Dynasty moves to Fridays

Discussion in 'Dynasty 2017' started by Zach, Jan 7, 2018.

1. JamesF

JamesF Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Until this point I suspect the CW were hoping for a repeat of Riverdale's success by releasing to Netflix over the summer, building momentum and then seeing a sharp rise for season 2. However this move does make me think the CW have lost faith in that. I'm enjoying the show for what it is but it doesn't necessarily have the tightly plotted binge factor that Riverdale did, particularly given it got the full season order.

2. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +10,559
    How could this show have lasted for 7 seasons? Everything they could have done wrong, they did it.
    The story, the cast, the look of the show - it's almost as if they didn't want it to succeed.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Gabriel Maxwell

Gabriel Maxwell Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,245
    I loved the story, the cast and the look of the show in the first season. Especially the New England setting (though the show is filmed in Canada).

My problem with Once Upon a Time is how convoluted it got over the years. I simply lost the thread. It all became a blur of fairytales and the cast got onto auto-pilot.

But I thought the very beginning of the series was beautifully done. The Mad Hatter episode was one of the best of the series.

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. MarkSinacori

MarkSinacori Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +104
    So is this a sign it's more closer to getting cancelled?

The show is ruined with the Colbys being poorly written. Every other character has has something good about them. Fallon is a bore because of her business which never ever happens.

Nothing about cutting back episode order? Just the move of the airdates? I still would say that might not matter, since it's got that deal with Netflix. But others are saying it's a bad that they did that. By now they must be finished filming at least 16 episodes by now.

5. MarkSinacori

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +104

If they cut the show to whatever number episode they are filming now or get it to 21 episodes and not give the full 22, that's a bad sign to me. Just from many past shows I've liked and watched and saw end after a single season. 13...18...20...21...anything along those numbers will be bad if we don't get the full 22. But by now they must be taping at least episode 16 or so? Meaning we are getting at least another 6 episodes and more, unless they say they are cutting back the 22 episode order to a lesser one. If that happens, to me I believe that's a bad sign. I don't follow nightly airings, but a lot of you guys are saying Friday is bad and the ratings will be worse.

6. Soapwriter12

Soapwriter12 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +252
    They only got the full 22 episodes, becuasethe head of the CW was able to get Sheridan to play alexis, if she didn't come abord, they would have ended the season at 13 epsiodes, so the future of the show depends on Nicolette as Alexis.

7. MarkSinacori

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +104
    7 episodes with Alexis...that is if they don't cut the episode order down from 22 and make it lower.

My only suggestion would be for the Colbys to be gone by the finale. GONE! They are the worst part of the show.

I actually like the Cristal past storyline. As long as they don't do what Dallas did. It will be tolerable.

Sammy Jo is a good character.

Blake is fine. Grant is a good actor.

Joseph is good! Love his scenes with Sammy Jo!

Fallon can be soooo much better if she just stops talking all "My Business" and actually has an OFFICE and WORKERS! Where are those extras?! We don't see an office full of workers! Just her and Jeff in that poorly lit crap room! Hopefully the cut out Jeff and Fallon takes control of her office and goes head to head with Blake.

Kill off Monica and Jeff! Have them and Cesil together and they all go off a cliff or something! JUST GET RID OF THE COLBYS!

8. Soaplover

Soaplover Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Sadly even with nicolette...the show won't improve ratings wise because the show was revived in the wrong era. It should have been revived a few years earlier...or even in the 2000s pre recession.

Right now, the majority of the country isn't in the mood to watch rich people and their problems. The show shouldn't have killed off Matthew or made Claudia too crazy...becaude they could have been a relatable middle class couple struggling with mentral illness, insurance costs..possibly hours being cut due to Blake wanting to save money..etc.

I would have had the Carringtons shown as villains and not the heros...with Cristal marrying into the family and being more sympathetic (which means a different actress that d oesnt play c ristal as entitled.).

The Colbys simply don't work...and could have been saved for later...or just have Jeff in at first then gradually introduce his family in season 2.

Alexis could be a former working class girl that married blake..realized she didn't want to be controlled and left but kept from seeing the kids by Blake....and made something of herself in her own right.

I think if the shown is renewed for season 2...i have a feeling we will get new show runners. I'd kick Josh and Stephanie off...maybe let Sallie Patrick steer along with someone from the heyday of primetime soaps that knows how to structure a plot (i.e. a Darren star type).

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +10,559
    I thought THE CROWN was doing well?
    Rich people are also people, they only have to make them interesting - and make their problems my problems.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Soapwriter12

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +252
    HBO is doing Succession, and Fox is doing Filthy Rich,

11. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +10,559
    Andrew MacAllan's novel "Succession" would have been great as a tv mini-series.
    [​IMG]
    It's about three men, very different in character and heritage, who start a conglomerate (with all the ups & downs and family trouble of course).

12. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,226
    I assume the CW believes that anything airing after Riverdale should automatically hold onto that audience, and they believed Dynasty was not doing enough to achieve that.
    I'm also going to suggest that the CW shifted Dynasty to Fridays because 1) they want to sample another show after Riverdale in hopes of generating another ratings hit, and 2) Dynasty is making money via other revenue streams so they can air it in a low revenue slot (Fridays' low ratings = low revenue from commercials) without as much impact on profits.

Networks will often put its promising new shows immediately after an established hit (or nestle the new show between two hits), to give it maximum exposure. Dynasty was actually lucky to get that slot, since I don't think there's any show on the CW that would be considered a "companion piece" to a show like Dynasty--but it was certainly better than being paired with one of their superhero shows, whose audience wants a very different type of show. I guess they thought Riverdale has a serialized story, and is essentially rebooting the comic books in the same way Dynasty is rebooting the original TV show. Whatever the case, the reputation of Fridays and Saturdays as the TV retirement home/graveyard is well earned. The irony is that the demographic most likely to be home on those nights watching TV is 55+ year olds--the same folks who remember the original Dynasty. It would take something much more innovative and/or earth-shaking than NuDynasty to change the viewership of Friday nights, though.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +10,559
    !!

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,226
    I was a mere child of 10 yrs. old when Dynasty premiered, so I'm dangerously close to that demographic. The rest of you? Babes.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,300
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  16. Rove

Rove Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,195
    A good point. Perhaps another soapchater was right, Dynasty should have been a prequel. I could easily find myself watching Dynasty set in the late 40's early 50's, as I believe it lends itself to that era. Give us - the viewer - something different to admire. A true class system where snobbery was rife. Then....release the cat amongst the pigeons.
    Joan Collins.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  17. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +10,559
    I'm inclined to agree, but it's not like we had a choice what it was going to be (prequel, sequel or remake).

But it would be very hard for them to live up to our expectations because we've been fantasizing about the subject so many years now that it almost has become an alternative reality.
    Also, there's something appealing about the mystery of Blake & Alexis' marriage.
    We never really knew who told the truth about what happened and why, except what happened to Roger Grimes as it was explained in season 9.

The cast has to be the crème de la crème, the scenery breathtaking, the script brilliant - in other words: perfect.
    If a prequel was done in NuDynasty style I'd lose the will to live.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  18. Soapwriter12

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +252
    The Genre is revivDynasty's problems are its own.

This show is simply not a very good show, maybe nicollette will force the show to up its game.

19. Rove

Rove Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,195
    Well as you know Willie I've yet to watch Dynasty 2.0 so will pass judgement until viewed. It's a shame the big-wigs are not prepared to take a gamble and try something a little different. Setting the Carrington family back in the late 40's early 50's will set it apart from all the other dribble on commercial television. It might even trigger viewer interest if those production values are set at a very high standard as you mention. Clearly Downton Abbey had mass appeal around the world and its story began in 1912 so there is obviously a market there for period drama if done well.

But...as you say we're not likely to see anything of that nature.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +10,559
    • Like Like x 2