alexis? Is there a chance that the CW might end up doing some sort of spinoff with just two those based on their popularity and chemistry if it ends up working out?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  14. Soapwriter12

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +259
    Not good, no show has everbeentruly developed around the dynamics of two performers, unless you talk about abbott, and costello.

15. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +4,673
    The character of Cristal had to be the most carefully cast, and she wasn't -- she's pretty, but you don't feel much for her. (Of course they sabotaged Krystle pretty quickly on the old show, too, even though she was correctly cast with Linda).

They keep hiring the wrong Desperate Housewife. Eva Longoria could have been Cristal. But Sheridan as Alexis? Or that terminal snot-slinging soccer mom Ann Ewing??

16. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +1,907
    I wonder if nuDyansty finally appears on Netflix Germany before it got cancelled. :re:

17. Zach

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +366
    They said it'd be available in late December. That was in October. Nothing new since then. I don't think it'll be on Netflix anytime soon.

18. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +1,907
    So how many days does German Netflix' December have?

19. AndyLaird

AndyLaird Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +166
    Moving it to a graveyard slot is hardly surprising given the ratings it's been getting - all hopes pinned on Netflix viewers then.

Very disappointing if it fails but hardly a surprise, it was so obviously going to be hard to make it succeed as a reboot instead of a continuation. Calling what is basically a different show "Dynasty" just irritates those who watched the original, and it puts off the younger generation by linking it to something they'd see as dated. Also, whilst the characters are rich, they are hardly the "1% of the 1%" - by that standard they seem unexceptional.

All that said, I really hope they carry on with it now they've started, and renew it for another season (and beyond) as there is much to like and a lot of potential yet to tap. I'd only want it cancelled if someone else could do something better with the franchise, rather than lose Dynasty from the schedules again.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  20. Gabriel Maxwell

Gabriel Maxwell Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,315
    I was hoping the back 9 episodes was a sure shot from the beginning due to the Netflix deal, but it looks I was wrong. It's very disappointing, as I love the show.

Regardless of the casting of Sheridan, I really can't see how Dynasty will rise in the ratings moving to Fridays which is not only a lower-rated night (with respect to younger demos), but the show is now expected to anchor the night at 8pm.

Also, if I understand this schedule correctly - there will be a break from the end of February (when I think episode 16 will air introducing Alexis) till mid April. That also won't do the show any favors. It could drop to half a million viewers and a 0.1.

So, yes - it now has the stench of Melrose 2009, but I'll still be hoping for a Sheridan-infused miracle.